for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: The Homophobia referendum

Post by Peg Leg »

the spoofer wrote:
honeyec wrote:
Oldschool wrote:As a heterosexual Alpha (my own self styling TBH) male I see no reason to change the status quo.
You see no reason to change the status quo because as a heterosexual it doesn't have any effect on you.

However, the good news is that changing the status quo will have absolutely no effect on you whatsoever either. Granting equal marriage rights to gay couples will have precisely zero effect on your life as it stands.

Given those circumstances, it genuinely puzzles me how anyone who isn't a religious zealot can have any objection to it.

Also, accusing those of us who think the LGBT community should have equal rights of "ill thought out political correctness" also tends to rankle, just fyi.
Sorry but the minute you add in the letter T into these discussions you lose me. As far as I'm concerned they are just people with mental issues. The gays and the lezzers are grand but some 6' 4" lad in high heels and a dress is just not right.
It's always been the B that I struggled with , particularly in a discussion about marriage.... Ya know.... Monogamy n'all.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Peg Leg wrote:It's always been the B that I struggled with , particularly in a discussion about marriage.... Ya know.... Monogamy n'all.
That seems a bit weird if you think about it. Getting married is making a commitment to a monogamous relationship. Is there any reason this would be harder for someone who is bi than for a straight person?

That aside, plenty of straight people are unfaithful and plenty of straight couples are, apparently, in open relationships. Monogamy seems to be a la carte for many married people.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

Broken Wing wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:It's always been the B that I struggled with , particularly in a discussion about marriage.... Ya know.... Monogamy n'all.
That seems a bit weird if you think about it. Getting married is making a commitment to a monogamous relationship. Is there any reason this would be harder for someone who is bi than for a straight person?

That aside, plenty of straight people are unfaithful and plenty of straight couples are, apparently, in open relationships. Monogamy seems to be a la carte for many married people.
Straight people who are married promise fidelity to one person, not to one gender. Being bi has nothing to do with being faithful, it's just that you're doubling the pool of people from which you can choose the person to whom you are going to be faithful.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

the spoofer wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Trans means something different from a drag performer....
No sh!t Shelock!
So why talk about high heels? No reason to associate the two at all.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

fourthirtythree wrote:
the spoofer wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Trans means something different from a drag performer....
No sh!t Shelock!
So why talk about high heels? No reason to associate the two at all.
Did you have an anaesthetic when you had the operation to remove your sense of humour?
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Good use of the internet to look up trans, but I doubt you're fooling anyone.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

It's a constitutional question because of Article 41 and the way 'family' and 'marriage' have always been interpreted in Irish law. There is in my opinion no rational legal or moral argument to be made against marriage equality for LGBT members of society. In a generation we'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.

As an aside, I note Neil Francis has made a really useful contribution to the discourse today and confirms the view most people would anyway have of him as a complete arse:

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/neil-fran ... 5-Feb2014/
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Franno the f**kwit chimes in...

sh!t, I see Hippo got there before me.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Donny B. wrote:Franno the f**kwit chimes in.Textbook closet case self-loather.extbook closet case self-loather..

He who dubbed us Ladyboys too. He sounds like a textbook self loather.
Mickado
Knowledgeable

Post by Mickado »

RoboProp wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Franno the f**kwit chimes in.Textbook closet case self-loather.extbook closet case self-loather..

He who dubbed us Ladyboys too. He sounds like a textbook self loather.
The Ladyboy comment takes on a more insidious tone in light of his recent comments.
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Broken Wing wrote:

I thought (and excuse my ignorance), that you were born with a preference and it's not something that can be adjusted. Is bi just being overly sexual regardless of the companion? Or do bi's just play the field for a while and settle on the one they are most comfortable with?

What I am asking is: If you are bi-sexual, do you require the company of both or is that a decision?
Further to that,
What do we want the term marriage to encapsulate in irish law? Is there a need for marriage to be recognised seperately from being single?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

Peg Leg wrote:What I am asking is: If you are bi-sexual, do you require the company of both or is that a decision?
A straight male doesn't fancy just one woman, any more than a gay male fancies only one male. Surveying a field of options which contains many people doesn't mean that you end up marrying/co-habiting with multiple people. Bisexual people simply have a field of options which is twice the size.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

This really is one of the most simple decisions ever in my eyes. As a 'hetrosexual Alpha' I see no reason why homosexual Alphas should be discriminated against anymore. Allowing the bill to pass would have NO negative effects on ANYBODY and make THOUSANDS of people happy.
Mickado
Knowledgeable

Post by Mickado »

ChrisUppy wrote:This really is one of the most simple decisions ever in my eyes. As a 'hetrosexual Alpha' I see no reason why homosexual Alphas should be discriminated against anymore. Allowing the bill to pass would have NO negative effects on ANYBODY and make THOUSANDS of people happy.
It would seriously pish off the bible bashers who want to influence every facet of society.

All the more reason to vote yes!
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

Mickado wrote:
ChrisUppy wrote:This really is one of the most simple decisions ever in my eyes. As a 'hetrosexual Alpha' I see no reason why homosexual Alphas should be discriminated against anymore. Allowing the bill to pass would have NO negative effects on ANYBODY and make THOUSANDS of people happy.
It would seriously pish off the bible bashers who want to influence every facet of society.
Also, if you're unhappy in your own marriage, but leery of the cost of a divorce; just vote yes - allowing gay marriage will automatically destroy the institution of marriage altogether, thus handily solving your problem in one fell swoop.
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

honeyec wrote:
Mickado wrote:
Also, if you're unhappy in your own marriage, but leery of the cost of a divorce; just vote yes - allowing gay marriage will automatically destroy the institution of marriage altogether, thus handily solving your problem in one fell swoop.
:lol:
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Mickado wrote:

All the more reason to vote yes!
That certainly isn't negative alright