Quoting Posts

If you have feedback about the site or the forum, leave it here

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Quoting Posts

Post by Dave Cahill »

I can still see them. ISP issue perhaps?
I have Bumbleflex
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Dave Cahill wrote:I can still see them. ISP issue perhaps?
Nope, they're 404ing, so it's a server-side issue. Yours are probably cached (assuming you're using the LF theme). Caching can be anywhere (from your browser to your ISP).
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

meinster wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:I can still see them. ISP issue perhaps?
Nope, they're 404ing, so it's a server-side issue. Yours are probably cached (assuming you're using the LF theme). Caching can be anywhere (from your browser to your ISP).
Limecat ate them, just to keep himself going till lunchtime. They are back now so he must have got some while he went to the shops for cat food.
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

Seriously people! get it together. It is NOT really THAT DIFFICULT! :evil:
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

Hickiefan wrote:
Hickiefan wrote:Seriously people! get it together. It is NOT really THAT DIFFICULT! :evil:
[/quote]

+1
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Can we please just make the limit 1 quote? There's no need to have it at 3 imo, and it'll make things less messy.
Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

Hickiefan wrote:Seriously people! get it together. It is NOT really THAT DIFFICULT! :evil:
I'm thinking thsis was mis directed anger...or a seriously delayed reaction! :lol:
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk
Eve
Mullet Moderator

Post by Eve »

Danthefan wrote:Can we please just make the limit 1 quote? There's no need to have it at 3 imo, and it'll make things less messy.
I think that might make it worse. The problem happens when people reach the limit and try to edit a workaround. If we set it to 1 that'll just happen more often

edit: I'm leaning toward removing the limit altogether
Summer is ready when you are

Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Eve wrote:I think that might make it worse. The problem happens when people reach the limit and try to edit a workaround. If we set it to 1 that'll just happen more often

You must be joking. There would be 100s of nested quotes in some cases.

I'm all for making the limit one.
All folk have to do is ensure there's a closing tag for the opening one and that they have the correct users name of who they are quoting. Simples.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Why not leave it as it is, but restrict anyone who makes a bollix of it to the test area for 24 hours
I have Bumbleflex
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Avenger wrote:
Eve wrote:I think that might make it worse. The problem happens when people reach the limit and try to edit a workaround. If we set it to 1 that'll just happen more often

You must be joking. There would be 100s of nested quotes in some cases.

I'm all for making the limit one.
All folk have to do is ensure there's a closing tag for the opening one and that they have the correct users name of who they are quoting. Simples.
And so, the category of ex-mod was created...
A proud Winsome Fluter
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Dave Cahill wrote:Why not leave it as it is, but restrict anyone who makes a bollix of it to the test area for 24 hours
A bit Facist, but I like it :)
Some Poor Spa wrote: The problem is, people who read this thread already know how to use quotes, whereas people who don't know or can't be bothered, won't waste their time on it (This thread)
See?
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

Dave Cahill wrote:Why not leave it as it is, but restrict anyone who makes a bollix of it to the test area for 24 hours
I like it! :lol:
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Obviously nothing will be done but the quoting system is still making the board nigh on unreadable. For example:

Well it's such an unlikely story: Two Dutch South African's racially abuse a black guy, who could concoct such a fanciful tail?

The fact that there was no serious scuffle, on the behalf of Mujati and the accused, for him to put it out of his own free will the next day, not as a defence, but just because he was pissed off. IT DOESN'T LOOK GOOD.[/quote]

The word TAIL as you meant to use it is more correctly spelt TALE. So considering the fact that basic english language spelling is outside of your realm of knowledge I would wonder what you know about South Africans .[/quote]

He can't spell correctly in context and you can't use technology (double post!). Would you say Isaacs is due to inability and yours is just a mistake or how do you explain it??[/quote]

Clearly I am a total idiot to have double posted and that completely removes my right to think that someone jumping to quick conclusions based on lazy incorrect national stereotypes is actually a racist themselves and just doesn't realise it.

Spell correctly in context!!!! Reminds me of Les Dawson's joke about playing the right notes in the wrong order.

PS; I am afraid I can't use the quote thing correctly either
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Have had problems with the site yesterday & today - very slow to non responsive. Is it just me?
Also, for the past while i have noticed that when i click on submit (one click i swear) a lot of the time the post appears at least twice :?
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Very Slow
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Scott wrote:Have had problems with the site yesterday & today - very slow to non responsive. Is it just me?
Also, for the past while i have noticed that when i click on submit (one click i swear) a lot of the time the post appears at least twice :?
You may "think" you only click once. :wink:
The site has deteriorated significantly over the past few weeks/month. Limecat must be hosting it on his sandwich toaster. Perhaps it's getting a lot of use before Christmas. (the sandwich toaster) and can't cope. But especially uploads (posts) are getting worse by the day.

Dodgey hard disk in the sandwich toaster coupled with asymmetric broadband? The disks are slower to write than read because one of the slices of toast in the toast raid has failed. :)

For a service that I pay almost €0.00 per month for, it's just not good enough.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:
Scott wrote:Have had problems with the site yesterday & today - very slow to non responsive. Is it just me?
You may "think" you only click once. :wink:
The site has deteriorated significantly over the past few weeks/month. Limecat must be hosting it on his sandwich toaster. Perhaps it's getting a lot of use before Christmas. (the sandwich toaster) and can't cope. But especially uploads (posts) are getting worse by the day.

Dodgey hard disk in the sandwich toaster coupled with asymmetric broadband? The disks are slower to write than read because one of the slices of toast in the toast raid has failed. :)

For a service that I pay almost €0.00 per month for, it's just not good enough.
Are you recommending a change of sandwich or an upgrade of the toaster?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Peg Leg wrote: Are you recommending a change of sandwich or an upgrade of the toaster?
I think a new platter is needed.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Do we need a new server? Don't know if this has been mooted, but fundraisers are always a possibility.