Nelson Mandela

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

tigerburnie
Enlightened

Nelson Mandela

Post by tigerburnie »

I think this mans contribution to rugby and the world is worth remembering in his passing, the image of him in a Springbok shirt will remain with those who watched that world cup final, the world is a slightly poorer place today. R.I.P.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Nelson Mandela

Post by johng »

Nelson Mandela 1918 - 2013

Perhaps almost everyone on here is to young to remember his impact.

I can only share my personal view of him.

He was locked up when I was in the womb. Released days before my 27th birthday.

Apartheid had been an open sore on humanity which had impacted on Rugby as on many other areas of life in the world outside South Africa.

The Lions tour of 1980 was a big divisive one. Thankfully they were stopped after that.

Boycotts and sanctions and events like the dunnes stores strike tightened the noose around the neck of the apartheid government until they had no option but to release him and with him release their grip on power.

The song Free Nelson Mandela (Great tune btw) Written by Jerry Dammers kicked off the anual Birthday celebrations through the 80s

The original lyric "21 years in captivity" had to be updated every year until eventually it was "27 years in captivity"

It is really hard to believe now, but we never thought we would see him free, much less live this long after the hardships of those 27 years.

I still get a bit of a lump in my throat when I see a load of big Afrikaaners singing nkosi sikelel iafrika before a Rugby match. Never would have believed it possible.

One man above all others made it possible. His capacity to forgive and work with those who had perpetrated the crimes on himself and his people was breathtaking.

"Hero" "Legend" "Icon" those words are used a lot. This was the man in the whole of human history that I would apply them to above all others.

Forget Brian O'Driscoll, forget Ritchie McCaw and Dan Carter. Great guys for sure but this was the man above all others.

What Brian O'Driscoll is to Irish Rugby. Nelson Mandela was to human history.

I would like to remember our players Richardt Strauss and Zane Kirchner and offer my condolences on behalf of Leinster fans, Rugby fans and Irish People. But mostly just to be happy that we lived at the same time as this man.

I have only cried twice in the last 22 years. Once was this morning
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

I recall going on a bus as a youngster in the late 1950's past Welford Road to go into town with my father. The bus was stopped by huge crowds blocking the road, a demonstration against Apartheid, the South African rugby team were on the pitch playing against a Midlands team, I remember seeing the players. I vaguely recall my Dad telling me why the crowds were there and that a lot were not watching the game. Thankfully we can hope such a thing like Apartheid has gone for ever.
Alternative Ulster
Graduate

Post by Alternative Ulster »

Hopefully younger people will get a sense of why he was so great and so important during what I'm sure will (rightly) wall to wall coverage over the next few weeks.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Lovely tribute Johng, I didn't start this thread last night as I didn't think I could do him justice so I'm glad you have.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

I had 3 heros growing up, one was my grandfather who won a sh@yte load of medals fighting in Burma and Ceylon in world war two, one was the Swansea and wales winger arthur emyr who i used to copy from the age of 10 upwards. And the other was Mandela I grew up in the era of mining strikes , hunger strikes and Thatcher's torys putting their foot on our necks it's hard to explain to anyone under certain age just how tough times were back there.

Mandela showed us how to fight but also how to retain dignity and even more importantly he came out of jail and showed forgiveness and humility rather than the need to twist the knife and feel bitter,

the word legend is bandied around far too easily these days but this man was a legend and he will always be one
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Wonderfully written John - the man was a legend - to have experienced the incarceration yet to be able to be so humble and so forgiving - the world was made a better place because of him, and that says it all to me.

But get this - a report i've just read - The BBC received 850 complaints about the extent of airtime it devoted to the former South African president on Thursday 5 December when parts of the UK were being battered by bad weather.

Viewers also complained that the final 10 minutes of a repeat of Mrs Brown’s Boys was interrupted as the BBC broadcast breaking news of Mandela’s death.

Seriously......makes you wonder for the future of society!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Do yourselves a favour and read this account of his visit to Dublin in 2003, fecking hilarious at times, especially the Pierce Brosnan story.....

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-styl ... -1.1618593