Sponsorship / Crowd funding / Need money....

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Sponsorship / Crowd funding / Need money....

Post by Peg Leg »

I need some ideas!
At the weekend I was given the opportunity to try on a blade: http://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/1410034/5000/#5
The hugely successful event was organised by IDS in cappagh hospital in conjunction with the irish paralympic team and their sponsor Mondeléz, in an effort to encourage younger amputee's to take up running. Their ultimate aim being an Irish blade runner in the 2020 paralympics.

I can not begin to describe the sensation/elation at being able to run properly followed by the depression of being told that running on my own prosthesis is damaging my back. So, I want one and I have no idea how to raise the money (€10,000) to get one! I am not anyway fast and so competing (with a view to winning) is not much of an option for any possible sponsorship. But I would be completely willing to whore any marketability out of any sponsorship possible!

I'm not looking for a free leg, I'm looking for assistance to reduce to the amount I will borrow. Any ideas?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Sponsorship / Crowd funding / Need money....

Post by JB1973 »

Given the nature of rugby and the ethos of helping our own, is there anyway you could contact Leinster and ask them if you do a collection from the crowd at one of the home games.

A few pals walking round to collect donations in some buckets would almost certainly pull in a few quid for you, maybe they could announce it over the tannoy for you pre match or at half time or something
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

JB1973 wrote:Given the nature of rugby and the ethos of helping our own, is there anyway you could contact Leinster and ask them if you do a collection from the crowd at one of the home games.

A few pals walking round to collect donations in some buckets would almost certainly pull in a few quid for you, maybe they could announce it over the tannoy for you pre match or at half time or something
Agreed. A couple of quid from a quarter of the crowd, and you'd be nearly there.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Sounds like a good idea but unfortunately doubt it's a runner as charity LR partnerships already exist (they normally get exclusive access to supporters for any collections etc inside the ticketed areas of the RDS).
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Twitter/Facebook could be great for this kind of thing. Set up a page where people can donate and then set up twitter/Facebook profiles to get the word out. Tweet the likes of The Ray D'Arcy show, The Late Late etc asking them to retweet and mention it on air.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

"Leinster Rugby will facilitate a further two charity requests every month. The CSR Committee will evaluate each submission on its merits and will revert to the two successful charities directly. Due to the volume of requests, we will not be in a position to respond to each individual charity. But we feel that overall this is a very positive step. Please apply using form below..."

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/supporters/ ... rities.php
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Thanks lads, much appreciated. As much as I want the leg, I think there are charities much more worthy of your money. However I feel I do have the means to pay for the leg over an extended period, I'm just trying to find some level of subsidy that could be somewhat beneficial to any potential donor. For that reason I would not seek to raise the money without there being some level of return, ie. sponsorship or other endorsement opportunities for a company or entity looking to associate themselves with supporting amputees/people with disabilities.
Daniel Sullivan
aisling7
Rhys Ruddock

Post by aisling7 »

Hi Peg Leg....

I don't know you but I'd be happy to donate €10 if you had a donation page - god knows what you might get from this site alone if you had a donation page set up. Some people might have less to give/more to give but you never know..... it will start the fund for you anyway. If you set up a page, post the link here and I will happily donate.
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

aisling7 wrote:Hi Peg Leg....

I don't know you but I'd be happy to donate €10 if you had a donation page - god knows what you might get from this site alone if you had a donation page set up. Some people might have less to give/more to give but you never know..... it will start the fund for you anyway. If you set up a page, post the link here and I will happily donate.
I would gladly donate also.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Plus 1!

Really do think the important thing is to just set up a page to donate, it'll gain momentum from there.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Jesus guys I'm floored by the generosity. I will do that. Well and truly humbled.
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Genuinely, taken aback...
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote:Genuinely, taken aback...
Yep set up the donation page.
Irish people's capacity for donating to good causes is world renowned. You may be shocked but you shouldn't be surprised or disappointed.
We're like lemmings to a good cause.
Mine'll be 99 cent donation btw. :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

I'll join in as well.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

If it helps - using a kick starter type page (probably not kickstarter as they have certain criteria but there are others) can allow a setup where people pledge but only pay if you get to a certain level - which would avoid the situation of collecting e.g. €100 and then wondering whether to return or keep or give to another charity. I think sometimes people are willing to pledge if they know it will happen. So you could say (as an example) that if you get to €5k you are going ahead no matter what, then once it gets to that the pledges are collected though it can remain open for further contributions - if that makes sense
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Oldschool wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Genuinely, taken aback...
Yep set up the donation page.
Irish people's capacity for donating to good causes is world renowned. You may be shocked but you shouldn't be surprised or disappointed.
We're like lemmings to a good cause.
Mine'll be 99 cent donation btw. :wink:
Less the transaction charge I assume :)
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

:shock:

I've just remembered the quote I have in my signature

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

The Doc wrote::shock:

I've just remembered the quote I have in my signature

Tis my right leg and all
Daniel Sullivan
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

I'll give you a tenner to fella, let me know when your sight is up and running
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

JB1973 wrote:I'll give you a tenner to fella, let me know when your sight is up and running
He's looking for a new leg JB, not an eyeball. :D

I'm in for a tenner too.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation