Breaking Bad Finale - Here Be Spoilers

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: Breaking Bad Finale - Here Be Spoilers

Post by fourthirtythree »

Donny B. wrote:
ceemec wrote: The scenes with Gus and the cartel both past and present were superb too.
One little thing that's been bugging me. In the Cartel flashback scenes where they killed his partner, Don Eladio says "The only reason you are alive and he is not...is because I know who you are." There were other hints at Gus's mysterious Chilean background but it never really amounted to anything did it, or am I missing something?
I can't think of the answer to that but perhaps it's like Walt's breakup with Gretchen: we don't need every detail, and perhaps the mystery helps. If you try to wrap up every angle in a screenplay you're just joining the dots. You end up with a JJ Abrams film.

And that's just wasting everyone's time.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
ceemec wrote: The scenes with Gus and the cartel both past and present were superb too.
One little thing that's been bugging me. In the Cartel flashback scenes where they killed his partner, Don Eladio says "The only reason you are alive and he is not...is because I know who you are." There were other hints at Gus's mysterious Chilean background but it never really amounted to anything did it, or am I missing something?
I can't think of the answer to that but perhaps it's like Walt's breakup with Gretchen: we don't need every detail, and perhaps the mystery helps. If you try to wrap up every angle in a screenplay you're just joining the dots. You end up with a JJ Abrams film.

And that's just wasting everyone's time.
Hmmm, maybe. Or perhaps it was a plot strand that they eventually decided not to pursue as there was more than enough other stuff to go round.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Scott wrote:So favourite scene/episode...........

fave episode Ozymandias

fave scene Hank taking down the Salamanca boys is pretty bad ass!

fave line "f--k you and your eyebrows"
Rogocoko
Knowledgeable

Post by Rogocoko »

The fly episode :?
Munster. I hate the word, as I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee.
ratpack
Mullet

Post by ratpack »

Rogocoko wrote:
The fly episode :?
Three of my mates who used to watch it together quit watching after the fly episode and haven't got back on yet despite me raving to them about it!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Donny B. wrote:
ceemec wrote:
I'm not sure about the exact manner of the final scenes and think it was all a little bit contrived but I'm still happy enough how it went. I felt that, with a show of this quality, they wouldn't leave so many fortuitous circumstances to come together for Walt's plan to be executed. He was allowed visit the gang's lair, allowed park where he wasn't supposed to, his keys left in easy reach and Jack decided to delay Walt's execution and get Jesse because Walt called him a liar. All a little convenient but I really am picking holes in what was just a great ending to a superb show.
I downloaded it and watched it at 5 A.M. on Monday to avoid any spoilers. In the end most people were fairly sound though.

I watched it and loved it but I was a little worried that it would be slated for being a little too neat, the evil Meth Nazis and Lydia getting their just deserts, Walt dying but reclaiming a little of his humanity in saving Jessie and Skyler and the kids having some sort of potentially positive future. In the end though the reaction was pretty much universally positive from what I've read and I've read a lot about it.

So all in all a fitting end to a classic show. Like David Simon before him Vince Gilligan will struggle to come up with something of the same quality but he's already trying. And hopefully will all the real creative talent deserting movies for TV we won't be long before another stone classic comes down the line. Remember Breaking Bad took its time to grow, which is a lesson to all TV execs.

Breaking Bad marked itself as a classic right at the start of the 1st episode. That was as deep a hook as I've ever seen.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Just finished it last night:
Goofy excuse scenes were excruciating to watch.
Best scenes for me were:
Hank standing outside the RV with Jesse and Walt inside- then the phonecall
"I'm the one who knocks"
"I won"
Mike levelling Walt at the bar
Salamanca scenes (all of them- particularly the No.2 incident and the F-U-C-K Y-O-U scenes)
Walt meeting Jesse's girlfriend's dad in the bar
Hanks toilet reading
Hook with the kid on the dirt bike/ the train robbery/ kid being shot (probably the most emotive scene in the entire series for me and the moment I changed allegiance)
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Finally finished it last night. Took me a over a year to get through it all but it was a super show. I'll miss looking forward to the next episode.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Avenger wrote:Finally finished it last night. Took me a over a year to get through it all but it was a super show. I'll miss looking forward to the next episode.
Well it's perfect timing that Better Call Saul has started then!
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Donny B. wrote:
Avenger wrote:Finally finished it last night. Took me a over a year to get through it all but it was a super show. I'll miss looking forward to the next episode.
Well it's perfect timing that Better Call Saul has started then!
Yeah. I had Netflix to watch BB originally and then someone got me the blu ray box set so I cancelled it. Might start it up again now to watch Better Call Saul as he was a great character in BB.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN