Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Smart Phones

Post by johng »

No. I'm a hit man for Mothercare.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:No. I'm a hit man for Mothercare.
Is that the inverse roll of the standard hit man?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

So my mate has offered me a smart phone he has for 20 euro. It's a Nokia Lumia 520.

Meteor do a 30 per month sim-only deal for unlimited texts and calls and 1GB of internet. So I think that's what I'll go for.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

I got the Motorola Moto G just before Christmas and have to say I think it is great. My other half has one and my sister got one too. It is no match for my other sisters HTC One but for less than €200 for the 16 gb version it is a different beast.

I sit in the North Stand so if anyone wants to meet up to have a look at the phone let me know.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

I'm due an upgrade from my phone supplier and I'm going onto one of their higher tariffs for business reasons. This entitles me to choose literally any phone I want. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S2...I find it grand...but the amount of time I'm actually on the phone making/receiving calls is going to dramatically increase. Any suggestions/advice out there about battery life/usage , the best options available to me? Thanks in advance.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

nelly the elephant wrote:I'm due an upgrade from my phone supplier and I'm going onto one of their higher tariffs for business reasons. This entitles me to choose literally any phone I want. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S2...I find it grand...but the amount of time I'm actually on the phone making/receiving calls is going to dramatically increase. Any suggestions/advice out there about battery life/usage , the best options available to me? Thanks in advance.
Have a HTC one at the mo and I am on the phone up to 4 hrs a day. I love it, although I believe there is a replacement due.

Battery is never an issue unless I overcharge it.
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Peg Leg wrote:
nelly the elephant wrote:I'm due an upgrade from my phone supplier and I'm going onto one of their higher tariffs for business reasons. This entitles me to choose literally any phone I want. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S2...I find it grand...but the amount of time I'm actually on the phone making/receiving calls is going to dramatically increase. Any suggestions/advice out there about battery life/usage , the best options available to me? Thanks in advance.
Have a HTC one at the mo and I am on the phone up to 4 hrs a day. I love it, although I believe there is a replacement due.

Was going to get a HTC 1. But you can't use a spare battery. Got an s4. Great yoke bar the lack of an fm radio. Streaming radio over a data connection is muck.

Have spare battery in arse. Pocket. Never get caught out. (Bar The once I changed my strides and forgot it)
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

johng wrote:
Have spare battery in arse.
You're like a duracell bunny - don't they have batteries in their arses too?

....... waits for the rampant rabbit joke.........
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Got an upgrade to the Nokia Lumia 720. Battery can go three days without a charge.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Peg Leg wrote:Have a HTC one at the mo and I am on the phone up to 4 hrs a day. I love it, although I believe there is a replacement due.

The HTC One M8. I got it. Super phone.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Largest battery of the current crop of smartphones is the Sony xperia Z2.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Not getting why anyone would buy a phone that you can't swap the battery in, if they use it a lot.

Some guy said to me that he did not want to carry a spare around. The same guy has a yoke that fits over his phone and carries extra charge. Fecken thing doubles the size and weight of his phone and cost about 100 bucks. (My genuine Samsung spare battery was 7 quid and you wouldn't notice it in your pocket) :?

From the reviews that I read there was not much to choose between Galaxy S4 and HTC 1. Battery was the deal breaker for me.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Apparently Johng Google is listening to you: the absolute hottest concept phone happening now has that as it's fabulous futuretastic selling point. The Ara modular phone
http://www.wired.com/2014/04/google-ara-new-deal/#x "with Ara, a dead battery in the middle of a day trip doesn’t set off a frantic search for someone with a charger. Instead, you pop in a spare. " welcome to the 1990s Google. Welcome indeed.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Thank you all for the input.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

johng wrote:Not getting why anyone would buy a phone that you can't swap the battery in, if they use it a lot.

Some guy said to me that he did not want to carry a spare around. The same guy has a yoke that fits over his phone and carries extra charge. Fecken thing doubles the size and weight of his phone and cost about 100 bucks. (My genuine Samsung spare battery was 7 quid and you wouldn't notice it in your pocket) :?

From the reviews that I read there was not much to choose between Galaxy S4 and HTC 1. Battery was the deal breaker for me.
How long do you expect a charge to last?

I have the HTC One (m8) and on the days I'm in the office, I leave home at 6:15, get the train (where I use the phone to browse), get to work around 7:50. I use the phone at lunch time in gym (JEFit app) and again on the train home. My battery is usually between 60 and 70% at around 8:30pm when I might start using it again after I've put my son to bed.

Now that may not be a huge amount of use, but its not small. I also take a lot of pictures and use the location/gps function a good bit so IMO the battery does get hit hard. With previous phones, I'd be at around 20% of battery with that use. I had the previous HTC One phone also and the battery so far seems to be far superior.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Avenger wrote:
johng wrote:Not getting why anyone would buy a phone that you can't swap the battery in, if they use it a lot.

I have the HTC One (m8) and on the days I'm in the office, I leave home at 6:15, get the train (where I use the phone to browse), get to work around 7:50. I use the phone at lunch time in gym (JEFit app) and again on the train home. My battery is usually between 60 and 70% at around 8:30pm when I might start using it again after I've put my son to bed.

Now that may not be a huge amount of use, but its not small. I also take a lot of pictures and use the location/gps function a good bit so IMO the battery does get hit hard. With previous phones, I'd be at around 20% of battery with that use. I had the previous HTC One phone also and the battery so far seems to be far superior.
John uses his phone to power his mobility scooter.
Daniel Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

You may laugh but I have heard of people powering their houses from their electric cars...
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

fourthirtythree wrote:You may laugh but I have heard of people powering their houses from their electric cars...
They obviously don't understand the cost implication of doing so. Elec car batteries have a usage life and are the single most expensive component in an electric car, once they have reached end of life, you can expect to pay up to €15,000 to replace..... so I hope you won't mind if I have a laugh at people who power their houses from their cars!
Daniel Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Peg Leg wrote: They obviously don't understand the cost implication of doing so. Elec car batteries have a usage life and are the single most expensive component in an electric car, once they have reached end of life, you can expect to pay up to €15,000 to replace..... so I hope you won't mind if I have a laugh at people who power their houses from their cars!
I know absolutely nothing about electric cars. How long do the batteries last? How long would using it to charge up your house every couple of days take out of your battery life? (my vague memory of this was from somebody talking about someone else doing it) It could take €1000 a year off your utilities bills though... Well actually it wouldn't because to do this presupposes you have a PV cell system and battery (well, you assume somebody wouldn't put in the battery without the PVpanel)
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Peg Leg wrote:
Avenger wrote:

John uses his phone to power his mobility scooter.
I'll mobility scooter you, yah little boll1x. :evil: :)

I suppose I just prefer a bird in the hand eh? I don't like streaming stuff because of the risk of it stopping mid stream. I would ALWAYS download a podcast (for example) before leaving the house rather than hope my data connection would be up to it. Always download a film rather than stream it.

I like the insurance of knowing that if I get caught short of charge I am only 1 minute away from being back on the air. (Great for away trips)

Plus. As your phone ages, the battery (no matter how good it is) will hold less and less charge. Being able to change it quickly and easily is great.

Each to their own.