Sky "Magic Eye"

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

mtleinster
Enlightened

Sky "Magic Eye"

Post by mtleinster »

I have two sky boxes, one Sky+, one standard Sky box

Both Sky boxes are in an upstairs room beside my 2nd TV as it was the easiest way for the sky man to install without puting cables infront of my living room fireplace, so there is currently a magic eye going from the sky+ box to the downstairs (Main) TV. There is a coaxial cable joining the main TV, downstairs magic eye and the NTL TV box on the wall (whatever thats called)

I am looking to use a magic eye to connect the upstairs TV standard box to a 3rd TV.

How do i actually do this? Do i have to run a coaxial cable between the two TV's (this will involve drilling a hole in the wall) or is the magic eye enough?
Les chances que Sexton vienne en France sont infimes
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Sky "Magic Eye"

Post by meinster »

The magic eye works over the coax, so your existing eye at the main TV is powered by the sky box it's connected to upstairs over a coax cable.

So, yes, you'll need to run a new coax cable from upstairs sky box(es) to the 3rd TV. Your other option is to use a Digisender type of device (a wireless transmitter/receiver pair of units that relay audio/video and remote control signals), but they really are quire poor quality.

You have other options (like running a new coax from the satellite straight to the 3rd TV for Freesat/FTA channels, using a spare Sky box (<€40-50 on adverts.ie). That'll give you direct control at the 3rd TV, along with better picture, and doesn't affect the existing two boxes you have (or how they're viewed). It'll be completely independent (but you only get FTA channels, unless you want an additional Sky Multiroom sub.). You could also run coax from the dish to the upstairs room, put the third box up there and loop in the existing 1 or 2 boxes in to the third. That way, your third TV will be able to independently watch the FTA channels, but also watch the paid-for channels of the existing two boxes).. getting messy there though. If you're doing that watch out for your RF2 out power and how you loop the RF!

Simplest option (for reasonable quality) is to run the new coax like you say
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

meinster wrote:The magic eye works over the coax, so your existing eye at the main TV is powered by the sky box it's connected to upstairs over a coax cable.

So, yes, you'll need to run a new coax cable from upstairs sky box(es) to the 3rd TV. Your other option is to use a Digisender type of device (a wireless transmitter/receiver pair of units that relay audio/video and remote control signals), but they really are quire poor quality.

You have other options (like running a new coax from the satellite straight to the 3rd TV for Freesat/FTA channels, using a spare Sky box (<€40-50 on adverts.ie). That'll give you direct control at the 3rd TV, along with better picture, and doesn't affect the existing two boxes you have (or how they're viewed). It'll be completely independent (but you only get FTA channels, unless you want an additional Sky Multiroom sub.). You could also run coax from the dish to the upstairs room, put the third box up there and loop in the existing 1 or 2 boxes in to the third. That way, your third TV will be able to independently watch the FTA channels, but also watch the paid-for channels of the existing two boxes).. getting messy there though. If you're doing that watch out for your RF2 out power and how you loop the RF!

Simplest option (for reasonable quality) is to run the new coax like you say
What he said, but I'd add, that if you had any cat5e run in the house you could route it that way and use a balun.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
mtleinster
Enlightened

Post by mtleinster »

Thank you all for your help so far.

my next question is where can i but some of these (prefer a B&M store than online and have to wait a few weeks)

the magic eye is exiting the TV at a parallel angle with the tv (not perpedicular as you would expect) and there is not enough room for the magic eye. i could just use a short Male / Female cable but this would be cleaner
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

mtleinster wrote:Thank you all for your help so far.

my next question is where can i but some of these (prefer a B&M store than online and have to wait a few weeks)

the magic eye is exiting the TV at a parallel angle with the tv (not perpedicular as you would expect) and there is not enough room for the magic eye. i could just use a short Male / Female cable but this would be cleaner
http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v2 ... pe=product
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Alternatively, Michael Garry Electrical Wholesale have 4 in stock. They are in Finglas (just off the phone from them).
They are also the flex type with an elbow plug.
Daniel Sullivan
mtleinster
Enlightened

Post by mtleinster »

Ill try peats first as im in town

cheers all
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Maplin used to have 'em as well (for 1.99), about 18 months ago .. dunno if that's still the case, but it's not far from Peats if you have no luck there.
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"