There's been too much talk about the hard cases.

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

There's been too much talk about the hard cases.

Post by Oldschool »

Referendum vote tomorrow - make your right to vote count.
Personally the heading of this thread says it all about Irish (some) political attitudes to difficult societal issues.
Ignore them and they'll go away, won't they?
The current situation means woman are at risk of being treated as second class citizens relative to the unborn.
Equal right to life is a very narrow prescription.
After that it's advantage the unborn.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: There's been too much talk about the hard cases.

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It's a yes from me.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

It's time the men of Ireland stood up for the women of Ireland. Long overdue in fact.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

johng wrote:It's time the men of Ireland stood up for the women of Ireland. Long overdue in fact.
Meh, until the men of Ireland stop voting in their droves for catholic centre right parties, the women of Ireland will be right where we've always put them.
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Whatever sits to the left of those parties is often ridiculed and demonized by media and electorate alike.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

johng wrote:Whatever sits to the left of those parties is often ridiculed and demonized by media and electorate alike.
I know, and their particular targets are often women because its easy and fun, how we all lolled. Ruth Coppinger, Joan Burton, Clare Daly, Maureen O'Sullivan to take but a few are regularly singled out as figures of ridicule because of their hair, or the way the talk or the way the look or the way they have vagin... the way they believe in stuff, in ways that men aren't.
I have Bumbleflex
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Ok, aborting a baby is about the worst thing in the world that someone can do IMO and I utterly disagree with the act.

But I will be voting yes on the basis that
1. It is needed in Ireland as a medical (physical/mental health) option.
B. I believe it is up to an individual to decide if they wish to make and live with that decision personally.
3. The current constitutional amendments are there to massage the numbers and make good catholic Ireland feel better about its pro life status.

I do not think the yes side will win though.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Imho. It's way down there behind actual murder. Torture. Child molesting. Wilful destruction of the planet.

I would still be against it but would not stand in the way of someone who felt they have no option.

The only part of the no campaign I respect is the people who actually do something to support women with crisis pregnancy.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote:
johng wrote:It's time the men of Ireland stood up for the women of Ireland. Long overdue in fact.
Meh, until the men of Ireland stop voting in their droves for catholic centre right parties, the women of Ireland will be right where we've always put them.
Like the current ruling centre right party that is advocating a yes vote tomorrow? The one with the gay leader. The same party that brought in gay marriage?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote:
johng wrote:Whatever sits to the left of those parties is often ridiculed and demonized by media and electorate alike.
I know, and their particular targets are often women because its easy and fun, how we all lolled. Ruth Coppinger, Joan Burton, Clare Daly, Maureen O'Sullivan to take but a few are regularly singled out as figures of ridicule because of their hair, or the way the talk or the way the look or the way they have vagin... the way they believe in stuff, in ways that men aren't.
Anorakman, Biffo, that toool from Wexford in the pink shirt, Ming Flanigan and the Healy Raes would like a word.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

paddyor wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Like the current ruling centre right party that is advocating a yes vote tomorrow? The one with the gay leader. The same party that brought in gay marriage?
Neither Fine Gael nor Fianna Fail are advocating for any vote tomorrow. There isn't even any reference to the referendum on either party's websites.
Individual members of those parties are, as private citizens, advocating on both sides of the vote
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

I notice as well there's no mention of Leo being gay......
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Can we separate general political commentary from the vote tomorrow. I'd hope people won't vote one way or the other to make a political point in the polls - the issue, for me, is more fundamental than that.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Peg Leg wrote:
I was unsure up to the last few days - it feels to me that there may be a swing to "Yes" (though I am in a South Dublin bubble so very hard to tell)
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

paddyor wrote:I notice as well there's no mention of Leo being gay......
Why would there be?
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The Doc wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Can we separate general political commentary from the vote tomorrow. I'd hope people won't vote one way or the other to make a political point in the polls - the issue, for me, is more fundamental than that.
+1
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

The Doc wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
I was unsure up to the last few days - it feels to me that there may be a swing to "Yes" (though I am in a South Dublin bubble so very hard to tell)
Haven't the polls consistently shown a yes lead? In addition, one of my colleagues is returning home to vote (despite knowingly committing voter fraud) - I'm sure they are not alone.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The Doc wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Political commentary is essential though. The vote tomorrow is only a small step in this process. The significant battle will be when the Bill to Regulate Termination of Pregnancy is brought before the Dail. I'm not confident that many people (on either side) realise this and when the 8th is repealed (as I believe it will be) people will head off thinking thats that. I'm more confident of the 8th being repealed than I am of the Bill being passed.
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It's not essential the day before the vote.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Dave Cahill wrote:
In the middle of making my annual tax return.
They and their male ilk deserve all the ridicule they get, apart from their support for the Yes campaign.
Their attitude to the tax payers hard earned money is to waste a lot of it on a bunch of free loaders.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.