Weird news thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Weird news thread

Post by blockhead »

Temperatures in Minnesota USA expected to reach as low as -51 deg C in the next day or two!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Weird news thread

Post by Peg Leg »

Great idea for a thread. -51C.... Wow, would like to try out a supersoaker with boiling water in that temp.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Peg Leg wrote:Great idea for a thread. -51C.... Wow, would like to try out a supersoaker with boiling water in that temp.
Just been watching videos of friends throwing containers of boiling water out a few minutes ago! Like crazy Russian Youtubers.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

blockhead wrote:Temperatures in Minnesota USA expected to reach as low as -51 deg C in the next day or two!
That's with wind-chill I think. It's not quite Siberia yet.

That and they have this silly habit of using measurement systems that are stupid instead of System International over there.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

At -50C spit freezes before it hits the ground.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

ronk wrote:At -50C spit freezes before it hits the ground.
So can you piss outdoors? It's not boiling but in the mid/late 30s (celsisus). No ones asking but that's what we all wanna know....I think!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25631238

French Goodyear workers hold managers captive in Amiens

Workers at a Goodyear tyre factory in Northern France have been holding two managers captive in a dispute over plans to close the plant.

Great quote ''According to the CGT union, the two managers have been given water and still have their mobile phones.''
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

paddyor wrote:
ronk wrote:At -50C spit freezes before it hits the ground.
So can you piss outdoors? It's not boiling but in the mid/late 30s (celsisus). No ones asking but that's what we all wanna know....I think!
Further investigation unearthed this:
I lived in Fairbanks, Alaska for many years, so I have personally tested this idea (in 1993). You cannot better scientific results than this.

At somewhere near -50°F (-45°C) I tried this, being very careful not to freeze certain body parts (hehheh) which can freeze in mere seconds if not protected properly. Remember that the temperature of the urine is at regular body temperature of +98°F (+37°C). Because the urine was so very much warmer than the air, it essentially vaporized into a yellow cloud and disappeared into the air before even hitting the ground. So...it didn't freeze or hit the ground!

Saliva, however, WILL freeze solid before hitting the ground at those temperatures. Soap bubbles will also freeze, and you can break them into pieces. At about -40°F (-40°C) it's not quite cold enough and they get leathery and you can tear soap bubbles instead. A few degrees warmer than that and they just pop as they normally do.
1st hit on Google: Can it be cold enough for urine to freeze before it hits the ground?
Daniel Sullivan
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

http://www.thejournal.ie/today-fm-matt- ... 9-Jan2014/

This was certainly a wtf moment for me!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

IanD wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25631238

Workers at a Goodyear tyre factory in Northern France have been holding two managers captive in a dispute over plans to close the plant.

Great quote ''According to the CGT union, the two managers have been given water and still have their mobile phones.''
http://www.independent.ie/world-news/fr ... 96174.html

The Goodyear 2 have been freed.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

blockhead wrote:
IanD wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25631238

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/fr ... 96174.html

The Goodyear 2 have been freed.
by the Rubberbandits
I have Bumbleflex
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Hospital wrote:He made a full recovery and one month later there was no recurrence, with the patient reporting satisfactory erection and intercourse
That's just boasting - when I was 22 it took more than a month to get a ride.... at least 6 months trying to persuade her :D
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
mfjoc
Graduate

Post by mfjoc »

The Doc wrote:
That's just boasting - when I was 22 it took more than a month to get a ride.... at least 6 months trying to persuade her :D
6 months was pretty good 50 years ago - usually you had to marry her
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

Italian MP delivers anti-immigration rant in blackface...

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/it ... 24956.html

An Italian MP put on black make-up to deliver a staggering anti-immigration rant in the country’s parliament, smearing his face from a makeup pad and asking whether “we need to be a bit darker” to get benefits from the state.

Gianluca Buonanno, a politician with the right wing Northern League party, took the opportunity on Wednesday night to criticise “latecomers” and “non-EU” citizens who receive pensions despite, he claimed, having “never worked a day in their lives”.

And he decried the government’s policies of “benevolence” under Italy’s first black member of cabinet, the Minister for Integration Cecile Kyenge, calling it “inverted racism”.

Brandishing a pad of black greasepaint, Mr Buonanno said: “At the end of the day, maybe in this country in order to achieve anything we need to be a bit darker.

“I say we can all put make-up on and make ourselves a bit darker, and then we can all go around painted black and say we want the same help that non-EU citizens get.

“I think that Italians, on top of going to police stations and declaring themselves political refugees, they have to darken themselves, and go around saying that I need help too, and we will see whether Italy is as good to Italians as it is to foreigners.

“This is inverted racism. No more benevolence, let’s give concrete help to those who need it first and foremost.”

This is not the first time the Northern League has put on a very public and agitated display of xenophobic rhetoric. Last summer its leader, the high-profile senator Roberto Calderoli, sparked outrage by comparing Ms Kyenge to an orang-utan.

Despite apologising to Ms Kyenge, In November, he was charged by the country’s prosecutor’s office with defamation aggravated by racial discrimination.

This week the Northern League came in for renewed criticism when its official newspaper, La Padania, started printing the time and location of Ms Kyenge’s public appointments, the Telegraph reported.

Nichi Vendola, head of the left-wing SEL party, tweeted: “Can someone tell the racists that we're in the Third Millennium and are a civilised country, despite them.

“The racists think they're in Alabama or Mississippi of a half-century ago or in South Africa during apartheid.”

The paper’s editor defended the feature, saying the information of Ms Kyenge's whereabouts was publicly available anyway, claiming instead that it was the newspaper itself on the receiving end of intimidation from the likes of the centre-left.
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/eu ... -1.1659081
Russian president Vladimir Putin says gay people should feel welcome at the upcoming Winter Olympic Games in Sochi, but they must “leave the children in peace”.
Mr Putin told volunteers today that gay people visiting Sochi “can feel calm and at ease,” and vowed that there would be no discrimination at the games.
But he emphasised that, according to a law banning homosexual “propaganda” among minors, gay people cannot express their views on gay rights issues to anyone under age.
Mr Putin and other politicians have defended the June propaganda law as a protection of child rights, but critics believe that the law discriminates against sexual minorities.
In the wake of international outcry against the bill, Russian authorities have put limits on the right to protest during the Sochi games, which run from February 7th-23rd
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

http://www.wicklownews.net/2014/01/metr ... eal-woman/

Metro escalator strangles Montreal woman

A woman was strangled after her scarf and then her hair became caught in the mechanism of a Montreal tube station escalator during the morning rush hour.

Bob Lamle of Montreal’s ambulance service said people who saw the incident made frantic efforts to free her but were unable to halt the tragedy.

He said he had never seen anything like it in his 30-year career.

Emergency crews found the 48-year-old woman lying on her back trapped at the bottom of the escalator. A doctor declared her dead at the scene.

The accident happened at around 9.15am local time. Montreal police spokesman Jean-Pierre Brabant said the woman tried to pull on the scarf to release it and her hair also got stuck.

This is beyond my comprehension - I usually carry a Swiss Army knife or Leatherman in my rucksack or on my belt. How come nobody had a blade or a scissors or even a nail file. Also did the escalator not have an emergency shut off and if so why did no one use it? Really sad that this lady died but it just seems like something from a movie.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Daniel Sullivan
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Hi friend eh...died at sea......
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles