Second Captains

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Second Captains

Post by Peg Leg »

Probably deserving of it's own thread at this stage:
Yesterday's episode following the completion of the regular rugby season, in which 3 Irish teams qualified for the knock-outs- the show went like this.
[....Intro...][........................................................GAA Football Championship...................................................][.....T14.....]

WTF?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Second Captains

Post by blockhead »

Peg Leg wrote:Probably deserving of it's own thread at this stage:
Yesterday's episode following the completion of the regular rugby season, in which 3 Irish teams qualified for the knock-outs- the show went like this.
[....Intro...][........................................................GAA Football Championship...................................................][.....T14.....]

WTF?
Even if they did cover rugby it would have been all about the turnips. Leinster would be briefly mentioned and Ulster totally ignored (even though they were playing Munster).
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

They have given rugby a huge amount of coverage (more than any other sport) since the new year, whilst the GAA has taken a back seat.

I'd expect that to inverse now over the summer months.

Quality podcast.
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
Mickado
Knowledgeable

Post by Mickado »

The rugby usually comes in Thursday's show unless there was a big game the previous weekend.
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Mickado wrote:The rugby usually comes in Thursday's show unless there was a big game the previous weekend.
Gerry would prefer to talk about the "barrage" than the Rabo at this stage anyway.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Mickado wrote:The rugby usually comes in Thursday's show unless there was a big game the previous weekend.
Yeah, but the point still stands, the bit the did spend on rugby was all T14.
Bearing in mind the fact that the championship actually starts this weekend, we'll be lucky to hear about there being any semi-finals!!
Daniel Sullivan
Mickado
Knowledgeable

Post by Mickado »

Peg Leg wrote:
Yeah, but the point still stands, the bit the did spend on rugby was all T14.
Bearing in mind the fact that the championship actually starts this weekend, we'll be lucky to hear about there being any semi-finals!!
They spoke about the T14 but only in the context of 1) Johnny Sexton and 2) the Fritz concussion
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
future international
Enlightened

Post by future international »

Good rugby segment re O'Sullivan and Munster with Shaggy and Liam Toland on today's pod.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

What gets me is the amount of football they cover on the non-football podcast, it's like lads you have a separate dedicated football podcast, if I want to hear about football I'll tune into it thanks.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

There's loads of rugby on 2nd Captains. Often the exact inverse of what the OP says, where they'll start the show and launch straight into rugby and talk about it for about half an hour. Now there's not a huge amount of rugby news and the GAA championships are kicking off, they're going to talk about GAA.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Danthefan wrote:There's loads of rugby on 2nd Captains. Often the exact inverse of what the OP says, where they'll start the show and launch straight into rugby and talk about it for about half an hour. Now there's not a huge amount of rugby news and the GAA championships are kicking off, they're going to talk about GAA.
You were saying?
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Bod's last game and all I hear is silence. Captain retiring. League final. "Ah it's just the rabo lads"
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

johng wrote:Bod's last game and all I hear is silence. Captain retiring. League final. "Ah it's just the rabo lads"
RTE did a live radio (from some pub) show about the final tonight with Joe, Mal and ISAISAISA among others on the panel. Newstalk have covered a lot already this week and will do more as will RTE. Indo is choc a block with stuff about the game and Bod.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

blockhead wrote:
johng wrote:Bod's last game and all I hear is silence. Captain retiring. League final. "Ah it's just the rabo lads"
RTE did a live radio (from some pub) show about the final tonight with Joe, Mal and ISAISAISA among others on the panel. Newstalk have covered a lot already this week and will do more as will RTE. Indo is choc a block with stuff about the game and Bod.
Get your own thread.
Daniel Sullivan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

OK, so I know this is a thread about one particular show. But in general rugby has never had such a high profile as it does these days. The media are over it like they never were before. We've never had it so good.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

blockhead wrote:OK, so I know this is a thread about one particular show. But in general rugby has never had such a high profile as it does these days. The media are over it like they never were before. We've never had it so good.
Agreed
Daniel Sullivan
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Surprised at Second Captains having no mention of the final at all in their two Thursday shows.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Frustrating but not hugely surprising. They've a quite limited spot to get everything in. Newstalk is very handy given you can just go to listen back and listen to the rugby segment only without having to search which I much prefer at this stage.

Newstalk have flexed their muscles in the last couple of weeks with in depth interviews with EOS, ROG and Heaslip alongside their Monday and Wednesday night 30 minute slots. Perhaps Second Captains are just conceding that area now until next season?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

ceemec wrote:Frustrating but not hugely surprising. They've a quite limited spot to get everything in. Newstalk is very handy given you can just go to listen back and listen to the rugby segment only without having to search which I much prefer at this stage.
Yeah cause Landon Donovan being left out of the US Soccer WC squad was the talk of the town. I love US Murph, but he doesn't even give a sh!t about soccer!

I agree that Newstalk have lept ahead of them now and frankly I don't even both with these podcasts as much as I once did.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Paul McK ‏@CrypticIsThis 7h
@SecondCaptains
Next time you're moaning about PRL/LNR vs Erc with Dexy, remember your disinterest in the provincial teams bread & butter.

Second Captains
‏@SecondCaptains
@CrypticIsThis fear not, full coverage of the Rabo final on Tuesday's show.
Daniel Sullivan