RIP Donal Walsh

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

RIP Donal Walsh

Post by Xanthippe »

I'm sure by now most of us have read the story of Donal Walsh, the brave young man from Tralee who, despite suffering from terminal cancer, wrote a letter to the editor of the Irish Independent in which he begged for the suicide epidemic in Ireland to be dealt with. He pleaded with young people who felt they had no choice but to take their own lives to reconsider their options and to think of the anguish those left behind would have to face.
Donal Walsh wrote:“As a 16-year-old who has no say in his death sentence, who has no choice in the pain he is about to cause and who would take any chance at even a few more months on this planet, appreciate what you have, know that there are always other options and help is always there.”
I was unbelievably moved and affected by Donal's story and with the bravery with which he faced up to his impending death. Only eleven short days ago Donal tweeted
Donal Walsh ‏@Donal_Walsh_ wrote: 2 May
They told me have an early Christmas, but I'm after making it from October to the summer #FuckYouDoctors #DefyingOdds #FightLikeFuck
but unfortunately tonight, following a four year battle, he lost his fight for life.

I have asked the ERC, Leinster Rugby and the OLSC if it would be possible to have a minute's silence for Donal on Friday night or failing that, at the Rabo final the following Saturday. If you feel so inclined please add your request to mine and let's see if we can get the same respect shown for this brave, inspirational, rugby loving young man as we did for Nevin Spence and his family earlier this season.

In case you did happen to miss it - here is Donal's story, as printed in the Irish Independent on April 14th
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
sid
Mullet

Re: RIP Donal Walsh

Post by sid »

RIP.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.