religious services

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

As far as I know the only thing on GF is the stations.
Irish solution I think, an enforced Church Holiday, and the focking church takes a holiday! :roll:
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
dingbat
Mullet

Post by dingbat »

harryp wrote:As far as I know the only thing on GF is the stations.
Irish solution I think, an enforced Church Holiday, and the focking church takes a holiday! :roll:
You're bang on there I think.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

As far as I know the only thing on GF is the stations
I'm 100% certain there is a service at 3pm as well as the stations
Last edited by thecoolfreak on April 12th, 2006, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

thecoolfreak wrote:
I'm 100% certain there is a service at 3pm.
Any volunteers to prove this?
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

thecoolfreak wrote:
I'm 100% certain there is a service at 3pm.
there is - it's the whole shebang with the solemn music, incense and the works.

The gig at 12noon is just a service marking the start of His time on the Cross, poor divil.

Guys, there is DEFFO something on at 7 in the evening. I can remember trying to get out of the yoke at 3pm and using attendance at the much more easy - going 7pm gig as an excuse.

Come on - given the profile of the average Ladyboy supporter, most of us went to Catholic-run schools! SOMEBODY must have paid attention during R.E. class! :D
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

it's the whole shebang with the solemn music, incense and the works
Exactly, thats it
RobbieRockBoy
Enlightened

Post by RobbieRockBoy »

Stations followed by Adoration of the cross... if my memory is correct..
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

RobbieRockBoy wrote:Stations followed by Adoration of the cross... if my memory is correct..
yay! That's the thing. Adoration of the Cross!
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Adoration of the cross
thats the word i was looking for. Thats the what the service at 3 is called
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

thecoolfreak wrote:
Adoration of the cross
thats the word i was looking for. Thats the what the service at 3 is called
Are you sure? Is that not the Solemn something or other?
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Are you sure? Is that not the Solemn something or other?
Well you go up and kiss the cross during it, so i think thats the word
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

*smug swotty grin* 8)

There are a variety of services of worship for Good Friday, all aimed at allowing worshippers to experience some sense of the pain, humiliation, and ending in the journey to the cross. The traditional Catholic service for Good Friday was held in mid-afternoon to correspond to the final words of Jesus from the cross (around 3 PM, Matt 27:46-50). However, modern schedules have led many churches to move the service to the evening to allow more people to participate. Usually, a Good Friday service is a series of Scripture readings, a short homily, and a time of meditation and prayer. One traditional use of Scripture is to base the homily or devotional on the Seven Last Words of Jesus as recorded in the Gospel traditions.

Father, forgive them . . . (Luke 23:34)
This day you will be with me in paradise (Luke 23:43)
Woman, behold your son . . .(John 19:26-27)
My God, my God . . . (Matthew 27:46, Mark 15:34)
I thirst. (John 19:28)
It is finished! (John 19:30)
Father into your hands . . . (Luke 23:46)

Some churches use the Stations of the Cross as part of the Good Friday Service. This service uses paintings or banners to represent various scenes from Jesus’ betrayal, arrest, trial, and death, and the worshippers move to the various stations to sing hymns or pray as the story is told . There is a great variety in how this service is conducted, and various traditions use different numbers of stations to tell the story (see The Fourteen Stations of the Cross).

Another common service for Good Friday is Tenebrae (Latin for "shadows" or "darkness"). Sometimes this term is applied generally to all church services on the last three days of Holy week. More specifically, however, it is used of the Service of Darkness or Service of Shadows, usually held in the evening of Good Friday. Again, there are varieties of this service, but it is usually characterized by a series of Scripture readings and meditation done in stages while lights and/or candles are gradually extinguished to symbolize the growing darkness not only of Jesus’ death but of hopelessness in the world without God. The service ends in darkness, sometimes with a final candle, the Christ candle, carried out of the sanctuary, symbolizing the death of Jesus. Often the service concludes with a loud noise symbolizing the closing of Jesus’ tomb (see The Empty Tomb). The worshippers then leave in silence to wait.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

ckav wrote:*smug swotty grin* 8)

There are a variety of services of worship for Good Friday, all aimed at allowing worshippers to experience some sense of the pain, humiliation, and ending in the journey to the cross. The traditional Catholic service for Good Friday was held in mid-afternoon to correspond to the final words of Jesus from the cross (around 3 PM, Matt 27:46-50). However, modern schedules have led many churches to move the service to the evening to allow more people to participate. Usually, a Good Friday service is a series of Scripture readings, a short homily, and a time of meditation and prayer. One traditional use of Scripture is to base the homily or devotional on the Seven Last Words of Jesus as recorded in the Gospel traditions.

Father, forgive them . . . (Luke 23:34)
This day you will be with me in paradise (Luke 23:43)
Woman, behold your son . . .(John 19:26-27)
My God, my God . . . (Matthew 27:46, Mark 15:34)
I thirst. (John 19:28)
It is finished! (John 19:30)
Father into your hands . . . (Luke 23:46)

Some churches use the Stations of the Cross as part of the Good Friday Service. This service uses paintings or banners to represent various scenes from Jesus’ betrayal, arrest, trial, and death, and the worshippers move to the various stations to sing hymns or pray as the story is told . There is a great variety in how this service is conducted, and various traditions use different numbers of stations to tell the story (see The Fourteen Stations of the Cross).

Another common service for Good Friday is Tenebrae (Latin for "shadows" or "darkness"). Sometimes this term is applied generally to all church services on the last three days of Holy week. More specifically, however, it is used of the Service of Darkness or Service of Shadows, usually held in the evening of Good Friday. Again, there are varieties of this service, but it is usually characterized by a series of Scripture readings and meditation done in stages while lights and/or candles are gradually extinguished to symbolize the growing darkness not only of Jesus’ death but of hopelessness in the world without God. The service ends in darkness, sometimes with a final candle, the Christ candle, carried out of the sanctuary, symbolizing the death of Jesus. Often the service concludes with a loud noise symbolizing the closing of Jesus’ tomb (see The Empty Tomb). The worshippers then leave in silence to wait.
This is much more like it. Who says we don't know how to enjoy ourselves.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

ckav wrote: Another common service for Good Friday is Tenebrae (Latin for "shadows" or "darkness"). Sometimes this term is applied generally to all church services on the last three days of Holy week. More specifically, however, it is used of the Service of Darkness or Service of Shadows, usually held in the evening of Good Friday. Again, there are varieties of this service, but it is usually characterized by a series of Scripture readings and meditation done in stages while lights and/or candles are gradually extinguished to symbolize the growing darkness not only of Jesus’ death but of hopelessness in the world without God. The service ends in darkness, sometimes with a final candle, the Christ candle, carried out of the sanctuary, symbolizing the death of Jesus. Often the service concludes with a loud noise symbolizing the closing of Jesus’ tomb (see The Empty Tomb). The worshippers then leave in silence to wait.
HEATHEN! That sounds like something the Tridentine crowd do...... you'll burn in hell if you go to that! :P
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

Leinsterman wrote:
ckav wrote: Another common service for Good Friday is Tenebrae (Latin for "shadows" or "darkness"). Sometimes this term is applied generally to all church services on the last three days of Holy week. More specifically, however, it is used of the Service of Darkness or Service of Shadows, usually held in the evening of Good Friday. Again, there are varieties of this service, but it is usually characterized by a series of Scripture readings and meditation done in stages while lights and/or candles are gradually extinguished to symbolize the growing darkness not only of Jesus’ death but of hopelessness in the world without God. The service ends in darkness, sometimes with a final candle, the Christ candle, carried out of the sanctuary, symbolizing the death of Jesus. Often the service concludes with a loud noise symbolizing the closing of Jesus’ tomb (see The Empty Tomb). The worshippers then leave in silence to wait.
No, it's definitely main-stream bog standard Mick stuff.

HEATHEN! That sounds like something the Tridentine crowd do...... you'll burn in hell if you go to that! :P
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Seeing that the old dear is as about a devout a "Kafflik" as one can get, I'll have to ask her about that one. I have absolutely no recollection of her ever attending something like that! :shock:
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

Leinsterman wrote:Seeing that the old dear is as about a devout a "Kafflik" as one can get, I'll have to ask her about that one. I have absolutely no recollection of her ever attending something like that! :shock:
It deffo happened. Used to happen in the Church of the Holy Family, Kill o'the Grange! At least, that's where I used be brought..
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Kill o the Grange? Curioser and curioser..... deffo need to call "de mammy" :shock: