Trip to Wembley - advice needed

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Trip to Wembley - advice needed

Post by Broken Wing »

I'm heading to Wembley with a mate at the end of the month to watch his Raiders lose to the Dolphins. We fly into Stanstead on Sunday morning and out again Monday morning. We do not have any accomodation booked.

What's the better option:
- Try and find somewhere near Wembley
- Try and find somewhere near Liverpool St Station (where we change from the Stanstead Express to get to Wembley)
- Screw accomodation, party all night like we were 20 years younger
- Something else
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Trip to Wembley - advice needed

Post by JB1973 »

Broken Wing wrote:I'm heading to Wembley with a mate at the end of the month to watch his Raiders lose to the Dolphins. We fly into Stanstead on Sunday morning and out again Monday morning. We do not have any accomodation booked.

What's the better option:
- Try and find somewhere near Wembley
- Try and find somewhere near Liverpool St Station (where we change from the Stanstead Express to get to Wembley)
- Screw accomodation, party all night like we were 20 years younger
- Something else

got to be option 3 :)

if you opt for option 2, get to browns in Shoreditch the best £1.00 in a glass pub, I have ever been to! :D
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Simple enough.

Do you want to drink with all the people who will be at the game? If so. The green man in Wembley (I think that's what it's called. Cheep and cheerful accommodation walking distance from wembley)

Do you not care where you drink? If so. Option 2.

Do you not care how you feel the next day at all? If so option 3.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Drinking with others who were at the game would be preferable.

Unfortunately the green man is full but we're looking for something similar in the area.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

I would expect Hotels around Liverpool Street to be megabucks. (Your in the City of London). Look for anything close to the Metropolitan Line. Direct Trains from Liverpool Street out to Wembley Park, (and on to Uxbridge, Amersham, Watford). Kilburn might be a good bet. (Jubilee Line with Cross Platform connections with Met Line to/from Liverpool Street.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Sionnach
Bookworm

Post by Sionnach »

Hotels in Liverpool St are not megabucks on the weekend. The Travelodge around the corner can be good value. The South Place Hotel can even be good value every now and then. That said, they're not super cheap - but perhaps just not as much as you expected.

Wembley is a shithole. Baker St is the other end of a fast train, so that would be a very good area to stay. Lots of hotels around there.

Other option would be to look at places like the Holiday Inn in Shoreditch. Plenty of nightlife around there (including Browns, if that's your thing - but I'd recommend The Horns over it) if you want, and it's pretty close to Liverpool St.
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

Wembley is a shithole but it is a shithole with good transport connections so don't stay there, stay in central London instead. As mentioned by the previous poster, there can be some good deals for hotels in the City over weekends. These hotels are full of business types during the week but empty over the weekend so they drop their prices to attract punters. The City itself is pretty quiet over weekends but you aren't far from areas with more happening, like Hoxton, Shoreditch and Brick Lane.

You could try the Grange Hotel City, or Tower Bridge. They won't be dirt cheap but you should get rooms for a lot less than during the week, or there are a chain hotels like Ibis, Travel Lodge or Premier Inn in the area as well.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

mikerob wrote:Wembley is a shithole but it is a shithole with good transport connections so don't stay there, stay in central London instead.
Good advice. I had never been to Wembley before the Saracens game in the 2010-11 HEC, and I was really surprised by how grim the locale was.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Thanks for the replies. Next time I'm heading to London I'll definitely look for the city hotels as recommended by mikerob.They are certainly cheaper than anything near the stadium.

From looking at the forum on the NFLUK site there seems to be plenty to do before the game around Wembley so we've booked into a cheap hotel a couple of tube stops beyond it. We get in early enough to check into the hotel and get back to the grounds in plenty of time for the build up (Def Leppard pre game show!) and then on to the Green Man for the late game.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Rogocoko
Knowledgeable

Post by Rogocoko »

Yeah, they do a "tailgate" before the game outside wembley its good craic and theres some nice (but expensive) food on offer.... I recommend the Bodeans stand if its there this year.

If your're planning on having a few beers at the tailgate... I recommend bringing 1/2 sneaky cans as the queues at the bar can be massive at times.

Also... bear in mind the final day of the Ryder Cup is on that Sunday.... so if you want to watch it theres a few hotels right beside the stadium (Wembley park tube station side) and they should be showing it.

Also as a final note... if you can take the tube to Wembley park station as opposed to the regular wembley one as its much closer to the stadium and the tailgate/hotels.

Enjoy!
Munster. I hate the word, as I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee.