Positive messages for Charity

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: Positive messages for Flash Gordon

Post by fourthirtythree »

Welll... it was directed by Rob Reiner, just on a string of winners with Spinal Tap and Stand by Me for example around that time. Written by William Goldman who is similarly illustrious (though his novelisation of the filmscript is worth avoiding). Apart from Andre it has beloved character actor Mandy Patinkin, Peter Falk (Columbo is the grandfather!), Christopher Guest (spinal tap), inveterate character actor and avant garde playwright/director Wallace Shawn who you have seen everywhere and also collaborates with Spinal Tap people, Robin Wright (later Robin Wright Penn) as Buttercup (she was kind of famous in the 80s/90s... cameos from comedians Peter Cook, Mel Smith and Billy Crystal...

It was one of those movies that the stars aligned for.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

johng wrote:Is it bad that I have never heard of the film nor anyone in it bar Andre the giant?
Not bad at all, cause it means you can watch it fresh now.

If you watch House of Cards, you know Robin Wright, if you've watch Homeland you know Mandy Patinkin and if watched er...... Saw 3D: The Final Chapter you know Cary Elwes.....but you should also be a little ashamed of yourself. :-)
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

fourthirtythree wrote: inveterate character actor and avant garde playwright/director Wallace Shawn
Love me some Wallace Shawn. As you say he's in everything, but I particularly like his turn as a sinister mob lawyer in 'The Good Wife".
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

fourthirtythree wrote:Welll... it was directed by Rob Reiner, just on a string of winners with Spinal Tap and Stand by Me for example around that time. Written by William Goldman who is similarly illustrious (though his novelisation of the filmscript is worth avoiding). Apart from Andre it has beloved character actor Mandy Patinkin, Peter Falk (Columbo is the grandfather!), Christopher Guest (spinal tap), inveterate character actor and avant garde playwright/director Wallace Shawn who you have seen everywhere and also collaborates with Spinal Tap people, Robin Wright (later Robin Wright Penn) as Buttercup (she was kind of famous in the 80s/90s... cameos from comedians Peter Cook, Mel Smith and Billy Crystal...

It was one of those movies that the stars aligned for.
Don't forget Fred Savage!

(unlike the rest of television!)

Yes, I know hes now a pretty successful director
I have Bumbleflex
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

fourthirtythree wrote:Welll... it was directed by Rob Reiner, just on a string of winners with Spinal Tap and Stand by Me
The Sure Thing, When Harry met Sally, Misery, A Few Good Men all fine movies too.

Lost it with North and never really got it back after that, but those 80's and early 90's movies make for a fine career.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I saw spinal tap. Feck it I was IN spinal tap. (or close enough)
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Donny B. wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote: inveterate character actor and avant garde playwright/director Wallace Shawn
Love me some Wallace Shawn. As you say he's in everything, but I particularly like his turn as a sinister mob lawyer in 'The Good Wife".

He is fantastic as Grand Nagus Zek in Deep Space 9...I'll get my coat
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

johng wrote:I saw spinal tap. Feck it I was IN spinal tap. (or close enough)
So that's what happened to the keyboard player!!!

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Yes, I know hes now a pretty successful director
I didn't!
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

RoboProp wrote:
Donny B. wrote:

He is fantastic as Grand Nagus Zek in Deep Space 9...I'll get my coat
Ahh yes the duel of cunning is one of the scene I remember most fondly.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Positive Donny for Charity, day 7

Okay, I've been challenged to post a positive message...ah jaysus you know the story at this stage.

Today is very simple, a tune for those heading out tonight to Halloween Parties or whatever, the wonderful William Onyeabor with "Fantastic Man"
Heard it for the first time the other day and put me in great form :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXJ17nN3kZ8
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Positive Donny for Charity, day 8

I love my summers as much as the next guy, but I always find myself at something of a loss on Saturday afternoons. Because for the rest of the year Saturday afternoons = club rugby. Whether it's my own club Tallaght RFC or an AIL match, it's great to get out and watch grass roots rugby. Now I love Ireland and Leinster, but it's important to support the club game too because it's still the bedrock on which Irish rugby is built. So if you're a rugby fan but aren't affiliated to a club, why not get out and support your local club or go to a league match?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Positive Donny for Charity, day 9

The Chicago Bears defence of 1985.

The unblockable Bears were something else. Their defensive line alone was a wonderfully mixed up bunch of criminals from Fridge Perry, Richard Dent, Dan Hampton and crazy right-wing nutter Steve McMichael. The three linebackers Otis Wilson (who went to the Raiders), Wilbur Marshall (who won a SB with Washington) and Mike Singletary were also legendary.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Will Potato Waffles be getting a mention before the fortnight is over? They're waffley versatile. Also, Hickies Wavin ad, just because
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Positive Donny for Charity, day 10

One of these posts had to be my favourite Leinster player. Had to think long and hard about it and Denis Hickie, Keith Gleeson and Sean O'Brien were contenders. But I've plumped for Isa Nacewa.

In a word Isa was just class. Played wherever he was needed and never seemed too bothered cause he was all about the team. Always seemed to have an extra bit of time and nearly always made the right decision at the right time. A total pro, he was a great example for young Irish players of how to conduct yourself as a player, he was a total gent off the pitch too. Enjoy some great memories in this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwLZaqafa_o
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

RoboProp wrote:Will Potato Waffles be getting a mention before the fortnight is over? They're waffley versatile. Also, Hickies Wavin ad, just because
Not really my bag, but will the magnificent Wavin Ad feature in the next four days? Only time will tell..... :D
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

I've to admit, when I read the thread title, I feared something awful had befallen Flash.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

ceemec wrote:I've to admit, when I read the thread title, I feared something awful had befallen Flash.
You know, you're right. Title changed
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Donny B. wrote:
ceemec wrote:I've to admit, when I read the thread title, I feared something awful had befallen Flash.
You know, you're right. Title changed
I think you should change it back - then when you've seen the new Guinness ad, we make something awful befall Flash!
I have Bumbleflex
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: Positive messages for Charity

Post by Donny B. »

Positive Donny for Charity, day 11

"Goodfellas", my favourite film of all time. An absolute belter of a movie on so many levels. It's filmed beautifully by Scorcese and it looks amazing, getting the various period details perfect. It is at times scarily violent and hysterically funny. It features some of the best ever use of popular music in cinema such as when Robert De Niro decides to murder someone to "Sunshine of your love" or there's a raft of bodies discovered to the piano refrain from "Layla". It features career best performances from Ray Liotta, Joe Pesci, Paul Sorvino and Lorraine Bracco and perhaps De Niro's last truly great performance. Nearly two and a half hours long, but it flies by because it's entertaining throughout as the glamour of a life of crime is slowly but surely stripped away.

I must have seen this a 100 times at least but if it was on TV tonight, I'd stick it on again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo5jJpHtI1Y