Printer on wireless network

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

RnR
Knowledgeable

Printer on wireless network

Post by RnR »

Some advise please...

I was contemplating buying a Brother HL3140CW http://www.costpercopy.ie/Brother_HL.../hl-3140cw.htm

I require a semi portable printer, for location work, with wireless access. However, I need to restrict access to the printer to a handful of users as there might be 50+ people on the wireless network. Is there such a printer which requires perhaps a pin/code to enable printing?

Unfortunately the Brother HL3140CW doesn't allow pin/code restriction.

Thanks.
Sionnach
Bookworm

Re: Printer on wireless network

Post by Sionnach »

I think you're going to find this one tricky. Only thing I can think of is to have the printer connected to a single computer, and limit the users who can connect to it via printing preferences. i.e. It wouldn't matter if it was not wireless, as long as it was on the network people could print to it. I think some HP printers have that ePrint capability where you email the printer the file you want to print, and you have to now the email address for it to work - but it's not ideal. I can't think of any small printers that would have an access control list.

Set the printer up, and then do something like:

In Control Panel, open the Printers and Faxes folder.

Right-click the icon for the printer to which you want to restrict access, and click Properties.

To remove extraneous group members, on the Security tab, remove all entries in the Groups or user names list box except Administrator and Creator Owner.

To grant access to the printer, click Add, and then enter the names of the groups and users that you want to grant access to this printer.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Printer on wireless network

Post by Peg Leg »

I'm pretty sure you can set specific IP addresses from which to print from on most wireless printers.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan