Brussels info

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Donald
Mullet

Brussels info

Post by Donald »

I am travelling to Brussels for two weeks in May but just wondering does anyone have much info on the city I.e. the best places to eat, hang out at night in bars, cafes and clubs, things to do during the day and also where the main city centre areas are as it seems pity spread out from the various online sources I have visited. I am not lazy or anything but just looking for some first hand info.

Thanks
Come live with me in SEALAND!!
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Brussels info

Post by Hornet »

Donald wrote:I am travelling to Brussels for two weeks in May but just wondering does anyone have much info on the city I.e. the best places to eat, hang out at night in bars, cafes and clubs, things to do during the day and also where the main city centre areas are as it seems pity spread out from the various online sources I have visited. I am not lazy or anything but just looking for some first hand info.

Thanks
List of top Bars in the City
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2008/f ... ssels.bars
http://www.worldsbestbars.com/belgium/brussels
http://www.beerlycoherent.com/2010/12/t ... ssels.html

It's not a big City, so it's fairly easy to get around. Head for the Grand-Place for the Flower Markets, although the cafe's on the square can be expensive. Try the Moules and Frites with Mayo. No visit to Brussels would be complete without paying homage to the Mannekin Pis. English is widely spoken as well as Flemish and French. It's easy to get around to other parts of Belgium. Brugge, Ghent, Antwerp and Charleroi are around an hour by (very regular) Trains. A trip to Brugge is well worth it. Amsterdam can easily be visited in a day. Nice City.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Beer.

They have a decent claim on the best beer in the world. Whatever, it is spectacular though.

And get the Mrs. some chocolate (and read a tintin comic while listening to Brel!) and visit some of the art - Flemish Northern renaissance is fantastic. There's a really gothic museum full of horrific pictures that I can barely remember. It's cheestastic but I love the Atomium, I just have a huge fondness for retro-futurism and always have.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Donald wrote:I am travelling to Brussels for two weeks in May but just wondering does anyone have much info on the city I.e. the best places to eat, hang out at night in bars, cafes and clubs, things to do during the day and also where the main city centre areas are as it seems pity spread out from the various online sources I have visited. I am not lazy or anything but just looking for some first hand info.

Thanks
I'd plan a lot of day trips to other places. Two weeks is a long time to spend in Brussels. It's happy hour in the Celtica pub from 1pm to midnight with pints of Maes for only €2. Might make the days go a bit quicker.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

Lived in Antwerp for a summer many many moons ago, not sure if this will carry over to Brussels but the nightlife can be quite....well quiet. We ended up going to Irish bars alot for some atmosphere but it tended to get busier later in the night, and clubs seemed to be more popular than bars. Pubs have or had at that time anyway no closing time, but that may also have been an Antwerp thing, was up to each bar when they closed!!! had to tip bouncers on your way out of a nightclubs as well. Should definitely make the effort to head up to Brugge. And they fupping love their mayonnaise on chips
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

If you're there around the weekend of the 18th there's a great 10s tournament in Dendremonde, worth a day trip. It's a brilliant tournament, especially if the weather is good, and there's at least one Irish team playing in it.

http://www.flandersopenrugby.be/EN/programma.php