Ex-Prime Minister Baroness Thatcher dies

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: Ex-Prime Minister Baroness Thatcher dies

Post by fourthirtythree »

My understanding (from the data I had 20 years ago) was that gas as the UK went for worked out more expensive, we are talking '82-86 don't forget.
Nuclear is only feasible when you don't count the utterly MAHOOOSIVE government subsidy in the form of untold billions of taxpayers spending and the indemnity for the future (the documentary on Onkallao is really interesting on the notion of the time scale involved) - in many ways it's time is past as it has never really managed to be self funding and it is 70+ years on the go now. And as said, it doesn't really scale to Ireland (and that in itself is another issue - at some point large scale microgeneration is going to take off, like it or not as costs rise the cost of the grid becomes unsustainable and particularly at the kinds of scales of nuclear - and very bad news for the haters but Chinese PV solar looks like the winner right now)

If strip mining coal is third world stuff (I really want to link to, I'll just satisfy myself with the awesome picture from Germany http://www.flickr.com/photos/aqw/26611563/) what is coal tar extraction? Have you seen aerial photographs of Alberta recently?

I could have made arguments about the engineering but I wouldn't raise a finger to defend British engineering. A mate was fixing and building in my house a while back, he was looking at a pump and he goes "I've found your problem right here" pointing at the made in England embossed on it "designed by an accountant rather than an engineer". The point I was aiming at was that none of this was inevitable, Germany made very different choices for example. They decided they'd like to make stuff rather than push money around and run call centres.

The bigger point is that nothing historical, economic, or social, nothing created by humans, is in any way "inevitable" it is all cultural, political, chosen. The idea that "facts on the ground" are there and we have to work around them is not true. That is why it is important to query people's political legacy rather than allow a narrative unchecked dominance. So while the crowing at somebody's death was ugly, so was the appropriation of somebody's death to ram extremist ideological propaganda at people assuming a free pass would be given cynical.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Fireworks wrote:A large amount of the negative reaction has been in very bad taste and says more about the individuals handing it out than about their target. Whether you liked her or hated her she was elected by a majority of the British people. She has also been retired for quite a considerable time and has suffered from alzheimer's.

I feel sorry for her family and friends who want to mourn and bury the person they knew not the politician the public knew. Was anything achieved by all the bile that has been poured out. Could it not have waited and let history judge her.

I feel sorry for the people that feel they need to make themselves feel bigger and better by attacking a dead old lady. There must be something lacking in their own lives.
What a load of sentimental b*%&!x.

I feel sorry for you that you have been hoodwinked in your admiration for the milk snatcher.

as for this nugget....'i feel sorry for her family and friends' :lol:

Tell that to the thousands in the UK whose lives were affected/destroyed by her policies and actions, or the africans who suffered at the hands of her Nazi son and his failed coup d'Etat.

GTF.
3 Gold Stars
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDtClJYJBj8

G'WAN Glenda, 76 years old but still more balls than the rest of the Labour party put together.

Love the fat Toff at the end stating how they were only here to praise Thatcher and the speaker putting him in his place with a performance worthy of a top class ITV Seventies drama!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

http://news.sky.com/story/1077470/thatc ... er-actions

I watched this full interview yesterday and have to say Ms Blythe pretty much summed her up. And like Glenda Jackson said in the other clip she done absolutely nothing to advance Womens rights or status in government etc.
3 Gold Stars
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Fireworks wrote:A large amount of the negative reaction has been in very bad taste and says more about the individuals handing it out than about their target. Whether you liked her or hated her she was elected by a majority of the British people. She has also been retired for quite a considerable time and has suffered from alzheimer's.

I feel sorry for her family and friends who want to mourn and bury the person they knew not the politician the public knew. Was anything achieved by all the bile that has been poured out. Could it not have waited and let history judge her.

I feel sorry for the people that feel they need to make themselves feel bigger and better by attacking a dead old lady. There must be something lacking in their own lives.
Got a majority of seats but never a majority of votes. Last British party to get more than 50% of the votes were the Conservatives back in 1931.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish