Positive messages for Charity

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Positive messages for Charity

Post by Morf »

Donny B. wrote:Positive Donny for Charity, day 11

"Goodfellas", my favourite film of all time. An absolute belter of a movie on so many levels. It's filmed beautifully by Scorcese and it looks amazing, getting the various period details perfect. It is at times scarily violent and hysterically funny. It features some of the best ever use of popular music in cinema such as when Robert De Niro decides to murder someone to "Sunshine of your love" or there's a raft of bodies discovered to the piano refrain from "Layla". It features career best performances from Ray Liotta, Joe Pesci, Paul Sorvino and Lorraine Bracco and perhaps De Niro's last truly great performance. Nearly two and a half hours long, but it flies by because it's entertaining throughout as the glamour of a life of crime is slowly but surely stripped away.

I must have seen this a 100 times at least but if it was on TV tonight, I'd stick it on again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo5jJpHtI1Y

Adore this track from it!

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Re: Positive messages for Flash Gordon

Post by Flash Gordon »

johng wrote:Wow! Am I on acid?

Great work on the positivity donny. It suits you.
I haven't argued with him for days now. It feels like there's something missing in my life that has been replaced by clouds of fluffy happiness! :D
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Flash Gordon wrote:I haven't argued with him for days now.
You need to up the ante, and make him work for the charity donation! Try and convince him that MoC is a winning coach, etc. Praise George Hook if you need to!
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

meinster wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:I haven't argued with him for days now.
You need to up the ante, and make him work for the charity donation! Try and convince him that MoC is a winning coach, etc. Praise George Hook if you need to!
If you REALLY want to be cruel make HIM argue that MoC is a winning coach. :lol:
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Now, now boys, let's keep it positive.

Plenty of time for rows once the final three days are done.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Positive Donny for Charity, day 12

"No one knows" is for me as close to perfection as a rock song as it gets. It announces itself with a few basic chords and then kicks into a killer riff, the bedrock of every great rock tune. Nick Oliveri's bass and Dave Grohl's drums keep a steady pace while Josh Homme's strangely haunting vocals dance along on top on them. And then it all goes a bit mad for the chorus. But it's probably the epic bass/guitar/drum solo which makes this tune such a favourite of Guitar Hero fans.

If I ever host a radio show, this will be the first song I play!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s88r_q7oufE
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Donny B. wrote:Now, now boys, let's keep it positive.

Is it killing you? :)
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

johng wrote:

Is it killing you? :)
He's definitely wilting.
Flash Gordon is an evil genius.
Any mention of MOC, Liverpool or hair care products could tip him over the edge.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Donny B. wrote:Positive Donny for Charity, day 12

"No one knows" is for me as close to perfection as a rock song as it gets. It announces itself with a few basic chords and then kicks into a killer riff, the bedrock of every great rock tune. Nick Oliveri's bass and Dave Grohl's drums keep a steady pace while Josh Homme's strangely haunting vocals dance along on top on them. And then it all goes a bit mad for the chorus. But it's probably the epic bass/guitar/drum solo which makes this tune such a favourite of Guitar Hero fans.

Good track but I'd plump for Little Sister if I had to choose a QOTSA track.

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Morf wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Positive Donny for Charity, day 12

Good track but I'd plump for Little Sister if I had to choose a QOTSA track.

Fine track, but for me, they'll never top No One Knows.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

MOC's in the new leader of Fianna Fail. Let's all wish him best of luck in his quest to become Taoiseach hey?!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Flash Gordon wrote:

MOC's in the new leader of Fianna Fail. Let's all wish him best of luck in his quest to become Taoiseach hey?!
Lads, let's just not be positive, let's also be grammatically correct eh? :D
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Donny B. wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:

Are you being negative about my grammar?
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote: MOC's in the new leader of Fianna Fail. Let's all wish him best of luck in his quest to become Taoiseach hey?!
Not yet but I'd say come back at the weekend :D
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
I'm just encouraging you to do better, because I believe in you Flash!! :D
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Positive Donny for Charity, day 13

Dublin 3-18 Kerry 3-11, All-Ireland football semi-final 2013

Outside of rugby, this was the best sporting occasion I ever attended. Crazy match, Dubs went behind in the first half after a masterclass from Gooch Cooper and James O'Donoghue. But they held on and came back to win by seven. Cracking game that showed everything that's good about the G.A.A.

Couldn't find decent highlights online, but here are the last eight minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiPtHjiCgbg
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Positive Donny for charity Day 14 - final post

Well, here's the final post so Flash Gordon and Combatlogo, please make your donations to your charities and thanks.

It's funny, at times during this challenge I struggled to think of things to post about but with only one post left, I was suddenly hit with a glut of ideas. The career of Paul McGrath, the voice of Luke Kelly and the books of Irvine Welsh were all considered, but as a Leinster man I couldn't not pick my favourite ever game and it was of course the second Heineken Cup win, back in 2011.

Best European final ever, Leinster looked dead and buried after the first half when they trailed by 16 points. My mate beside me said it was gone, but I still believed in them and said they could still do it if they started playing. And boy did they start playing!

Sean O'Brien was a colossus in the second half, battering Northampton players aside like bowling pins. The scrum which had struggled so much in the first half turned it around and started to dominate and won some crucial penalties. And what about Jonny Sexton? Two tries in a 28 point haul. The Leinster fans in the Millennium stadium seemed to double in number in the second half and they grew into a frenzy willing their team home. Nathan Hines's try was the icing on the cake and remarkably Leinster could relax for the last few minutes of a game that looked gone at half-time.

What a day!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meJd5gGjdGc

Well that's it, hope you enjoyed all the positive posts and nice to see The Irish Cancer Society and Pieta House get a few bob from all my waffling.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Donny B. wrote:Positive Donny for charity Day 14 - final post

Well, here's the final post so Flash Gordon and Combatlogo, please make your donations to your charities and thanks.

It's funny, at times during this challenge I struggled to think of things to post about but with only one post left, I was suddenly hit with a glut of ideas. The career of Paul McGrath, the voice of Luke Kelly and the books of Irvine Welsh were all considered, but as a Leinster man I couldn't not pick my favourite ever game and it was of course the second Heineken Cup win, back in 2011.

Best European final ever, Leinster looked dead and buried after the first half when they trailed by 16 points. My mate beside me said it was gone, but I still believed in them and said they could still do it if they started playing. And boy did they start playing!

Sean O'Brien was a colossus in the second half, battering Northampton players aside like bowling pins. The scrum which had struggled so much in the first half turned it around and started to dominate and won some crucial penalties. And what about Jonny Sexton? Two tries in a 28 point haul. The Leinster fans in the Millennium stadium seemed to double in number in the second half and they grew into a frenzy willing their team home. Nathan Hines's try was the icing on the cake and remarkably Leinster could relax for the last few minutes of a game that looked gone at half-time.

What a day!!!

Well that's it, hope you enjoyed all the positive posts and nice to see The Irish Cancer Society and Pieta House get a few bob from all my waffling.
What a day indeed.
I was crestfallen at half-time, contemplated going to the bar for the 2nd half I must admit, I was distraught. When their 7 man scrum pushed back our full eight I thought that was it. When they scored their third try I mumbled to the guy beside "thats it, its over". But what a 2nd half, never to be forgotten.
Full game in 15min segments starts here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fB26oTb4x8
Cardiff was great that night but I we had to get the bus back to the ferry early enough. On the ferry they showed the whole match again in the bar, magic.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

blockhead wrote:
What a day indeed.
I was crestfallen at half-time, contemplated going to the bar for the 2nd half I must admit, I was distraught. When their 7 man scrum pushed back our full eight I thought that was it. When they scored their third try I mumbled to the guy beside "thats it, its over". But what a 2nd half, never to be forgotten.
Cardiff was great that night but I we had to get the bus back to the ferry early enough. On the ferry they showed the whole match again in the bar, magic.
I was staying in Llanelli that night, got the train back with a few lads who were getting the ferry. Great memories.
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

blockhead wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Positive Donny for charity Day 14 - final post

What a day!!!

What a day indeed.
Oh, that was a rough ferry crossing! I'd been off the booze for the day, to drive to Pembroke that night and get the 3am ferry. They showed the match a couple of times for the brave few who were awake and not ill. Missed my niece's christening the following day cos we slept in. (We'd have been excused, except that the priest was on the same ferry and he made it there in time.)

Totally worth it, though. What an incredible atmosphere.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown