The Senate Poll

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Are you Voting Yes or No on Friday

Poll ended at October 5th, 2013, 9:10 am

1. Yes - Get rid of the useles shower of so and so's
48%
2. No - Keep The Senate - They do all the unseen work.
52%

Total votes: 25

Oldschool
Cian Healy

The Senate Poll

Post by Oldschool »

I'm voting Yes, as in good riddance.

Thanks Ceemec - Well spotted
Last edited by Oldschool on October 2nd, 2013, 11:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Re: The Senate Poll

Post by ceemec »

In the interest of clarity, OS, you might change your poll options. Voting no here means abolish the senate whilst, in the actual referendum, voting no means keep it.

There were some vox pop bits on the radio yesterday where several individuals said they'd be voting no until the interviewer stated that the question isn't "Should we keep the Seanad" it's "Should we abolish it".
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

If only I had a vote
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Can I vote to abolish the Dáil?

No good reason to get rid of the seanad. Save a couple of quid I suppose. Nothing else to be gained.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

fourthirtythree wrote:Can I vote to abolish the Dáil?

No good reason to get rid of the seanad. Save a couple of quid I suppose. Nothing else to be gained.
This, I also think the notion is a bit scary considering how "hands on" the government like to be about the minor details of my life. If this passes and the additional investigative powers they want ever come to pass.... we'd be en route to a dictatorial government.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Peg Leg wrote:

This, I also think the notion is a bit scary considering how "hands on" the government like to be about the minor details of my life. If this passes and the additional investigative powers they want ever come to pass.... we'd be en route to a dictatorial government.
I've no problem with investigative powers in a parliament - that's quite normal. And the debacle of our tribunal system should show us that this is needed. Though the wording of the amendment on that was unsupportable. I do have a problem with a reduction in oversight. We have too little oversight of our legislative process as it is and getting rid of what we do have should not be a priority.

Now having the Home Secretary/ Justice minister also being minister for defence and therefore the army? If they tried that in China, for example, it would be considered shockingly autocratic.

Not a peep here.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:

I've no problem with investigative powers in a parliament - that's quite normal. And the debacle of our tribunal system should show us that this is needed. Though the wording of the amendment on that was unsupportable. I do have a problem with a reduction in oversight. We have too little oversight of our legislative process as it is and getting rid of what we do have should not be a priority.

Now having the Home Secretary/ Justice minister also being minister for defence and therefore the army? If they tried that in China, for example, it would be considered shockingly autocratic.

Not a peep here.
Would you take an order from Alan Shatter :shock:
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation