Help a girl out - fitness question

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Re: Help a girl out - fitness question

Post by Lamb of BOD »

RavenhillRaider wrote:Foam rolling is the way to go.
very good point. If you don't have a foam roller, you can also use a tennis ball to target more specific areas
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Oldschool wrote:Jogging is bad for the joints, that's a fact.
I'm calling you on this. I can't find anything that states as a fact the jogging is bad for joints.
Time magazine wrote:Not only is there no connection between running and arthritis, the new studies say, but running — and perhaps regular vigorous exercise generally — may even help protect people from joint problems later on.
http://content.time.com/time/health/art ... 08,00.html
NPR wrote:Jogging, long thought to hurt knees with all that pounding and rattling around, may actually be beneficial for the complex and critical joint.
http://www.npr.org/2011/03/28/134861448 ... your-knees

If you can please post a link as I'd like to read it.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

Five different experts asked to contribute an answer, most back you up BW

http://www.livescience.com/36241-5-expe ... knees.html
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

My Dad ran 19 marathons but he stopped running when he started getting knee problems because lots of his friends have knee issues and he knew the signs.

His take on running/joking is that it is fine on joints. It is the massive mileage that marathon runners run that cause issues. My Dads best time was 2hrs 53min and his worst was just under 3 and half hours and he would regularly run between 50 and 60 miles a week training and train for 2 marathons a year. He ran as much as he could on grass but the majority of his training was road running.

When he gave up running he started cycling and hill walking and his knee issues disappeared.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

IanD wrote: His take on running/joking is that it is fine on joints.
Totally misread that the first two times I read your post. I figured your dad had found the miracle 'herbal' preventer of knee injuries ....
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Anyone else getting a bit worried about honeyec??
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Anyone else getting a bit worried about honeyec??
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

No, I guess she has blasted through this early setback and is too busy zumbarobikettluiting it to waste time here.

Must get a foam roller.

Oh, and there's plenty of literature on running in modern running shoes and knee damage, not necessarily arthritis (there are quite a few kinds of arthritis and most are autoimmune disorders rather than injuries), but it's out there.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

sorry I'm late to this but there are lots of decent responses above and all have merit. the best way to counteract the onset of DOMS is more exercise - but at a much lower intensity. gentle walking, stretching and foam rolling the following day will all help.

The foam roller is great and if used consistently will help with overall flexibility.

The key thing though is to keep exercising, the DOMS will subside as your muscles get used to the exertion. if you are a fan of hot baths, then add some epsom salts to your soak and that will help a lot too.
Get in the f%~king bag.
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

Still alive. Well, barely. Between Punchestown and the ball, I may be in need of a liver transplant.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice, folks. Spoke to my trainer on Thursday before the session and his advice, seeing as I could barely sit down, let alone squat or lunge, was to give it a miss. So I rested up Thursday and went for a couple of walks/cycles over the weekend. Back in with him tonight, sigh. I'm actually going to see if I can find a decent ballet class to do in conjunction with these sessions.
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."