Property Tax Estimates

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Vamos los azules
Mullet

Property Tax Estimates

Post by Vamos los azules »

So, I got my property tax estimate today. According to the Revenue estimate my apartment has not only managed not to lose value during the nationwide property crash, it has somehow managed to buck the trend and GAIN in value over the past 3 years.

Even more impressively, this special apartment that I have is also apparently worth 125k more than an identical one that one of my neighbours is currently selling.

Do feel free to post any similar tales of magical properties such as mine :roll:
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Re: Property Tax Estimates

Post by limecat »

Vamos los azules wrote:So, I got my property tax estimate today. According to the Revenue estimate my apartment has not only managed not to lose value during the nationwide property crash, it has somehow managed to buck the trend and GAIN in value over the past 3 years.

Even more impressively, this special apartment that I have is also apparently worth 125k more than an identical one that one of my neighbours is currently selling.

Do feel free to post any similar tales of magical properties such as mine :roll:
Can I suggest that you immediately sell your apartment and buy your neighbours instead!
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

limecat wrote:
Vamos los azules wrote:So, I got my property tax estimate today. According to the Revenue estimate my apartment has not only managed not to lose value during the nationwide property crash, it has somehow managed to buck the trend and GAIN in value over the past 3 years.

Can I suggest that you immediately sell your apartment and buy your neighbours instead!
:lol:

Perhaps someone In Revenue wants to buy it as apparently they value it so highly.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Speaking as an interested viewer from across the water just how shambolic has this property tax thing been? Did they just randomly draw circles on a map or how did they do it?
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

domhnallj wrote:Speaking as an interested viewer from across the water just how shambolic has this property tax thing been? Did they just randomly draw circles on a map or how did they do it?
Remember the Poll Tax in the UK, well that's about how shambolic things are here at present.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

domhnallj wrote:Speaking as an interested viewer from across the water just how shambolic has this property tax thing been? Did they just randomly draw circles on a map or how did they do it?
They have broken it down to the following,
Area - House Type - Money!
Area: there seems to be quite a few areas broken out from Revenues Online Interactive Map, however they have applied the valuations in broad strokes across these areas.
House type: there are 5
Apartment/Flat
Bungalow
Detached
Semi Detached
Terrace

Hypothetical example:
So this detached house
Costs the same as This detached house, if it's in the same area:
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

It's almost as if they have never heard of these people, just as a for example,http://airo.ie/ you know, a publicly funded body that produces spatial data like this for fun, and from whom you could get, at no cost, a much more granular break down by area.

Then again any introduction of a capital based tax really, really sticks in the craw of the Irish elite. In order to soften the blow they made sure that it wasn't actually going to relate strongly to the value of assets.

They only did it in the first place because the looney lefties in the IMF insisted.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Peg Leg wrote:
They have broken it down to the following,
Area - House Type - Money!
Area: there seems to be quite a few areas broken out from Revenues Online Interactive Map, however they have applied the valuations in broad strokes across these areas.
House type: there are 5
Apartment/Flat
Bungalow
Detached
Semi Detached
Terrace
Just attempted the interactive map. I tried to value my parents house in Fingal but drew a blank since their house type isn't on the list (or my understanding on their house type doesn't match Revenue's). Presumably the band will be valued for tax at a later date (or a different web page)?
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Daft's Valuation system is way better(made my house cheaper). By adding in one or 2 extra questions they've made it more accurate. But it might have been anti family to ask about number of bedrooms.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

The estimate for our road is bang on, pleasantly surprised.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

So what happens if you go with the estimate and the estimate is too low? Will they eventually chase you down? Or because it was their estimate will you be exempt from being queried for a period?

House next door to us sold for double the amount of 2 round the corner. I think it was 2010 and the other 2 were 2011.

Obviously it was maxed out when the other 2 were smaller with much less done to them.

Basically someone who has not bought their house in the last 10 or 15 years can only have a vague guess of the value.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Don't know whether to laugh or cry but (and you may need to bear with me here), I live in Phase 2 (or 1.25 as it's known) of a housing estate in ballygobackwards. Now, as it is a ghost estate (phase 2 & 3 are to incl approx 50 homes- there are 9 and a lot of grass & kerbing) I am exempt from paying the tax (woohoo, for me) however the estate next door(or nearly all the others in the area) are not.

The valuation for a detached house in the area is given by revenue as- €180,000.

Yesterday I found out that the bank has found a buyer for the remaining estate (see picture taken 4 yrs ago, the only difference now is more grass) which includes the following:
Kerbing for phase 2 & 3 complete, electrical sub distribution to sites complete, drainage to all housing sites complete, first layer tarmac and road drainage complete and 3 vacant houses (1 complete, 2 requiring internal 2nd fix only).

Guess how much the bank is selling the estate for (bear in mind that there are no debts being passed on to the purchaser)?
Show Spoiler:
€275,000
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Got to be a bargain for some aspiring developer. If you were so inclined and had a bit of equity in your mortgage you could jump in there. Get the tradies in on a shoestring and make a tidy profit.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:Got to be a bargain for some aspiring developer. If you were so inclined and had a bit of equity in your mortgage you could jump in there. Get the tradies in on a shoestring and make a tidy profit.
Is that not why it's like that in the first place?
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Peg Leg wrote:
johng wrote:Got to be a bargain for some aspiring developer. If you were so inclined and had a bit of equity in your mortgage you could jump in there. Get the tradies in on a shoestring and make a tidy profit.
Yeah Baby. That's the point.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
Yeah Baby. That's the point.
Ah, I like, it. Let the good times roll!
The Lazarus Tiger starts here!!!
Daniel Sullivan
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

johng wrote:So what happens if you go with the estimate and the estimate is too low? Will they eventually chase you down? Or because it was their estimate will you be exempt from being queried for a period?

House next door to us sold for double the amount of 2 round the corner. I think it was 2010 and the other 2 were 2011.

Obviously it was maxed out when the other 2 were smaller with much less done to them.

Basically someone who has not bought their house in the last 10 or 15 years can only have a vague guess of the value.
It's a self assessment tax so you are responsible for the figure.

You're Band Drico by the way :wink:
A proud Winsome Fluter
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

oh. in that case I'll go with your assessment. seems favourable as I know someone who bought a house on his road at the same time he did.

thanks boss
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
johng wrote:So what happens if you go with the estimate and the estimate is too low? Will they eventually chase you down? Or because it was their estimate will you be exempt from being queried for a period?

It's a self assessment tax so you are responsible for the figure.

You're Band Drico by the way :wink:
Actually, you may get away with a Darce, looking at the latest sale.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Peg Leg wrote:

Guess how much the bank is selling the estate for (bear in mind that there are no debts being passed on to the purchaser)?
Show Spoiler:
€275,000
Seemingly my estate (see above) is not a ghost estate and eligible for the Property Tax????????
There is one additional house built since that photo was taken.

Exempt Housing list Here
Daniel Sullivan