Rugby books/biogs

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Rogocoko
Knowledgeable

Rugby books/biogs

Post by Rogocoko »

Can anyone recommend any rugby books/biogs available on kindle? I'd be most interested in irish players/coaches....
Munster. I hate the word, as I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Re: Rugby books/biogs

Post by RoboProp »

Irish books I would go for Leo's, The Bull's. I love Moss Keane's too. Willie John's was a bit of a tough read.

Lol's my favourite of non Irish players, although his mother is from Cork. I also enjoyed any of Bill McLaren's books. Impossible not to read in THAT voice
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

I enjoyed Trevor Brennan's.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

EOS's and ROG's were alright. Anthony Foley's was poor. Jackman's poor. Moss Keane very good.

Outside of Ireland, Martin Johnson's awful. Jake White good. Brian Moore excellent.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

ceemec wrote:EOS's and ROG's were alright. Anthony Foley's was poor. Jackman's poor. Moss Keane very good.

Outside of Ireland, Martin Johnson's awful. Jake White good. Brian Moore excellent.
Agree with the sentiment regarding Johnno's book it really is a pile of chyte.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Ducking fouble post
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

RoboProp wrote:
ceemec wrote:EOS's and ROG's were alright. Anthony Foley's was poor. Jackman's poor. Moss Keane very good.

Agree with the sentiment regarding Johnno's book it really is a pile of chyte.
Couldn't agree with that at all. Really enjoyed Johnno's book and found it very interesting, thought it was well worth the read. Richie McCaw's recent book was a good read too, one of the better efforts of recent times. Confessions of a Rugby Mercenary by John Daniell [here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Confessions-Rug ... 0091930685 ] was an interesting book. It deals with a journeyman Kiwi player's time in French rugby.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Similar to the rest

Lite Books (in a good way)

Leo's
Jackers
Trevor Brennan
Mick Galwey (I read this when I had alot more time for the man then I do now)

Deeper Reading (that I couldnt put down)

Dallaglio's
Brian Moore

Take or leave

Eddie's
Martin Johnson
Alan Quinlan
ROG
Johnny Wilkinson

Also read the John Daniell book like hugo, short and sweet, nice to get a different opinion from someone who isnt an Irish or world great.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Dallaglio's "Blood Sweat & Beers" Rugby tales is a great laugh, collection of tour stories from around the rugby world, he's put together a couple of collections. i've only read the one but it was great.

Simon Easterby's is a decent read for a different perspective on someone coming into the Irish Rugby set up from the Exiles system.

Geordan Murphy's recent one was ok but he's got a serious chip on his shoulder despite his 74 odd caps, clearly also a man in love with Leicester and everything about them. make of that what you will.

Can also recommed the John Daniell book, great look at being a normal professional rugby player just trying to make a living as opposed to big name/test players.

DOC's book was ok, loves his training.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

not about irish players but the following would be my choices as stated before " rugby mercenary" about some kiwi playing in france is excellent mark ring's book is a good read and he doesn't shy away from telling all including being offered to throw a test match lawrence dallaglio is a good read and it shows you why he had such a top career but the best is sean long "longy" about the st Helens rugby league player it's proably the funniest sports book you will ever read and the hardest to put down it's a 10 out of 10!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

JB1973 wrote:the best is sean long "longy" about the st Helens rugby league player it's proably the funniest sports book you will ever read and the hardest to put down it's a 10 out of 10!
Dunno sounds like it might be a little stop start without any real contest to keep posession of your interest
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

TerenureJim wrote:
JB1973 wrote:the best is sean long "longy" about the st Helens rugby league player it's proably the funniest sports book you will ever read and the hardest to put down it's a 10 out of 10!
Dunno sounds like it might be a little stop start without any real contest to keep posession of your interest
Must be referring to his hair style? Ludicrous.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Donald
Mullet

Post by Donald »

I think from here to there is v good and BODs 2005 lions diary is good. I also liked the outsider .
Come live with me in SEALAND!!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The Matt Hampson one is very good.

I don't like Paul Kimmage's style of writing but still thoroughly enjoyed it. Well, enjoyed might be a bit strong given the topic but it was a great read.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:The Matt Hampson one is very good.

I don't like Paul Kimmage's style of writing but still thoroughly enjoyed it. Well, enjoyed might be a bit strong given the topic but it was a great read.

hampson book is excellent and very moving.

Bobby Windsor the iron duke is v good, some strong stuff in there to