Smart Phones

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Smart Phones

Post by Armchair »

Would go for the I phone 5 easy to use good camera if you ever want to use and easy to check things on the net and email quick and easy and app friendly for or if you want to go down that route as mentioned above leave the apple haters aside it is a very good and quiet user friendly phone
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

I'm upgrading next month and torn between the Nexus 5 and the Xperia z1. O2 are doing a deal for £50 a month on 4g you get a nexus 5, 1gb of data, free calls and texts plus a nexus 7.
STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

Jackie Brown wrote:I'm upgrading next month and torn between the Nexus 5 and the Xperia z1. O2 are doing a deal for £50 a month on 4g you get a nexus 5, 1gb of data, free calls and texts plus a nexus 7.
How long is the contract? Can you buy the phone directly from Google Play store?
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Jackie Brown wrote:I'm upgrading next month and torn between the Nexus 5 and the Xperia z1. O2 are doing a deal for £50 a month on 4g you get a nexus 5, 1gb of data, free calls and texts plus a nexus 7.
Has the nexus 5 appeared on the Google Play store in the UK do you know?
I have Bumbleflex
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Has the nexus 5 appeared on the Google Play store in the UK do you know?
Its up there now at £299 for the 16gb model and £399 for the 32gb. Seems to be a 2-3 week wait on orders though.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

I have the Xperia Z1. Not had it long but very impressed so far.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

I had and Xperia P for a while. It had problems with reception and wifi and the battery was cr@p. The repair guy said it was the SIM and I needed to change it so I did but no improvement. I'm not sure of the differences in the models but the P was an awarding phone that was great at everything bar the most basic function. I won't be going back to Sony. I've had a HTC One for about 2 months and so far all good. Especially happy with the battery life.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Folks out if curiosity when recommending a phone can you please detail the price you paid for phone and the amount you pay each month. As I said other half is looking for new phone and am curious of price of phones over length of deals.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Nexus 5 is supposed to be good and an incredible phoen for the cost. I'd actually like to get that or the new Moto X (the first Motorola phone designed under the new Google ownership) - it's supposed to be pretty decent and I like the idea of not getting the fuckwittery Samsung and other manufacturers insist on dumping in the phones.

Can't get either in Ireland and you need to be carefull with bands and frequencies when getting unlocked foreign phones
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

The Doc wrote:Can't get either in Ireland and you need to be carefull with bands and frequencies when getting unlocked foreign phones
You sure about this???? I think you might mean the states, but it is no longer an issue - my phones have worked all over the world for years now. Don't let this stop you buying from well known online retailers' german or spanish websites. Why tie yourself into a contract nowadays? e20 a month on pay as you go should get you all you need if you use wifi when you have it and are not a chatterbox. Latest purchase Acer Liquid E2 for eur 165 (not a top of the range phone at all - would have gotten a Nexus5 if looking for that (16gb eur349, 32gb eur399))
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

ribs wrote:
The Doc wrote:Can't get either in Ireland and you need to be carefull with bands and frequencies when getting unlocked foreign phones
You sure about this???? I think you might mean the states, but it is no longer an issue - my phones have worked all over the world for years now. Don't let this stop you buying from well known online retailers' german or spanish websites. Why tie yourself into a contract nowadays? e20 a month on pay as you go should get you all you need if you use wifi when you have it and are not a chatterbox. Latest purchase Acer Liquid E2 for eur 165 (not a top of the range phone at all - would have gotten a Nexus5 if looking for that (16gb eur349, 32gb eur399))
I was thinking states mainly - was over there and tempted to pick one up but very diffciult to get fully unlocked in a retail outlet and I believe you need to know Verizon vs AT&T vs all the others because they have a mix of GSM and other networks - also some are compatible with 4G and some not.

I would guess you're right on getting EU phones - probably all compatible (though for example I'm on 3 and I know they don't support the older frequencies)
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

For anyone still on Blackberrys the Z10 is a pretty good alternative to a iphone, less apps but good on the basic email and social stuff, can buy them under £300 or on Vodafone up here 2Gb data unlimited texts 600 mins to any mobile network and unlimited landline calls for £32 a month including VAT (24 month contract) 4G enabled as well.
Alternative Ulster
Graduate

Post by Alternative Ulster »

People still use b b b..... blackberrys? Those yokes with the tiny unusable keys? Seriously? In 2013?
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Alternative Ulster wrote:People still use b b b..... blackberrys? Those yokes with the tiny unusable keys? Seriously? In 2013?
z10 is touchscreen. Beer Baron (late of this parish) has one and really likes it. Like rooster says, less apps but all the key ones that you need and a good mail client.
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Darce wrote:
Alternative Ulster wrote:People still use b b b..... blackberrys? Those yokes with the tiny unusable keys? Seriously? In 2013?
z10 is touchscreen. Beer Baron (late of this parish) has one and really likes it. Like rooster says, less apps but all the key ones that you need and a good mail client.
And it has better reception in marginal areas, both an iphone 5 and a Z10 in our house and Z10 wins hands down on reception and yes it is full touchscreen, the Q10 is the keyboard version and I defy anyone to type faster on a iphone than a blackberry key version as the last few models are very easy to use.
Its all down to personal preference at the end of the day and as far as phones go some of those old Nokias were the most reliable things around, I have a 21 year old one still working in a handsfree kit in a tractor and have to scape the dust of it at times to see the screen !
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

rooster wrote:
Darce wrote:
And it has better reception in marginal areas, both an iphone 5 and a Z10 in our house and Z10 wins hands down on reception and yes it is full touchscreen, the Q10 is the keyboard version and I defy anyone to type faster on a iphone than a blackberry key version as the last few models are very easy to use.
Its all down to personal preference at the end of the day and as far as phones go some of those old Nokias were the most reliable things around, I have a 21 year old one still working in a handsfree kit in a tractor and have to scape the dust of it at times to see the screen !
What a brilliant image you paint! Man but those old Nokias were brilliant phones, I'm really missing my old brick one that I left in a Dublin taxi ten or so years back.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Donny are u confused yet?? All over my head, would be interested what you decided on in the end and how u find it
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Armchair wrote:Donny are u confused yet?? All over my head, would be interested what you decided on in the end and how u find it
I got lost about ten posts in...... :oops:

Thread seems to have taken on a life of it's own now.

My old Nokia seems to have had something of a revival, so may put off any decision until after Christmas now anyway
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

domhnallj wrote:
rooster wrote: And it has better reception in marginal areas, both an iphone 5 and a Z10 in our house and Z10 wins hands down on reception and yes it is full touchscreen, the Q10 is the keyboard version and I defy anyone to type faster on a iphone than a blackberry key version as the last few models are very easy to use.
What a brilliant image you paint! Man but those old Nokias were brilliant phones, I'm really missing my old brick one that I left in a Dublin taxi ten or so years back.
Somewhere I have a 1989 Mobira (That is the old name for Nokia) Cityman. 2100 punts + Vat and another 1200 + Vat for the car kit.

Phones were all analogue back then. (088) Digital (087, 086 etc) only started in the 90s.

You could easily murder someone with it with a slap on the head, and it would still work afterwards.

I saw a mate of mine stick a Motorola version on the roof of his car and skid off down the road to see the phone bouncing down the road after him. Had a leather case on it and worked fine afterwards.

Before that I had what they called a "Trans portable" phone. It weighed about half a stone and you could dismantle it removing the battery pack and handset and convert it into what they used to call a "car phone"

Yes kids that's where the "CarPhone Whorehouse" got it's name.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

johng wrote:
domhnallj wrote:
rooster wrote: And it has better reception in marginal areas, both an iphone 5 and a Z10 in our house and Z10 wins hands down on reception and yes it is full touchscreen, the Q10 is the keyboard version and I defy anyone to type faster on a iphone than a blackberry key version as the last few models are very easy to use.
Somewhere I have a 1989 Mobira (That is the old name for Nokia) Cityman. 2100 punts + Vat and another 1200 + Vat for the car kit.

Phones were all analogue back then. (088) Digital (087, 086 etc) only started in the 90s.

You could easily murder someone with it with a slap on the head, and it would still work afterwards.

I saw a mate of mine stick a Motorola version on the roof of his car and skid off down the road to see the phone bouncing down the road after him. Had a leather case on it and worked fine afterwards.

Before that I had what they called a "Trans portable" phone. It weighed about half a stone and you could dismantle it removing the battery pack and handset and convert it into what they used to call a "car phone"

Yes kids that's where the "CarPhone Whorehouse" got it's name.
Are you Del-boy Trotter by any chance? :D