Anyone else using Hotmail/Outlook lately?

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

TheBear
Enlightened

Anyone else using Hotmail/Outlook lately?

Post by TheBear »

Is there anyone else out there who has been recently upgraded from Hotmail to Outlook? If you have, and if you get notifications about new posts on threads, you may now see limecat's beautiful visage when you are alerted to on-site activity.

For those of you not lucky enough to fall into this category, I'm willing to share the wealth.

*** Removed by Mod ***
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Re: Anyone else using Hotmail/Outlook lately?

Post by limecat »

They've obviously integrated facebook search.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

TheBear wrote:Is there anyone else out there who has been recently upgraded from Hotmail to Outlook? If you have, and if you get notifications about new posts on threads, you may now see limecat's beautiful visage when you are alerted to on-site activity.

For those of you not lucky enough to fall into this category, I'm willing to share the wealth.

*** Removed by Mod ***
Hotmail is an online free email system. Outlook is an email client.

Reading between the lines I think you may mean either you have changed from viewing your hotmail emails in a web browser to viewing them in Outlook OR that Microsoft have integrated Outlook functionality into their hotmail web interface.

Not using either I am not sure.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

johng wrote:
TheBear wrote:Is there anyone else out there who has been recently upgraded from Hotmail to Outlook? If you have, and if you get notifications about new posts on threads, you may now see limecat's beautiful visage when you are alerted to on-site activity.

*** Removed by Mod ***
Hotmail is an online free email system. Outlook is an email client.

Reading between the lines I think you may mean either you have changed from viewing your hotmail emails in a web browser to viewing them in Outlook OR that Microsoft have integrated Outlook functionality into their hotmail web interface.

Not using either I am not sure.
Hotmail has been integrated into outlook (the web / cloud mail version, not the old-school outlook application)
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Ah.
So if you have a hotmail account you now have a outlook like interface in a web browser?
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

johng wrote:Ah.
So if you have a hotmail account you now have a outlook like interface in a web browser?
Outlook.com is the new Hotmail (with old Hotmail accounts being force-migrated to Outlook.com accounts, keeping their email addresses). Outlook.com is a new web mail product (actually pretty decent), that looks nothing like Outlook the native Mac/Win client, thankfully, and also different from Outlook Web App/Access (OWA) for Exchange users. Clear. As. Mud! Outlook.com is worth a look, though!
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

Outlook is nice; I find it almost as nice as Gmail to use. The old Hotmail interface is horrible.

On a related note, WTF is with the new Gmail compose they keep trying to get me to switch to? Why on earth would I prefer typing into a tiny box in the corner of the screen? Madness.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

sid wrote:Outlook is nice; I find it almost as nice as Gmail to use. The old Hotmail interface is horrible.

On a related note, WTF is with the new Gmail compose they keep trying to get me to switch to? Why on earth would I prefer typing into a tiny box in the corner of the screen? Madness.
Wow! Not even as nice as gmail? Must be horrendous. :shock:
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

meinster wrote:
Outlook.com is the new Hotmail (with old Hotmail accounts being force-migrated to Outlook.com accounts, keeping their email addresses). Outlook.com is a new web mail product (actually pretty decent), that looks nothing like Outlook the native Mac/Win client, thankfully, and also different from Outlook Web App/Access (OWA) for Exchange users. Clear. As. Mud! Outlook.com is worth a look, though!
Actually was perfectly clear. :) Thanks. I get it now.
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

johng wrote:
sid wrote:Outlook is nice; I find it almost as nice as Gmail to use. The old Hotmail interface is horrible.

:lol:

Go ahead, suggest an alternative :)
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Access your gmail or whatever in an email client of your choosing.
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

meinster wrote:
Outlook.com is the new Hotmail (with old Hotmail accounts being force-migrated to Outlook.com accounts, keeping their email addresses). Outlook.com is a new web mail product (actually pretty decent), that looks nothing like Outlook the native Mac/Win client, thankfully, and also different from Outlook Web App/Access (OWA) for Exchange users. Clear. As. Mud!
What he said.
johng wrote:

I don't really like either of them.

Gmail: My work e-mail has been force-migrated over to gmail interface, and the default settings have led to some, eh, unfortunate forwarding of internal mails due to the default 'conversation' setting. Even with that turned off, there are some very annoying defaults (like flagging everything as 'Important') and other unwanted impacts of using an imap client (like listing individual search results in multiple folder).

Outlook.com: I don't like the fact that you cannot easily see what time of day an e-mail was sent if it was sent prior to the current day. You see the time if it was sent today, but the date if it was sent earlier. A minor issue, perhaps, but it does irk me. Also, it's a pain in the ass that there is nothing that I can do to undo the Facebook integration (which was the original nominal start to the thread).
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

johng wrote:Access your gmail or whatever in an email client of your choosing.
Well, I quite liked the Outlook client for my work e-mails, but now that it's linking with google mail, there are some largely unavoidable annoyances (see above).

Not going to bitch too much about the outlook.com interface, bar the automatic linking with social networks, which I distinctly dislike.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Thunderbird is ok. I use a custom built email system since the late 90s. Before that I had a domain registerd and hosted on a local provider with just standard pop mail. never used hotmail. Only have gmail because I have an android phone. Only use it as an address for subscribing to social media and stupid sh1t like that.
I would never use my work email to subscribe to social media. I don't even let my phone sync address books with any social media or gmail etc.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

johng wrote: I don't even let my phone sync address books with any social media or gmail etc.
Particularly as Facebook (for example) can eat your contacts and replace them with stupid facebook mails (okay, it may not do that right now, but it has in the recent past and some other one will do it again).

I have a fondness for Hotmail, I've had an account since a couple of months after it came out. It's therefore my longest lasting address (physical or non) in my life. I can't really get rid of it for sentimental reasons. Went to my mail yesterday and there was the inbox: chock full of spam as per usual. Which is why I stopped using it over 10 years ago.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

TheBear wrote:Outlook.com: I don't like the fact that you cannot easily see what time of day an e-mail was sent if it was sent prior to the current day. You see the time if it was sent today, but the date if it was sent earlier. A minor issue, perhaps, but it does irk me. Also, it's a pain in the ass that there is nothing that I can do to undo the Facebook integration (which was the original nominal start to the thread).
Don't use outlook.com myself, but take a look at this to see how to disable it: http://en.kioskea.net/faq/26553-outlook ... tive-email.

Also, take a look at your Privacy Settings on Facebook, if you don't want your profile picture, etc showing up for others. You'll need to change who can look you up using your email address or phone number https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=privacy&view. At least that's what I think you'd need to do.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I use Hover,

It's not free, but I've been keeping my domain name for years (for when I hit the big time). Like Jg, subscriptions go to this mail address, work is kept separate. No one client for the two though. No face book to integrate and tbh I don't synch anything. I hate that sharing b*%&!x.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

sid wrote: On a related note, WTF is with the new Gmail compose they keep trying to get me to switch to? Why on earth would I prefer typing into a tiny box in the corner of the screen? Madness.
...And now they're forcing me to use it. What is their focking problem? :x

Thank fock for greasemonkey - though I'll have to install it on every computer I use, which almost defeats the entire point of webmail. :?
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

sid wrote:
sid wrote: On a related note, WTF is with the new Gmail compose they keep trying to get me to switch to? Why on earth would I prefer typing into a tiny box in the corner of the screen? Madness.
...And now they're forcing me to use it. What is their focking problem? :x

Thank fock for greasemonkey - though I'll have to install it on every computer I use, which almost defeats the entire point of webmail. :?
I haven't been forced to use it. Might it be something that can be changed in the settings?
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Hotmail still exists!? :shock:
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent