Off the Ball team quit en masse.....

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Off the Ball team quit en masse.....

Post by johng »

Finally caught a few minutes of the show. Looks remarkably like the sport version of top gear. And I say that as someone who is not a fan of top gear.

However. I did only catch a few minutes.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:Finally caught a few minutes of the show. Looks remarkably like the sport version of top gear. And I say that as someone who is not a fan of top gear.

I liked top gear in its early guise (before they became adventure programming for the middle aged).
It's banter with visuals... (but maybe a little more relaxed than the interrogation style set-up on Bluestalk)
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Peg Leg wrote:
johng wrote:Finally caught a few minutes of the show. Looks remarkably like the sport version of top gear. And I say that as someone who is not a fan of top gear.

I liked top gear in its early guise (before they became adventure programming for the middle aged).
It's banter with visuals... (but maybe a little more relaxed than the interrogation style set-up on Bluestalk)
Ah. You mean in the 70s when Noel Edmonds used to do it, and yerman the drummer out of Supergrass's Da?

Yeah. It was good then. :)

That tosser clarkson got involved and it was only going one way.

Speaking of Bluestalk.........

It was up at half 9 last Thursday. I'd say Dave must be nose down in his cornflakes, snoring.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Patience dear boy, patience.
I have Bumbleflex
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

A friend of mine who saw it had exactly the same comment. Poor man's Top Gear!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

jezzer wrote:

A friend of mine who saw it had exactly the same comment. Poor man's Top Gear!
Even the crowd/dodgy old couch set up is pretty well cogged from T'Gear. Shame they didn't go down the inspired Badiel & Skinner Fantasy Football route (maybe too comedy orientated).
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Deserves a :clap:
Quality show of late.
Daniel Sullivan
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Pfft! #Monkeano was barely mentioned.

Fla sending Shaggy into fits of laughter with every word was nice though.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Lets talk a bit about David Moyes and Manchester United
Daniel Sullivan
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Listening to some OTB podcasts this morning previewing the USPGA. It seems from the original OTB crew (Gilroy) to the guys who do second captions and now the lads who replaced them, everyone on Newstalk or who used to work for Newstalk, talks exactly the same way.

How often do you hear Gilroy and McDevitt say "I suppose" in the middle of a question? And they, plus everyone else, always tries to paint each interview as one that is really deep and thoughtful, when so many are pretty uneventful. "Brilliant stuff there as always......" I didn't find anything brilliant about the interview. It was fine. I enjoyed it. But hardly brilliant.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

suisse wrote:Listening to some OTB podcasts this morning previewing the USPGA. It seems from the original OTB crew (Gilroy) to the guys who do second captions and now the lads who replaced them, everyone on Newstalk or who used to work for Newstalk, talks exactly the same way.

How often do you hear Gilroy and McDevitt say "I suppose" in the middle of a question? And they, plus everyone else, always tries to paint each interview as one that is really deep and thoughtful, when so many are pretty uneventful. "Brilliant stuff there as always......" I didn't find anything brilliant about the interview. It was fine. I enjoyed it. But hardly brilliant.
Brilliant stuff, as always, there from suisse.

:D
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Listened to the 1st 10 mins to see what was coming up on the show. Not a fukn mention of the league starting back up...
Daniel Sullivan
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Peg Leg wrote:Listened to the 1st 10 mins to see what was coming up on the show. Not a fukn mention of the league starting back up...
Did you not get the GT Munster email 4 min slot earlier in the week?

To be fair they had to give a good bit of coverage to GAA between football semi and hurling final this week, you'd wonder if they wouldn't be better off splitting out GAA over the summer with one weekly dedicated podcast to the GAA sports so they can still have one show to cover all other sports.

I think whoever the editor/producer is should also draw a harsher line on the constant spill of football topics into the main show. There is a dedicated twice weekly football show. Unless Ireland are in a major championship can we please keep the footie out of the ordinary general podcasts.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

suisse wrote:
How often do you hear Gilroy and McDevitt say "I suppose" in the middle of a question?
"I suppose" is the new "loike". Drives me feckin ballistic.
I blame ROG. He started it.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

It's a good culchie one. Some Gah lads can stick it in a sentence several times with unexpected and sometimes funny results.

"We'll say" is another one.

"Yerman Davey Fitzgerald has, we'll say, a habit of, I suppose, talking in, we'll say, a high pitched voice, that, I suppose, gets, we'll say, higher, I suppose, the more, we'll say, excited, he, I suppose, becomes."
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

johng wrote:It's a good culchie one. Some Gah lads can stick it in a sentence several times with unexpected and sometimes funny results.

"We'll say" is another one.

"Yerman Davey Fitzgerald has, we'll say, a habit of, I suppose, talking in, we'll say, a high pitched voice, that, I suppose, gets, we'll say, higher, I suppose, the more, we'll say, excited, he, I suppose, becomes."
Most annoying voice on radio currently? Actively turn off the ball (see what I did there) when he pipes up.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

They are the culchie ones. Dub ones include "Y'know" and "Eeeeeh". More generic ones include "basically" in every sentence

One that irritates me is "Yeah" used at the end of every sentence as a question.

"So, we all know what we are doing? Yeah? I will do this stuff over here. Yeah? and you will do all that other stuff over there. Yeah?"

Loike is a bit of a American/d4 one, but Cork people have been doing it for years.

There are other posher ones such as, "As it were" Most of us use some form of it. I have been accused of liking a good Eeeeh myself. :wink:
future international
Enlightened

Post by future international »

CONFIRMED: Newstalk's @offtheball will be broadcast on Setanta Ireland five days a week.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

future international wrote:CONFIRMED: Newstalk's @offtheball will be broadcast on Setanta Ireland five days a week.
Gosh that should be exciting
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Hippo wrote:
future international wrote:CONFIRMED: Newstalk's @offtheball will be broadcast on Setanta Ireland five days a week.
Gosh that should be exciting
They did that before and it didn't work. God only knows why they're bothering again.

What did people think of Drico's debut as "Guest Presenter"? He was certainly more "Guest" than "Presenter" anyway, but it was a very enjoyable interview anyway.