Finance related Master Programmes

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

tones
Shane Jennings

Finance related Master Programmes

Post by tones »

Hi, looking into a Masters in Finance programme (Treasury/Banking/etc) and just wondering if people on here have done any and what their experiences are?
Currently looking at NCI due to the qualification programme as I qualified with a Pass degree back in the day. Have 10 years work experience in Financial Services/Operations and attained some qualifications through the Institute of Bankers since, so if someone was in a similar position and made their way into a Masters could you let me know?
Noticed DBS have a number of programmes – but not sure about whether they are worth the effort as have heard bad reports about lecturers in the past. Also, they do not seem to cover a lot of content in comparison to other Master level programmes.
I would like to see what people feel are the best value for money as well.

Thanks.
Last edited by tones on April 25th, 2013, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
tones
Shane Jennings

Re: Finance related Master Porgrammes

Post by tones »

tones wrote:Hi, looking into a Masters in Finance programme (Treasury/Banking/etc) and just wondering if people on here have done any and what their experiences are?
Currently looking at NCI due to the qualification programme as I qualified with a Pass degree back in the day. Have 10 years work experience in Financial Services/Operations and attained some qualifications through the Institute of Bankers since, so if someone was in a similar position and made their way into a Masters could you let me know?
Noticed DBS have a number of programmes – but not sure about whether they are worth the effort as have heard bad reports about lecturers in the past. Also, they do not seem to cover a lot of content in comparison to other Master level programmes.
I would like to see what people feel are the best value for money as well.

Thanks.
Any help/pointers would be appreciated. Thanks
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

You coud also try here for advice...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

cheers thanks shagger
AidanSloan
Knowledgeable

Post by AidanSloan »

You should consider DCU; Masters in Investment and Treasury. I believe it is highly regarded in the industry.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Am in the industry too, from what I often hear DBS isn't that well regarded.

Do you know anyone in that segment of the industry? I know it's easier said than done but if you could get a foot in the door through a contact and then commence study. The old saying, its not what you know it's who you know is alive and kicking in Finance especially if your targeting treasury/Capital Markets.
Smeehank
Graduate

Post by Smeehank »

would you consider accountancy exams? been working in banking for 7 years and from what I have seen (and from personal experience) doing the exams, be it CIMA, ACA or ACCA is something which stands out more than a masters.

I did ACA through a bank but would recommend ACCA as it fits better from a study point of view.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

The CFA exams (in particular Levels II and III) are challenging, but they're extremely well regarded. A recent Financial Times profile suggested that, for jobs in finance, they're held on an equal standing to an MBA from a top business school. One of their main benefits is that they're comparatively cheap, costing around $3,000 in total. They're also pass/fail so it doesn't really matter what you get in them, provided you get over the line. I'd certainly encourage you to consider these over attending some kip like DBS.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
BarryP
Knowledgeable

Post by BarryP »

Look into the Association of Corporate Treasurers diploma. AMCT diploma is now pretty much the basic requirement for corporate treasury roles in the UK and gaining traction globally as the standard for the industry. The one in DCU is good if you want to stay in Ireland, but does lead to exemptions in the AMCT if you decided to pursue that further. It is distance learning, and comprised of three stand-alone certificates, and you have 7 years to complete the whole thing. Opens a huge network for you as well. It's not cheap and distance learning so try to get your employer on board!
No feelings. You don't win 'em all, you don't love 'em all, you keep on fighting and if you need a friend, get a dog."
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Thanks for confirming opinon on DBS, thats scratched off the list then.
Shagger, working in Financial Services for years, have 3 qualifications from Institute of Bankers but in hindsight shouldn't have bothered with them and instead tried going down the Masters route a long time ago.
Someone mentioned AMCT, have looked into graduate cert in DCU to qualify direct to MCT - strange you should mention the route through the 3 certs. Yeah the DCU Masters is a serious one but wouldn't qualify yet.
Had considered CIMA (ACCA too accouting focused for what I want to do - investments/derivatives).
Ultimately, yeah would love to do the CFA's but realistically not ready yet.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

tones wrote:Ultimately, yeah would love to do the CFA's but realistically not ready yet.
Do you mind me asking, are you planning on doing the relevant course on a full-time basis? If so, having regard to your experience, I'd be amazed if you couldn't get through the CFAs with some hard graft and some good prep materials (people are often selling second hand books online which are still entirely up to date).

One significant downside is that you can only do Level I in December, so you'd have to do both Level II and Level III in consecutive Junes.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Studying part-time - yeah would be alot easier if full-time.
mtleinster
Enlightened

Post by mtleinster »

I did the MA FIN in NCI.

If i was given the choice, I would have done the Msc in trinity (http://www.tcd.ie/business/masters/finance/) but the trinity course started after i had started the NCI, and i believe it is also cheaper, it was in my day

The CFA is the be all and end all with regard working in Finance, and if you are doing a masters, see can you do the CFA in parallel.

CFA is both Dec and June for level 1, level 2 and 3 is June only
The pass rates are very high but the are reactive to the test. instead of a fixed score, it is 70% of the top percentile so the the top 1% get 92% score, the pass rate is 64%, it the top percentile get 81%, the pass rate is 56%
Les chances que Sexton vienne en France sont infimes
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

tones wrote:Thanks for confirming opinon on DBS, thats scratched off the list then.
Shagger, working in Financial Services for years, have 3 qualifications from Institute of Bankers but in hindsight shouldn't have bothered with them and instead tried going down the Masters route a long time ago.
Someone mentioned AMCT, have looked into graduate cert in DCU to qualify direct to MCT - strange you should mention the route through the 3 certs. Yeah the DCU Masters is a serious one but wouldn't qualify yet.
Had considered CIMA (ACCA too accouting focused for what I want to do - investments/derivatives).
Ultimately, yeah would love to do the CFA's but realistically not ready yet.
IoB are now associated with UCD, and UCD award their qualifications. IoB also run a couple of Masters programmes (literally two, I think).

In keeping with UCD policy ('Recognition of Prior Learning'), you can use prior learning and experience to count towards a subsequent course. It's approved on a case-by-case basis, but there's no harm in looking to see if you would be eligible.

It could be the case that you don't want to do one of the IoB masters courses, in which case the same policy applies in UCD itself. I'm sure that there are similar policies in other colleges, so it could be the case that the quals you already did could stand to you in reducing your workload when you do start on a masters programme.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

mtleinster wrote:I did the MA FIN in NCI.

If i was given the choice, I would have done the Msc in trinity (http://www.tcd.ie/business/masters/finance/) but the trinity course started after i had started the NCI, and i believe it is also cheaper, it was in my day

The CFA is the be all and end all with regard working in Finance, and if you are doing a masters, see can you do the CFA in parallel.

The pass rates are very high but the are reactive to the test. instead of a fixed score, it is 70% of the top percentile so the the top 1% get 92% score, the pass rate is 64%, it the top percentile get 81%, the pass rate is 56%
Had a look at TCD alrighht but costs seem to be €12,500 pa. But yeah that seems to be the most highly regarded masters around today - surpassing the Smuirfit Finance masters.
Doing the CFA's in parallel would depend on the workload which would be heavy in addition to the masters as most masters only cover 60-70% of CFA 1?

Bear, regarding the IoB, I am really turned off them at this stage. Yeah the postgrad school goes through UCD in terms of lecturers and qualificaiton recognition but it is still the IoB who are a money making racket of the highest order.
I looked at their Masters programme which are very pricey and don't seem to be massively detailed.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

tones wrote:
mtleinster wrote:I did the MA FIN in NCI.

Had a look at TCD alrighht but costs seem to be €12,500 pa. But yeah that seems to be the most highly regarded masters around today - surpassing the Smuirfit Finance masters.
Doing the CFA's in parallel would depend on the workload which would be heavy in addition to the masters as most masters only cover 60-70% of CFA 1?

Bear, thanks for the info but regarding the IoB, I am really turned off them at this stage. Yeah the postgrad school goes through UCD in terms of lecturers and qualificaiton recognition but it is still the IoB who are a money making racket of the highest order.
I looked at their Masters programme which are very pricey and don't seem to be massively detailed.
Their courses are very expensive and really not that greta imo. Have looked at the CISI in London through distance and value for money there is no comparison.
If I went for UCD it would be through Smurift - who naturally have a huge name.
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

tones wrote:Bear, thanks for the info but regarding the IoB, I am really turned off them at this stage. Yeah the postgrad school goes through UCD in terms of lecturers and qualificaiton recognition but it is still the IoB who are a money making racket of the highest order.
Their courses are very expensive and really not that greta imo. Have looked at the CISI in London through distance and value for money there is no comparison.
If I went for UCD it would be through Smurift - who naturally have a huge name.
[/quote]
You should see if the qualifications that you've already done can be used towards a Smurfit masters. I didn't mention Smurfit initially, as they're stupidly expensive.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Yeah have tried that already...means very little to be honest.
Smurfit is expensive...but for a reason I believe.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Finance related Master Programmes

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I've actually heard that the Smurfit one is very poorly run. This may have changed but a friend of mine did the course a couple of years ago and his class had to kick up a fuss to improve things. Can't remember most of the reasons but I know that two main ones were that the lecturers really just read very basic info off slides and there was very little interaction with students either inside or outside of class.

My friend said there was a guy in his class who had left a good job in a bank to do it and asked the powers that be why he had bothered to do so when he wasn't really being taught anything, just had lecturers reading out notes that he could have got from any decent finance books.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Finance related Master Programmes

Post by Peg Leg »

There was a guest from the UCD Smurfit business school talking about the faculty this morning on Breakfast Business - Newstalk 6:30 - 6:40am slot.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan