Corona Virus

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Ruckedtobits »

This piece from the FT this morning includes the best set of Charts I have come across to explain the pace of infection and deaths right around the world. Fortunately, Ireland doesn't figure on too prominently on it.

https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Ruckedtobits wrote:This piece from the FT this morning includes the best set of Charts I have come across to explain the pace of infection and deaths right around the world. Fortunately, Ireland doesn't figure on too prominently on it.

https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest
I've been following him on twitter - he updates the charts and commentary daily. And the FT have put these outside the paywall.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

blockhead wrote:
RoboProp wrote:Well that was mighty uncomfortable, and I was educated by Christian brothers
I thought it just a swab up the nose, no?
Are you sure you didn't take a wrong turn and end up getting a colonoscopy?
Throat and nose and they get right in the nose. Didn't even buy me dinner first. Get results in a few days, they did say if I had it and it passed it won't show. I think they'd need bloods to be certain. Going on my timeline 5 days after being in contact with suspected case I was sick for approx 14 days after. It was weird as some days I'd wake feeling ok then boom and then other days the reverse, then some rubbish for the whole day

Feeling a helluva lot better past couple of days. I'm missing rugby something terrible. Time to watch DVDs and YouTube
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I have Bumbleflex
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

RoboProp wrote:
blockhead wrote:
RoboProp wrote:Well that was mighty uncomfortable, and I was educated by Christian brothers
Throat and nose and they get right in the nose. Didn't even buy me dinner first. Get results in a few days, they did say if I had it and it passed it won't show. I think they'd need bloods to be certain. Going on my timeline 5 days after being in contact with suspected case I was sick for approx 14 days after. It was weird as some days I'd wake feeling ok then boom and then other days the reverse, then some rubbish for the whole day

Feeling a helluva lot better past couple of days. I'm missing rugby something terrible. Time to watch DVDs and YouTube
I'm sure there's an alternate universe/timeline out there where the Kings v Leinster game is still going ahead this evening.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

paddyor wrote:
blockhead wrote:
THey go right up the nose apparently, stings like fook.
Sorry, need to dispel the "up the nose" myth. Everyone in here can fit the full length of a cotton bud into their nose. It goes straight into your face, perpendicular to your profile.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oooooh that is handy.
Daniel Sullivan
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Peg Leg wrote:
Oooooh that is handy.
Yeah, ta for that DC. I'll enjoy rewatching that
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

RoboProp wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
Oooooh that is handy.
Yeah, ta for that DC. I'll enjoy rewatching that
So test results aside and fair play for posting here about, how long more can you dodg eh I mean how long more will you have to stay out of work.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

RoboProp

Forgive the delay in wishing you well. As a Type 1 Diabetic this is scaring the cr@p out of me and being able to put a face on this disease has certainly upped the ante. At this stage I am sticking my head in the sand a bit - trying not to read news sites etc. I am getting really bored of jokes and memes about Covid 19. I really feel bad as I know people are only trying to laugh it off and make me feel better and for some reason this feeling has really upset me.

Anyway enough of my bellyaching. Thanks for the updates.

Wishing you and the Family all the best and a very speedy recovery.

Cheers Ian
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

IanD wrote:
RoboProp

Forgive the delay in wishing you well. As a Type 1 Diabetic this is scaring the cr@p out of me and being able to put a face on this disease has certainly upped the ante. At this stage I am sticking my head in the sand a bit - trying not to read news sites etc. I am getting really bored of jokes and memes about Covid 19. I really feel bad as I know people are only trying to laugh it off and make me feel better and for some reason this feeling has really upset me.

Cheers Ian
They are trying to make themselves feel better because they are scared and confused too. Anyone who is respecting the necessary precautions is okay in my book. Be well guys.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

ronk wrote:
IanD wrote:
RoboProp

Cheers Ian
They are trying to make themselves feel better because they are scared and confused too. Anyone who is respecting the necessary precautions is okay in my book. Be well guys.
I'm with you IanD, as a mere Type 2, it scares the cr@p out of me but I keep reading. Stay well guys (and girls), it will pass.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Don't know if this helps but I'm running a graph since 17Mar2020 adjusted for only 80% of the population being exposed ie the at risk group being very careful.
Not making any predictions but it's just something to do.
It's matching the figures to date more or less. Obviously some old people are getting ill but the nursing homes must be very worrying for anyone with family in that situation.
It's stressful at the best of times.
The moral of the story being if you are careful you'll be alright.
On shopping we shop as seldom as possible, face mask gloves, gel and wipes.
Unload the car and leave the shopping in the hall for three days except for stuff that has to be put in the fridge/freezer which we use wipes on.
We have/are changing/improving our methods all the time.
It's difficult to be perfect but maintaining concentration is the biggest problem I find, very easy to switch off but practice is improving that.
My brother was a diabetic and the only advice I could give you and particularly now is don't cheat.
If you don't know what I mean then you are not cheating, if you do then stop. It will only be for a short while and who knows you might continue.
Obviously if you smoke (this applies to anyone) cut back or stop.
On RTB's advice I've gone from gentle exercise to walking a bit quicker especially when I realised I could only manage a walk on the my son's abandoned treadmill.
Stay safe everyone, don't do anything foolish and up the cardiovascular effort.
Question, anyone know why less women are testing +ve.
Are they just more symptomatic.
Have they better immune systems.
Is Oestrogen better than Testerone.
Are G and Ts better than Beer.
Any research available on this.

Know I'm a broke record on this but I seriously think we are very near the point when we need to do a random sample of testing.
It may well already have been done and perhaps the results are best not published but the people making the decisions need that information.

Finally Leo, Simon and the CMO as the public face of our response have handled themselves really well.
The best thing the rest of us can do is follow their instructions as closely as possible and minimize the pressure on our health system, both public and private.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

IanD wrote:
RoboProp

Cheers Ian
Thanks Ian. Still waiting on the results, I think it's going to be negative, based on it was the first day I was feeling better. Not sure if that would result in a positive test. My wife and gym partner are doing well too thankfully.
Please be safe out there, Ian. I'm looking forward to bringing the RoboTots to their first Leinster game, granted they'll be more impressed with your flag than the match.

All the best,

Matt
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

If anyone on here is afraid to go out and needs groceries delivered, do not hesitate drop me a DM. I'd be happy to help.
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Oldschool wrote:Don't know if this helps but I'm running a graph since 17Mar2020 adjusted for only 80% of the population being exposed ie the at risk group being very careful.
Not making any predictions but it's just something to do.
It's matching the figures to date more or less. Obviously some old people are getting ill but the nursing homes must be very worrying for anyone with family in that situation.
It's stressful at the best of times.
The moral of the story being if you are careful you'll be alright.
On shopping we shop as seldom as possible, face mask gloves, gel and wipes.
Unload the car and leave the shopping in the hall for three days except for stuff that has to be put in the fridge/freezer which we use wipes on.
We have/are changing/improving our methods all the time.
It's difficult to be perfect but maintaining concentration is the biggest problem I find, very easy to switch off but practice is improving that.
My brother was a diabetic and the only advice I could give you and particularly now is don't cheat.
If you don't know what I mean then you are not cheating, if you do then stop. It will only be for a short while and who knows you might continue.
Obviously if you smoke (this applies to anyone) cut back or stop.
On RTB's advice I've gone from gentle exercise to walking a bit quicker especially when I realised I could only manage a walk on the my son's abandoned treadmill.
Stay safe everyone, don't do anything foolish and up the cardiovascular effort.
Question, anyone know why less women are testing +ve.
Are they just more symptomatic.
Have they better immune systems.
Is Oestrogen better than Testerone.
Are G and Ts better than Beer.
Any research available on this.

Know I'm a broke record on this but I seriously think we are very near the point when we need to do a random sample of testing.
It may well already have been done and perhaps the results are best not published but the people making the decisions need that information.

Finally Leo, Simon and the CMO as the public face of our response have handled themselves really well.
The best thing the rest of us can do is follow their instructions as closely as possible and minimize the pressure on our health system, both public and private.
On more men vs women testing positive, ive no idea. But I’ve done a vox pop with mates and coworkers and in almost all cases it’s the gentleman of the house running errands to shops etc...

There does seem to be a correlation between blood type and being susceptible to the illness https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... oronavirus
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The Chinese, Japanese and French doctors have always been convinced that Type O are less prone to the new viruses. The Chinese in particular have a statistical breakdown from the SARS epidemic. However, no country have given a purely scientific reasons other that "an inherently stronger immune system" among Type O blood groups.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Based on the acknowledged level of testing of 5.000 per diem, the vast majority based on GP assessment or of HSE personnel, a detection rate of positives of c. 200 per diem is a very positive sign i.e. 4% positive detections.

If we can get to Wednesday with that sort of % positives, the National Emergency Committee should be well pleased with their efforts and the effect of the public co-operation. On that basis we could experience daily growth of c. 8% per diem in total numbers of Covid 19 - about 3,500 by Wednesday evening. If that trend was borne out, we could be looking at reduction in daily numbers by next Sunday night from a high of about 400 per diem by next Friday.

Our treatment of the patients in ICU facilities appears to be superb. 90 at present with double that capacity available, but deaths still at ten per diem. Hopefully that rate will continue and that infection rates of HSE personnel starts to fall soon.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Based on the acknowledged level of testing of 5.000 per diem, the vast majority based on GP assessment or of HSE personnel, a detection rate of positives of c. 200 per diem is a very positive sign i.e. 4% positive detections.

If we can get to Wednesday with that sort of % positives, the National Emergency Committee should be well pleased with their efforts and the effect of the public co-operation. On that basis we could experience daily growth of c. 8% per diem in total numbers of Covid 19 - about 3,500 by Wednesday evening. If that trend was borne out, we could be looking at reduction in daily numbers by next Sunday night from a high of about 400 per diem by next Friday.

Our treatment of the patients in ICU facilities appears to be superb. 90 at present with double that capacity available, but deaths still at ten per diem. Hopefully that rate will continue and that infection rates of HSE personnel starts to fall soon.
I’m in the wait and see category, it feels like there’s probably way more out there in terms of positive cases, but we just can’t find them for whatever reason. However the numbers do appear the be stable so here’s hoping with fingers and toes crossed
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Presumably the private Nursing Home operators have to pay for their PPE and Oxygen requests. It has been reputed to be a very profitable area of business (albeit based on large UK plcs) and have strong balance sheets. Plenty of capacity for the wealthy owners to put their hands in their pockets.