Flights to Aus and NZ

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

IanD
Official Mascot

Flights to Aus and NZ

Post by IanD »

Morning All

My folks are thinking of travelling to Australia and New Zealand later this year. Any advice on flights from here to Oz and from Oz to NZ?

Cheers Ian
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Flights to Aus and NZ

Post by johng »

IanD wrote:Morning All

My folks are thinking of travelling to Australia and New Zealand later this year. Any advice on flights from here to Oz and from Oz to NZ?

Cheers Ian
Get a round the world package. Best value. and you can return via the States, South America, South Africa, Aisia, wherever. You can plan in various stops across Aus & NZ plus some pacific Islands etc.

If you just want the best and least hassle way of getting to Australia. (which you might if they are not too sprightly) Via Dubai/Abu Dhabi with Emirates/Etihad direct from Dublin.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Travelled to NZ with Emirates. Found them great
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Did a round the world with Air New Zealand once. Very comfortable, great food and plenty of Rugby on the AVOD. Took in 5 stopovers, which, apart from the shitehole that is L.A., were very enjoyable.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

IanD wrote:Morning All

Cheers Ian
If they're flying there and back (as opposed to round the world) try as few stops as possible. Nothing worse than getting off a 12 hour flight from somewhere like Singapore only to spend a few hours in the likes of Heathrow. If the option of flying Dublin-Dubai/Abu Dhabi-Australia is reasonably priced then it's the best bet.

If going around the world and flying from New Zealand to the USA, see if it's possible to fly from NZ to San Francisco instead of Los Angeles. LA is a bit of a hole.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

For a straight trip to Oz, use one of the middle eastern airlines (Emirates, Gulf Air or Eithad). Easy connections without the hassle of US or UK airports.

Book your flights between Oz and NZ with Air New Zealand or Qantas online (they work the same as here, generally the earlier you book the cheaper they are).

NB: RTW tickets may no longer be cheaper given the price of fuel (and theres now a lot more competition on what they call the Kangaroo route).
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

Try looking at e-travel.ie. The last couple of times I went to Oz, and when I flew to NY, they worked out cheapest for flights. They also give a range of options in terms of timings, etc.

They're a real, Irish based travel agency, so they're bonded. This means that, on the off-chance that the airline or travel agency goes bust, you're not stranded. I know that's not really likely, but it's a bit of extra security compared to booking directly with the airline.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Was looking at gohop.ie the other day for honeymoon purposes and they seemed to have some good flight offers for long haul
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Never been to either but from flying home, there are a lot of people transferring like me in Abu Dhabi. Emirates and Ethihad are about $250 cheaper return than flying with a European or Far Eastern and there flight times are normally a lot more convenient - although the flight with Ethi from Dublin is at 08:30. But they get you in, like Emirates, at lunch time (Dublin) instead of flying through Europe.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

AFAIK, Ethihad charge between $100-$200 if you want a 24 hour lay over in Abu Dhabi too. Totally worth it, especially since you save that amount by not flying a European carrier.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Thanks for the gohop.ie and e-travel.ie recommendations. Some great deals there and have saved myself a few hundred straight away. Will never understand how pricing flights works though. My selection was for Dublin - Cape Town via London. When I removed the Dublin - London leg (as I could book this myself with more convenient flight times) the price went up by about 30%!

But all in all, can highly recommend those sites now!
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

ceemec wrote:Thanks for the gohop.ie and e-travel.ie recommendations. Some great deals there and have saved myself a few hundred straight away. Will never understand how pricing flights works though. My selection was for Dublin - Cape Town via London. When I removed the Dublin - London leg (as I could book this myself with more convenient flight times) the price went up by about 30%!

But all in all, can highly recommend those sites now!
Just be careful booking your own connection flights, it may be cheaper but if anything happens and you subequently miss a flight (could be the major leg of a trip) you will be on your own and will have to rebook at the rate on the day. If you book a through ticket then the airline has to look after you (putting you on next avaliable flight FOC).

A few years back when i went to Dubai for the 7's was going to book my own AL flight to LHR and get a BA flight from there to Dubai, was €200 cheaper than buying a through fare on BA.com leaving Dublin. Decided against it which is just as well as the AL flight I was on to LHR was late, would have had to pay for a new Dubai flight myself but they had to look after me.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Fair point, SS. It wasn't even the times too much (although the way out left me with about 8 hours in Heathrow) but the flight back required me to change from Heathrow over to Gatwick which would be the last thing I'd want after coming off a long haul flight. Will look into all options!
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

ceemec wrote:Fair point, SS. It wasn't even the times too much (although the way out left me with about 8 hours in Heathrow) but the flight back required me to change from Heathrow over to Gatwick which would be the last thing I'd want after coming off a long haul flight. Will look into all options!
Had to do that once when flight was changed last minute, its a bitch even with the direct bus servive avaliable.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Thanks for all the info.

Cheers Ian
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!