Neil Francis

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

leinster4life13
Mullet

Re: Neil Francis

Post by leinster4life13 »

olaf the fat wrote:
leinster4life13 wrote:He is wrong, but technically he wasn't far off with his 1%, considering the number of gay pro rugby players currently playing is exactly zero since Gareth Thomas retired. Still, he has undue concern about things of that nature, ladyboys, muscular lifeguards hand in hand.....Typical poorly thought out Neil Francis point, if not for the Iona furore he could have continued in ignorant bliss, his apology tour should be an eye opener, although he'll probably just view it as, "all publicity is good publicity".
WTF??
Surely players private life's are exactly that and private. I understand player stats regarding age, height,weight, caps, etc but I have never seen a sexual orientation stat!
Who somebody is attracted to is no business of teammates, coaches and especially fans. It has exactly zero effect on anything other than that persons private life.

Black / white, gay /straight, English / Irish, seriously what the f%~k does it matter?

Franno is just a tool and should be locked up with Stephen jones writing silly shite to each other
I agree, but to say its Franno making this an issue is disingenuous, certain groups are using Pro Sports as a vehicle for social issues, on both the religious and sexual side of things. I utterly disagree with it, but its coming from the states, so I guess its only going to become more prevelant and is here to stay like all of their other brash cultural exports. I mean, its not Franno coming out with 10% stats etc, its interest groups, whose interest is to have gay athletes. In the same way in the states you have athletes affiliated with churches etc, drumming up business for the religious nutters. Its a non issue and shouldn't be reported on.
Donny B. wrote:
leinster4life13 wrote:He is wrong, but technically he wasn't far off with his 1%, considering the number of openly gay pro rugby players currently playing is exactly zero since Gareth Thomas retired. .
An important distinction.
True
The Harry Vermass fanclub

Heroes: David Knox, Carlos Spencer, Marc Lieveremont, Ian Madigan.

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

leinster4life13 wrote:Its a non issue and shouldn't be reported on.
If it wasn't an issue then more athletes would be out so another athlete coming out would be no big deal.

As soon as the general consensus is that being gay is no barrier to being a professional athlete and an openly gay athlete in any sport faces no abuse or discrimination in the dressing room than it will be a non issue and won't be reported on.

As long as people like Francis and the commentators in the US who talk about an NFL dressing room being no place for a gay man spout their prejudice it remains an issue.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

hopefully his broadcasting career is over now
not so sure about his print one
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
leinster4life13
Mullet

Post by leinster4life13 »

Broken Wing wrote:
leinster4life13 wrote:Its a non issue and shouldn't be reported on.
If it wasn't an issue then more athletes would be out so another athlete coming out would be no big deal.

As soon as the general consensus is that being gay is no barrier to being a professional athlete and an openly gay athlete in any sport faces no abuse or discrimination in the dressing room than it will be a non issue and won't be reported on.

As long as people like Francis and the commentators in the US who talk about an NFL dressing room being no place for a gay man spout their prejudice it remains an issue.
That is the general consensus among athletes. Its an entirely media created issue, it is a non issue, its click fodder. You might conceivably have a problem in amateur sports that recruit from a community that is prejudiced, but there is nothing you can do about that. But pro sports is different, its a job, as long as you can do it on the pitch, its not an issue.
The Harry Vermass fanclub

Heroes: David Knox, Carlos Spencer, Marc Lieveremont, Ian Madigan.

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Franno just confirms he is a total arse !
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

rooster wrote:Franno just confirms he is a total arse !
This.

There's another slightly shorter discussion over in General Chat.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
MadiganSquareGarden
Learner

Post by MadiganSquareGarden »

Apparently he played second row in school with my old boss. Two ars*holes of the highest order. Imagine a centre partnership of Gavin Henson and Gavin Henson.
Stuka
Knowledgeable

Post by Stuka »

Oh seriously who cares about this bullshit. Im sick of it getting rammed down my throat everyday. If people are gay who cares. I dont. I do care about having this f%~king agenda rammed down my throat everyday. Im sick of seeing that self promoting waster Pantibliss on the front page of the papers everyday when there are real stories like how medical cards are being taken from families with kids that have DS, or how these same families have to fight to a basic right like an education for their kids. Jesus has the world gone mad? How is it that a man that dresses up as a woman for a living gets more media attention then the huge homeless problems we have in this country.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

leinster4life13 wrote:That is the general consensus among athletes. Its an entirely media created issue, it is a non issue, its click fodder. You might conceivably have a problem in amateur sports that recruit from a community that is prejudiced, but there is nothing you can do about that. But pro sports is different, its a job, as long as you can do it on the pitch, its not an issue.
I think you're missing the point slightly. If Neil Francis can mouth off about how gay people don't like sport and wouldn't be welcome in a dressing room then what does that say to any young gay people listening and considering playing rugby?
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Stuka wrote:Oh seriously who cares about this bullshit. Im sick of it getting rammed down my throat everyday. If people are gay who cares. I dont. I do care about having this f%~king agenda rammed down my throat everyday. Im sick of seeing that self promoting waster Pantibliss on the front page of the papers everyday when there are real stories like how medical cards are being taken from families with kids that have DS, or how these same families have to fight to a basic right like an education for their kids. Jesus has the world gone mad? How is it that a man that dresses up as a woman for a living gets more media attention then the huge homeless problems we have in this country.
Oh those uppity gays ramming their equality agenda down your throat every day. The quickest way to silence them would be to grant them their equality.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Broken Wing wrote:
Stuka wrote:Oh seriously who cares about this bullshit. Im sick of it getting rammed down my throat everyday. If people are gay who cares. I dont. I do care about having this f%~king agenda rammed down my throat everyday. Im sick of seeing that self promoting waster Pantibliss on the front page of the papers everyday when there are real stories like how medical cards are being taken from families with kids that have DS, or how these same families have to fight to a basic right like an education for their kids. Jesus has the world gone mad? How is it that a man that dresses up as a woman for a living gets more media attention then the huge homeless problems we have in this country.
Oh those uppity gays ramming their equality agenda down your throat every day. The quickest way to silence them would be to grant them their equality.
the people (and those that care about them) who have experienced discrimination, bullying, mental health problems, addiction, violence, harassment. thats who
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Neil Francis is an absolute idiot. He's the long serving Conor George, just doesn't have a twitter account to get himself fired. Imagine the sh*t like this he'd be coming out with if he did?

I treat Francis the same way I treated George. Just ignore and hope they crawl into a hole and die. I just posted to encourage y'all to do the same and not give him the attention and resulting column inches.

Also wanted to comment to commend Nigel Owens. He has done a lot for the gay profile in sports and particularly rugby and he was right in condemning Francis, as much as I hate people like this getting attention, it is good to have the issue of homosexuality in sport being discussed and all though Francis peddaled all the sophistication and socially progressive initiative of the neanderthal that he is, I would hope a strong reaction would reassure gay people within the sporting community about the accepting nature of the sporting public as a whole, as quite frankly having to hide ones sexuality or even be afraid of it being known for fear of ones career or social acceptance is simply unacceptable and it is a very damning inditement on society as a whole, without getting too far away from rugby and going on a rant, but I would hope something positive can come from this mans ignorance and stupidity.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
Stuka
Knowledgeable

Post by Stuka »

Broken Wing wrote:
"Oh those uppity gays " What a stupid thing to say. Dont ever but words like that in my mouth again.

I believe they have as much right to be as miserable as everyone else, but they are making me miserable listening to it on f%~king repeat. Everything is at the mercy of being "anti gay" now unless it actively promotes the cause. Look at the Patricks Day parade in New York! Madness!
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Broken Wing wrote:
I think that's a bit harsh, I don't think that's what he was saying at all, I would take his comments as being why is everyone so obsessed with sexuality rather than things that actually matter.

[edit] just saw your reply above. I get your point but wouldn't agree based on the fact that unfortunately it is a discussion that needs to be had. The fact that attitudes towards gay people still vary so much and there is still a prejudice in some quarters, that it needs to be everywhere that it's not ok. It's sad, I know, but it's the reality.

I think it's a generation thing too, I think society moves on, but often leaves old men stuck in their ways, but I think it's important that the "gays aren't welcome" in ultra "macho" surroundings such as rugby is a myth that needs to be discredited, and that can only occur through public discussion about attitudes in sport, both positive and negative.

Hopefully, when people of an ignorant frame of mind see public outrage at such comments, it would force them to hide their opinions and be ashamed of them rather than people having to hide their sexuality and be ashamed of it.
Last edited by [Jackass] on February 17th, 2014, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Stuka wrote:
Broken Wing wrote:
"Oh those uppity gays " What a stupid thing to say. Dont ever but words like that in my mouth again.

I believe they have as much right to be as miserable as everyone else, but they are making me miserable listening to it on f%~king repeat. Everything is at the mercy of being "anti gay" now unless it actively promotes the cause. Look at the Patricks Day parade in New York! Madness!
aye its terrible when people being mistreated speak up

http://newstalk.ie/player/home/The_Pat_ ... hts/45624/

interview with Nigel Owens on newstalk about it
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

[Jackass] wrote:
Broken Wing wrote:
I think that's a bit harsh, I don't think that's what he was saying at all, I would take his comments as being why is everyone so obsessed with sexuality rather than things that actually matter.
I guess it comes down to what you consider an important story. Stuka thinks that equality is not a big deal and seems to believe that, because he thinks it's not big news, it should not be on the news when issues that are important to him are being ignored.

Of course last week the news was wall to wall storm and flood coverage so I don't know where he was going to get a gay agenda rammed down his throat everyday. He's also ignoring that this became a story due to Putin's anti-gay stance in the lead up to the Sochi Winter Olympics and because "that self promoting waster" Panti gave an interview which was taken out of context and used to threaten legal action against RTÉ (by people who have a very definite anti-equality agenda) and RTÉ immediately bent over and paid out €85K to these conservative throwbacks. Just as that story was dying down a potential NFL draftee came out which ignited the gay debate again resulting in Off the Ball coming to it a bit late and giving Francis room to spout his bigotry.

It's a current event and the news reports on current events. I'd suggest he needs to put on his big boy pants and deal with it instead of throwing a hissy fit about people not reporting on his own agenda which seems to be the plight of the homeless. Ironically, something that was covered on RTÉ last week.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

^^^^^ Beautifully put, BW!
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Stuka wrote:"Oh those uppity gays " What a stupid thing to say. Dont ever but words like that in my mouth again.
In terms of stupid things to say you might want to review your own flamboyantly over the top post.
Stuka wrote:I believe they have as much right to be as miserable as everyone else, but they are making me miserable listening to it on f%~king repeat. Everything is at the mercy of being "anti gay" now unless it actively promotes the cause. Look at the Patricks Day parade in New York! Madness!
It's not about being pro or anti-gay. It's about anti-equality. The St. Patrick's Day parade in New York has an anti-gay rule about participation. This has been a news item for years in the lead up to the parade. It just happens to coincide with the current furore here so it has become a news item here as well. Why is it madness for gay Irish people to want to walk in a St. Patrick's Day parade? Why should they have to hide an aspect of who they are in a parade in the so called land of the free?
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Stuka
Knowledgeable

Post by Stuka »

quote]Hopefully, when people of an ignorant frame of mind see public outrage at such comments, it would force them to hide their opinions and be ashamed of them rather than people having to hide their sexuality and be ashamed of it.[/quote]

The thing is, no body should have to hide their opinion no matter how ignorant you or I might find it. There is a time and place for discussion of all things and points of view. If you force people to hide their opinion then you force them underground. The loopers in the Iona inst have a right to say they believe the magic man in the sky that no one ever sees thinks that Gays are bad. Just as Gays have to fight for their cause. However, there is a time and place.

I persnally have had it up to my tits with it being forced down my neck everytime I open the paper. Its now spread to the back pages for christs sake! ARrrrrghhh!!! Is there no escape!!
Stuka
Knowledgeable

Post by Stuka »

Broken Wing wrote:
Stuka wrote:"Oh those uppity gays " What a stupid thing to say. Dont ever but words like that in my mouth again.
In terms of stupid things to say you might want to review your own flamboyantly over the top post.
Stuka wrote:I believe they have as much right to be as miserable as everyone else, but they are making me miserable listening to it on f%~king repeat. Everything is at the mercy of being "anti gay" now unless it actively promotes the cause. Look at the Patricks Day parade in New York! Madness!
It's not about being pro or anti-gay. It's about anti-equality. The St. Patrick's Day parade in New York has an anti-gay rule about participation. This has been a news item for years in the lead up to the parade. It just happens to coincide with the current furore here so it has become a news item here as well. Why is it madness for gay Irish people to want to walk in a St. Patrick's Day parade? Why should they have to hide an aspect of who they are in a parade in the so called land of the free?

That is not true. It is not anti gay. To run an event you have to apply for a permit and you have to run by those rules. It can not be political in any way. The Gay Rights issue is a political one.

Yes i do see the irony in that as the NYC Patricks day parade is a big LOOK AT US IRISH YOU NEED OUR VOTE parade.