Smart Phones

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Smart Phones

Post by Peg Leg »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Peg Leg wrote: They obviously don't understand the cost implication of doing so. Elec car batteries have a usage life and are the single most expensive component in an electric car, once they have reached end of life, you can expect to pay up to €15,000 to replace..... so I hope you won't mind if I have a laugh at people who power their houses from their cars!
I know absolutely nothing about electric cars. How long do the batteries last? How long would using it to charge up your house every couple of days take out of your battery life? (my vague memory of this was from somebody talking about someone else doing it) It could take €1000 a year off your utilities bills though... Well actually it wouldn't because to do this presupposes you have a PV cell system and battery (well, you assume somebody wouldn't put in the battery without the PVpanel)
Many many variables there, it would only work if you've an "off grid" PV system that relied on batteries to keep an inverter going.
Nissan Leaf batteries are meant to be good for 10 yrs at "normal" (12-16km per annum), however the performance characteristics of the batteries over the life of battery (ie. the rate at which they degrade) is pretty poor. You would typically expect a loss of 15-20% range in the first couple of yrs and then a slow taper in it's usable life. The draw taken by a PV back-up battery, would depend on the number of batteries and the time taken to charge, but you can be rest assured you would not be able to save €1,000 per annum on your elec bill, without it costing even more (a fukn huge amount more) in battery replacement cost.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote: I suppose I just prefer a bird in the hand eh? I don't like streaming stuff because of the risk of it stopping mid stream. I would ALWAYS download a podcast (for example) before leaving the house rather than hope my data connection would be up to it. Always download a film rather than stream it.

I like the insurance of knowing that if I get caught short of charge I am only 1 minute away from being back on the air. (Great for away trips)

Plus. As your phone ages, the battery (no matter how good it is) will hold less and less charge. Being able to change it quickly and easily is great.

Each to their own.
Bump!
Good detail and I hate when an informative post makes it in as a last entry on a page!
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

You left out the bit about you being a boll1x.... :lol:
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:You left out the bit about you being a boll1x.... :lol:
Didn't want people to think you were an asshole John! :wink: :lol:
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Peg Leg wrote:
johng wrote:You left out the bit about you being a boll1x.... :lol:
Didn't want people to think you were an asshole John! :wink: :lol:
Wow! Can you perform that function for me in real life too? :shock:

Would be forever grateful.......
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

johng wrote:Plus. As your phone ages, the battery (no matter how good it is) will hold less and less charge.
A metaphor for your own life? :lol:
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

IanD wrote:I got the Motorola Moto G just before Christmas and have to say I think it is great. My other half has one and my sister got one too. It is no match for my other sisters HTC One but for less than €200 for the 16 gb version it is a different beast.

I sit in the North Stand so if anyone wants to meet up to have a look at the phone let me know.
+1 for the Moto G. I have the 8GB model and think it's a great phone, especially for only €150.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

nc6000 wrote:
IanD wrote:I got the Motorola Moto G just before Christmas and have to say I think it is great. My other half has one and my sister got one too. It is no match for my other sisters HTC One but for less than €200 for the 16 gb version it is a different beast.

I sit in the North Stand so if anyone wants to meet up to have a look at the phone let me know.
+1 for the Moto G. I have the 8GB model and think it's a great phone, especially for only €150.
The other halfs sister got one last week and my sister has one for 2 months or so. No complaints from either.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

johng wrote:Have spare battery in arse.
johng wrote: ... the risk of stopping mid stream.
I'm telling you John, between the mobility scooter and these other more serious issues I worry about you - I really do
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Xanthippe wrote:
johng wrote: ... the risk of stopping mid stream.
I'm telling you John, between the mobility scooter and these other more serious issues I worry about you - I really do
There's an examination for that if it's a worry.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Due an upgrade so I was wondering what people think of the phones they are using now? I have an iPhone 4 but not sure I can be bothered getting a 5. Anyone got a HTC M8 or Samsung 4/5 they'd be willing to share their experiences?
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

I've the HTC m8. Awesome phone. Had the predecessor also and was happy with it but this is a big step on especially in speed and battery life.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

domhnallj wrote:Due an upgrade so I was wondering what people think of the phones they are using now? I have an iPhone 4 but not sure I can be bothered getting a 5. Anyone got a HTC M8 or Samsung 4/5 they'd be willing to share their experiences?
I have the Samsung S5(jumped up from S2)......very happy with it. No quirks or foibles.....good battery life but I took John G's advice a few months ago and bought extra batteries so never an issue now regardless. Having said that I don't use it much outside of calls, e mail, a few photos and a couple of apps(eg Map My Run/facebook/Twitter)
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Thanks lads
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Nexus 5 - the google phone. I like it a lot.

Just FYI - I perfer to buy my phones and not pay on contract - in which case the Nexus 5 is really good value. I don't think anyone here offers it on contract. Heard v good reviews on the M8 - generally I would stay away from the newer Samsung ones - they put too much vendor software on it (which is why I like the Nexus 5 - clean version of android)
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Alternative Ulster
Graduate

Post by Alternative Ulster »

nelly the elephant wrote:
domhnallj wrote:Due an upgrade so I was wondering what people think of the phones they are using now? I have an iPhone 4 but not sure I can be bothered getting a 5. Anyone got a HTC M8 or Samsung 4/5 they'd be willing to share their experiences?
I have the Samsung S5(jumped up from S2)......very happy with it. No quirks or foibles.....good battery life but I took John G's advice a few months ago and bought extra batteries so never an issue now regardless. Having said that I don't use it much outside of calls, e mail, a few photos and a couple of apps(eg Map My Run/facebook/Twitter)
Can you change the battery on the new S5? I heard you couldn't.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

The Doc wrote:Nexus 5 - the google phone. I like it a lot.

Just FYI - I perfer to buy my phones and not pay on contract - in which case the Nexus 5 is really good value. I don't think anyone here offers it on contract. Heard v good reviews on the M8 - generally I would stay away from the newer Samsung ones - they put too much vendor software on it (which is why I like the Nexus 5 - clean version of android)
The HTC is similar, would love to have a phone with none of that shite.
Worse again, you cant delete facebook from the HTC One and the bastarding thing updates every 20 minutes*

*slight exaduration
Daniel Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Peg Leg wrote:
The Doc wrote:Nexus 5 - the google phone. I like it a lot.

The HTC is similar, would love to have a phone with none of that shite.
Worse again, you cant delete facebook from the HTC One and the bastarding thing updates every 20 minutes*

*slight exaduration
Pretty sure you can disable it. My older HTC allowed me to essentially turn the app off but not entirely delete it.

And you should: the Arsebook app is the epitome of just how evil those things can be. Biggest data and power hog on my phone even when I barely used it.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Just as a follow-up. EE offered me £70 for my old handset but since I will be in Dublin this weekend I was thinking of giving it to a charity. Are there are reputable charities left that accept old handsets?

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Jack and Jill I think.