Halfway House Walkinstown

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Halfway House Walkinstown

Post by Hornet »

Read a story in the Tallaght Echo that the liquidators have moved in. Would be a shame to see it go. Great pint of Guinness in there. Have you heard anything DonnyB? Hoping to have a few pints and a bite to eat in there, after the game tonight.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: Halfway House Walkinstown

Post by Donny B. »

Hornet wrote:Read a story in the Tallaght Echo that the liquidators have moved in. Would be a shame to see it go. Great pint of Guinness in there. Have you heard anything DonnyB? Hoping to have a few pints and a bite to eat in there, after the game tonight.
Yeah poor Gerry is gone. Was there yesterday and heard from a regular that they think he made a few bad investments, but no one knows for sure cause he was never the most talkative man at the best of times.

Place is still open though for the moment and hopefully they will find a buyer as it's still a going concern and certainly the bar is always busy and they do pretty well in the food too. Would be very sad if it went cause there's no other pub in the area that I particularly like.
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

The only fcking decent pub within a stones throw of the folks place. Used to be a smashing place with the red leatherette . Its a step up up now.

Choices now -:
Cherrier - Sweet Jesus
Kestrel - Good Lord
Pines - Maybe Maybe
Traders - And Jesus wept
Sub going bust as well , feel sorry for the staff but not the owners
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Leinster Exile wrote:The only fcking decent pub within a stones throw of the folks place. Used to be a smashing place with the red leatherette . Its a step up up now.

Choices now -:
Cherrier - Sweet Jesus
Kestrel - Good Lord
Pines - Maybe Maybe
Traders - And Jesus wept
Sub going bust as well , feel sorry for the staff but not the owners
Someone said on Boards the Sub has re-opened. Place is no loss anyway, but also feel sorry for the staff.
Agree with you about the other options. Pines isn't that bad, but it's an awful place to watch a match cause of the way it's set up.
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

I reckon the writing has to be on the wall for Brady's too. Any time I've been in there in the past two years or so it's been deserted. Three of us went for a few drinks on Thursday evening; for 2.5 of hte 3 hours we were there, we were the only customers. But they had five staff on. You do the math.
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

honeyec wrote:I reckon the writing has to be on the wall for Brady's too. Any time I've been in there in the past two years or so it's been deserted. Three of us went for a few drinks on Thursday evening; for 2.5 of hte 3 hours we were there, we were the only customers. But they had five staff on. You do the math.
Brady's in Terenure Village?
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Is the 2 Sisters not close by? Seems like a nice boozer.
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

TerenureJim wrote:
honeyec wrote:I reckon the writing has to be on the wall for Brady's too. Any time I've been in there in the past two years or so it's been deserted. Three of us went for a few drinks on Thursday evening; for 2.5 of hte 3 hours we were there, we were the only customers. But they had five staff on. You do the math.
Yep.
the spoofer wrote:Is the 2 Sisters not close by? Seems like a nice boozer.
Yep, the Two Sisters is lovely. Big Leinster fans too, so never any issue with football viewing clashes.
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

TerenureJim wrote:
Another place I wouldn't really miss either. Used to drink there but manager at the time was ignorant as muck and switched to Terenure Inn with the odd visit to Vaughans.

Haven't been to the Two Sisters too often, but when I have it is very nice alright. Quiet place but a nice local.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Donny B. wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:
Another place I wouldn't really miss either. Used to drink there but manager at the time was ignorant as muck and switched to Terenure Inn with the odd visit to Vaughans.

Haven't been to the Two Sisters too often, but when I have it is very nice alright. Quiet place but a nice local.
Two Sisters is a great pint of Guinness, well worth checking out for those who've never been.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

A local landmark pub near and dear to my heart, The Salmon Leap, closed its doors a while back. A great rugby pub, prided itself on the porter, stunned to see it closed.
The drinking culture in Ireland has changed dramatically. These pubs survived/thrived in recessions worse than this in the past.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

It couldn't compete with the Courtyard etc. Was never a pub I'd have gone to for rugby. Although, none in the area are pubs I go to, for any reason. Also Salmon Leap was gutted in a fire a wee while ago, so unlikely to see it open again.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

the Courtyard? yep great craic on a warm summer night. If its cold/wet, avoid the place. The bar itself is an afterthought. About 10 people can sit and see the TV screen in comfort. Very poor layout and atmosphere, pity since its sited on the original Guinness brewery.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

Have to admit I've never done too many pubs in Nure or Harolds Cross even though the family is originally from down that direction. 2 Sisters always looked like a nice place to frequent. Flanagans in Harolds Cross is not !

I always found it strange when I moved to England that pubs actually went bust , now its happening in dublin , very odd
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

blockhead wrote:the Courtyard? yep great craic on a warm summer night. If its cold/wet, avoid the place. The bar itself is an afterthought. About 10 people can sit and see the TV screen in comfort. Very poor layout and atmosphere, pity since its sited on the original Guinness brewery.
To watch a match? Get a taxi to the Roost
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan