Positive messages for Charity

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: Positive messages for Flash Gordon

Post by Donny B. »

Slipper1 wrote:Big dinner or small plate?
Big Dinner. Took some doing. Thankfully this is only an occasional thing.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Positive Donny for Charity, day 4

Okay, I've been challenged to post a positive message every day for 14 days on here and on Facebook and my good buddy and regular arguing partner Flash Gordon has said he'll give 50 euro to BOTH Pieta House and The Irish Cancer Society if I do it, cause he's always saying I'm such a moany hole on here and on Facebook and yeah, he might be onto something there. Others have pledged money too.

So today I want to talk about a place that's right on my doorstep that I use virtually every day, Tymon Park. Whether walking or running, it's great to have such a nice green area to get out in. It's lovely to see other people out exercising, walking dogs, training kids in the various sports that operate up there or using the gym machines they put in a few years ago.

It's gives you a lovely sense of community and it's good for people's physical and mental health. So here's to you, Tymon Park.

Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Everything about this song is glorious. Composition, production and performance.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Donny B. wrote:Positive Donny for Charity, day 4

Okay, I've been challenged to post a positive message every day for 14 days on here and on Facebook and my good buddy and regular arguing partner Flash Gordon has said he'll give 50 euro to BOTH Pieta House and The Irish Cancer Society if I do it, cause he's always saying I'm such a moany hole on here and on Facebook and yeah, he might be onto something there. Others have pledged money too.

So today I want to talk about a place that's right on my doorstep that I use virtually every day, Tymon Park. Whether walking or running, it's great to have such a nice green area to get out in. It's lovely to see other people out exercising, walking dogs, training kids in the various sports that operate up there or using the gym machines they put in a few years ago.

It's gives you a lovely sense of community and it's good for people's physical and mental health. So here's to you, Tymon Park.

It's much, much nicer than that picture suggests. My kids love the forest playground.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

It's past midnight.

I love nuts, nuts are fantastic. Apart from almonds
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

fourthirtythree wrote:
It's much, much nicer than that picture suggests. My kids love the forest playground.
Quite true, hard to get good pics online though.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Positive Donny for Charity, day 5

So today it's 80's music.

Often derided as the decade of hair metal and cheesy, manufactured pop, 80's music is actually far more diverse than you think. You have the English and American New Wave and post-punk stuff, some great SKA tunes, the birth of electronic music and thrash metal and the early (and great) days of Hip-Hop.
So here's 100 80's tunes some of which you may love and some you may not and there's some guilty pleasure cheesy pop and hair metal thrown in there two. I'm sure there's loads of stuff I've forgotten as well but 100 tunes is enough to be getting on with.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... TSSJLzr4ul
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

I've not listened to the play list, but if you don't have Testament in there in your thrash music section then it is incomplete. Others may love the first four Metallica, Slayer and Megadeth albums and lord knows I do, but Testament are thrash :D
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Peter & The Test Tube Babies
Mercyful Fate
Dark Angel
Sepultura
Carcass
Death
Pixies
Godflesh
Morbid Angel
Obituary
Pestilence
Repulsion
Terrorizer

All 80s top bands that I have full albums of outside the big 4.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Morf wrote:Peter & The Test Tube Babies
Mercyful Fate
Dark Angel
Sepultura
Carcass
Death
Pixies
Godflesh
Morbid Angel
Obituary
Pestilence
Repulsion
Terrorizer

All 80s top bands that I have full albums of outside the big 4.
awesome. A lot of blasts from the past. Of the ones listed Sepultura would be the only ones I would still listen to. I'm guessing you spent a lot of time outside the Sound Cellar and in the Amusement City Arcade. McGonigles on a Friday night with Tom Hayes DJing. Good times
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

RoboProp wrote:I've not listened to the play list, but if you don't have Testament in there in your thrash music section then it is incomplete. Others may love the first four Metallica, Slayer and Megadeth albums and lord knows I do, but Testament are thrash :D
Yeah, I go about as far as Metallica's 'One'. That's enough for me. :-)
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Positive Donny for Charity, day 6

Well today it's The Princess Bride

A lot of times you have something that you've loved watching as a kid, but then you watch it as an adult and frankly it's not great. However the Princess Bride stands up just as well today as it did back in 1987. It's one of those great films that have something for everyone to enjoy. The kids can enjoy the fairytale story framework while the adults can enjoy the very sharp humour. Featuring brilliant performances from Robin Wright, Cary Elwes, Wallace Shawn, Mandy Patinkin, Christoper Guest and the late wrestler Andre the Giant it was ahead of it's time and was very influential. So if you haven't seen it since you were a kid, rent or download a copy and if you have kids that haven't seen it, sit down and watch it with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_eZmEiyTo0
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Wow! Am I on acid?

Great work on the positivity donny. It suits you.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

RoboProp wrote:awesome. A lot of blasts from the past. Of the ones listed Sepultura would be the only ones I would still listen to. I'm guessing you spent a lot of time outside the Sound Cellar and in the Amusement City Arcade. McGonigles on a Friday night with Tom Hayes DJing. Good times
Bit of a johnny come lately. Started listening to metal about 2000.

I did get a few made up prices from Sound Cellar though and far more tickets.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Donny B. wrote:Positive Donny for Charity, day 6

A lot of times you have something that you've loved watching as a kid, but then you watch it as an adult and frankly it's not great. However the Princess Bride stands up just as well today as it did back in 1987. It's one of those great films that have something for everyone to enjoy. The kids can enjoy the fairytale story framework while the adults can enjoy the very sharp humour. Featuring brilliant performances from Robin Wright, Cary Elwes, Wallace Shawn, Mandy Patinkin, Christoper Guest and the late wrestler Andre the Giant it was ahead of it's time and was very influential. So if you haven't seen it since you were a kid, rent or download a copy and if you have kids that haven't seen it, sit down and watch it with them.

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Andre the giant used to get lifts to and from school squeezed into Samuel Beckett's 2CV. Beckett mostly talked about cricket.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Xanthippe wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Positive Donny for Charity, day 6

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
"Inconceivable!!!" - "You keep using that word, I'm not sure it's means what you think it means!"
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

fourthirtythree wrote:Andre the giant used to get lifts to and from school squeezed into Samuel Beckett's 2CV. Beckett mostly talked about cricket.
Only found out about the Beckett thing a few days ago.

Quite a good documentary on him here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZbmR8rnJvk
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Is it bad that I have never heard of the film nor anyone in it bar Andre the giant?
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

johng wrote:Is it bad that I have never heard of the film nor anyone in it bar Andre the giant?

Colombo is in it, more relevant for you :lol:
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English