Neil Francis

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

All Blacks nil
Mullet

Neil Francis

Post by All Blacks nil »

FORMER IRELAND LOCK Neil Francis has courted controversy with his comments about homophobia in sport.
Francis, who writes a regular column in the Sunday Independent, was a guest on today’s Off The Ball show on Newstalk. The conversion about sports stars coming out began when Francis was asked for his take on American Football player Michael Sam, who the columnists described as “flamboyant” in his playing style. He insisted he would not be watching any of the Winter Olympics because of what he deems to be a hysteria about gay rights in Russia

Stressing that he was relating to his own experiences in sport, Francis commented, “Gay men don’t play sport because it is too manly.” He added that he, as a former sportsman, does not like ballet. He also remarked, “Do a survey of the hairdressing industry and find out how many heterosexuals are in that.”
Francis stated his belief that the numbers of sportspeople that are gay does not stand at the 10% mark but is closer to 1%. He declared that the rugby dressing room is a homophobic place and claimed a rugby player who came out as being gay would set themselves up for abuse which ‘could take the edge from your game’.

The score.ie
Last edited by All Blacks nil on February 16th, 2014, 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: Neil Francis

Post by Donny B. »

An embarrassment as a player, a pundit and a human being.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Quick turnaround and apology any time now
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Get your shots in now people, rumour has it he's in negotiations to join the Iona institute and will hence forth be protected on high from any slagging by John Waters scumbag lawyer!
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Donny B. wrote:An embarrassment as a player, a pundit and a human being.

Once a fool, always a fool.........what a low life.
Tiberius Rex
Beginner

Post by Tiberius Rex »

Moron.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Lazy, attention-seeking, red-faced tool and general uncouth oaf.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Just listened to whole thing..... Embarrassing

What is his full time job does anyone know?
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Franno wrote:He insisted he would not be watching any of the Winter Olympics because of what he deems to be a hysteria about gay rights in Russia
I guess we have something in common, although we are coming from different angles.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Shouldn't really come as a surprise as it was him that coined the phrase ladyboys. The continued use by some of the term is clearly homophobic.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

He's an oaf and beneath notice.
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

This is the opening paragraph of an article he had yesterday. He seems to have issues.

"Happiness is seeing the muscular lifeguard all the girls were admiring leave the beach hand in hand with another muscular lifeguard. I don't think I have been quite as happy leaving the Aviva after a rugby match as I was last weekend. Everything that the Welsh tried to embroider into a tapestry of the pre-match preamble backfired wonderfully."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/g ... 13570.html
ratpack
Mullet

Post by ratpack »

That Franno has come out with this guff shouldn't surprise anyone. Many of us have given up taking him seriously a long time ago. I cannot see how this is not much more than an attempt to raise his own profile.

People being shocked at this should go back over some of his articles over the year. The ladyboys one is the one which is always remembered, but the one which i loss complete respect for him was where he basically stated when he was playing he believed some players on the team were using hard drugs like heroine! The guy is a loon!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Francis has a long history of saying things that are unsupported and unsupportable.
I have Bumbleflex
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Dave Cahill wrote:Francis has a long history of saying things that are unsupported and unsupportable.
As part of his ramblings yesterday he outed Green Bay QB Aaron Rodgers.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
leinster4life13
Mullet

Post by leinster4life13 »

He is wrong, but technically he wasn't far off with his 1%, considering the number of gay pro rugby players currently playing is exactly zero since Gareth Thomas retired. Still, he has undue concern about things of that nature, ladyboys, muscular lifeguards hand in hand.....Typical poorly thought out Neil Francis point, if not for the Iona furore he could have continued in ignorant bliss, his apology tour should be an eye opener, although he'll probably just view it as, "all publicity is good publicity".
The Harry Vermass fanclub

Heroes: David Knox, Carlos Spencer, Marc Lieveremont, Ian Madigan.

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

leinster4life13 wrote:He is wrong, but technically he wasn't far off with his 1%, considering the number of openly gay pro rugby players currently playing is exactly zero since Gareth Thomas retired. .
An important distinction.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Donny B. wrote:
leinster4life13 wrote:He is wrong, but technically he wasn't far off with his 1%, considering the number of openly gay pro rugby players currently playing is exactly zero since Gareth Thomas retired. .
An important distinction.
+1
Four Stars
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

He should also realise that sport doesn't just apply to those who play the game at a professional level. The most obvious example is the Emerald Warriors.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

leinster4life13 wrote:He is wrong, but technically he wasn't far off with his 1%, considering the number of gay pro rugby players currently playing is exactly zero since Gareth Thomas retired. Still, he has undue concern about things of that nature, ladyboys, muscular lifeguards hand in hand.....Typical poorly thought out Neil Francis point, if not for the Iona furore he could have continued in ignorant bliss, his apology tour should be an eye opener, although he'll probably just view it as, "all publicity is good publicity".
WTF??
Surely players private life's are exactly that and private. I understand player stats regarding age, height,weight, caps, etc but I have never seen a sexual orientation stat!
Who somebody is attracted to is no business of teammates, coaches and especially fans. It has exactly zero effect on anything other than that persons private life.

Black / white, gay /straight, English / Irish, seriously what the f%~k does it matter?

Franno is just a tool and should be locked up with Stephen jones writing silly shite to each other
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian