Help a girl out - fitness question

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

honeyec
Mullet

Help a girl out - fitness question

Post by honeyec »

So, I basically have done NO exercise since I gave up dancing three years ago. I cannot exaggerate about how unfit I am. So, I signed up to a 6 week, 2 sessions a week circuits class. First class was on Tuesday, and it was a killer. As I knew would happen, I was stiff and sore yesterday, but can barely move today - my quads have almost entirely seized up.

The next class is tonight and I am bloody well doing it. The problem is, as it stands, I literally cannot use my quad muscles. I know they'll loosen up during the session, but I'm afraid I won't even be able to start it. It took me about three minutes just to get down the stairs this morning.

Anyway, if anyone has advice/tips/suggestions on how to get around the hell of lactic acid build-up by 7pm, I'm all ears. I did a load of yoga stretches before bed on Tuesday, and again yesterday morning and evening, but I need something more.

Thanks a mill.
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Help a girl out - fitness question

Post by Peg Leg »

honeyec wrote:So, I basically have done NO exercise since I gave up dancing three years ago. I cannot exaggerate about how unfit I am. So, I signed up to a 6 week, 2 sessions a week circuits class. First class was on Tuesday, and it was a killer. As I knew would happen, I was stiff and sore yesterday, but can barely move today - my quads have almost entirely seized up.

The next class is tonight and I am bloody well doing it. The problem is, as it stands, I literally cannot use my quad muscles. I know they'll loosen up during the session, but I'm afraid I won't even be able to start it. It took me about three minutes just to get down the stairs this morning.

Anyway, if anyone has advice/tips/suggestions on how to get around the hell of lactic acid build-up by 7pm, I'm all ears. I did a load of yoga stretches before bed on Tuesday, and again yesterday morning and evening, but I need something more.

Thanks a mill.
Do you have to drive to your class?
Cycling will loosen them right out.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

Peg Leg wrote:Do you have to drive to your class?
Cycling will loosen them right out.
I don't have a bike. But I might call down to my nephew beforehand and take his out for a cycle, good suggestion, thanks.

Keep 'em coming, folks.
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Try a swim the day after your class. Great if you can have a sauna/jacuzzi too.

If you cant get a bike and cycle, walk to the class. If distance is too great park 10 mins walk away. Walking will loosen you up before the class helping you loosen up for the class. The walk back will help you get blood into the tired muscles and allow you cool down.

Sounds odd but shower as soon as you can after the class. Personally I find I am stiffer the later I shower after exercise.

Straight after the class do a full stretch concentrating on the muscles that were stiffest after the last class. If stretching is done in the class then do a few more on your own.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

Unfortunately the DOMS tend to be worst on the second day after exercise when you start back/do something new. I'm not sure what can be done at this stage in prep for this evening apart from what the lads above said, just get a nice warm up done to loosen the quads up. A very light slow jog around the carpark/hall and a some squats down onto your hunkers should stretch them out.

If you get a bit of protein into you after the class this evening and add a extra to your diet tomorrow, even just a big glass of milk, this will help the muscle repair faster and shorten your recovery time.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

There are a few do's and don'ts.
No 1 priority - Look after your back first and foremost.
If you need to, lose weight, even a kg or two is a big help. A few simple things can help.
Cut out supper, avoid eating after 7pm if possible and cut back on in between meal snacks.
Anything you eat or "drink" after 9pm goes straight onto where ever you don't want it to go.

Walk before you run or jog even. Jogging is bad for the joints, that's a fact. You can up the walking pace whenever.
Restore suppleness. ie Start with gentle stretching exercises first thing in the morning.
Aim high but not so high that you undermine your enthusiasm, remember Paris, like Rome, wasn't built in a day.
Don't forget the warm ups and downs.
Good luck with it. You won't regret making the effort. The feel good factor afterwards is great.

While you're doing the 6 weeks, try to get in even a 10 or 15 minute walk during the day just to loosen up.

Other posters have said a lot of this already.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

Weight and diet aren't an issue, it's specifically DOMS recovery advice I need!
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

honeyec wrote:Weight and diet aren't an issue, it's specifically DOMS recovery advice I need!
Says you. Oldschool begs to differ :D

The others have said - streching before during and after really. While the moscles will be bad today you will probably find they loosen quite quickly when you get going this evening. I get some tendonitis and swelling which can have a similar effect and streching and warming up are about the end of it.

Massage - if you wanted to get fancy
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'll take a massage if its going DOC?

A friend of mine was in pretty much the same boat a few months ago, eating all the protein she could get her hands on seemed to be the answer for her. Lots of water and lots of stretching are important too.

Funny, I run quite a bit but am in rag order this week for some reason. My muscles and joints are suddenly all very stiff. Forced myself to run yesterday and actually felt great once I started but am back to being in a heap today.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Swallow a fix of Glutamine right about now! Should put you in good stead, also.
Daniel Sullivan
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

honeyec wrote:The problem is, as it stands, I literally cannot use my quad muscles. I know they'll loosen up during the session, but I'm afraid I won't even be able to start it. It took me about three minutes just to get down the stairs this morning.
sounds all too familiar! Your issue, as I know you know, is that you've just done the one session. The first one is always a killer - as is the first session back after a holiday, or the first session of a completely different programme. All of the suggestions will help - protein, stretching, massage (would be very helpful if you can get one at lunch time), PLENTY of water etc - but the very best thing you can do to ease the pain is to do the exercises again (I think you mentioned you've another session tonight). One piece of advice would be to lift lighter weights tonight than your last session (if you're using weights as part of the circuit), but generally just do what you can in the class and do the protein, stretching, walking and water for the next couple of days. You'll be right as rain within a week of your first session.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'll take a massage if its going DOC?

A friend of mine was in pretty much the same boat a few months ago, eating all the protein she could get her hands on seemed to be the answer for her. Lots of water and lots of stretching are important too.

Funny, I run quite a bit but am in rag order this week for some reason. My muscles and joints are suddenly all very stiff. Forced myself to run yesterday and actually felt great once I started but am back to being in a heap today.
A colleague of mine with a very bad back (and elbows & knees etc... (but he still has one more season in him... :lol: )) replete with prosthetic discs swears by
THIS STUFF for easing joint pain. Seems to be the "milk of magnesia" for over the hill soccer players.
Daniel Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

As offended as I am by the over the hill comment (27 and quite fit!), thanks for that Peg Leg!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:As offended as I am by the over the hill comment (27 and quite fit!), thanks for that Peg Leg!
Not meaning to put you in the JohnG bracket there, but sore joints are sore joints no matter what way you look at it!
Daniel Sullivan
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Peg Leg wrote:
A colleague of mine with a very bad back (and elbows & knees etc... (but he still has one more season in him... :lol: )) replete with prosthetic discs swears by
THIS STUFF for easing joint pain. Seems to be the "milk of magnesia" for over the hill soccer players.
Yeah, I take Glucosamine every day along with cod liver oil. Healthspan are a good company too, I've been using them for years now and they are way cheaper than the local shop on the street.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Peg Leg wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:As offended as I am by the over the hill comment (27 and quite fit!), thanks for that Peg Leg!
Not meaning to put you in the JohnG bracket there, but sore joints are sore joints no matter what way you look at it!
Hey! What's with the JG bashing? Mobility scooters and pension books etc. :fist shaking icon:

I am actually fitter now than when I was your age. :alternate and more aggressive fist shake icon:
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
Hey! What's with the JG bashing? Mobility scooters and pension books etc. :fist shaking icon:

I am actually fitter now than when I was your age. :alternate and more aggressive fist shake icon:
You're probably fitter than I am too, JG!
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

domhnallj wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
Yeah, I take Glucosamine every day along with cod liver oil. Healthspan are a good company too, I've been using them for years now and they are way cheaper than the local shop on the street.
BTW Flax seed oil (which you can get in a capsule) is supposed to be better than both. (not sure you need both either)
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

johng wrote:
domhnallj wrote:
BTW Flax seed oil (which you can get in a capsule) is supposed to be better than both. (not sure you need both either)
I'm a physical wreckage and I'll take whatever pills/lotions/unguents I can stuff down me gob.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
RavenhillRaider
Knowledgeable

Post by RavenhillRaider »

Foam rolling is the way to go.
Much cheaper than getting deep tissue done.
start with one one these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trigger-Point-P ... oam+roller
and build up to these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rumble-Roller-E ... ble+roller

Will hurt at first but it gets rid of DOMS fast!!
BOD is GOD!