Quoting Posts

If you have feedback about the site or the forum, leave it here

Moderator: moderators

Quoting Posts

Postby Eve » June 2nd, 2008, 10:12 pm

Oscar wrote:And what's with the "You may only embed 3 quotes" business?


Stops people endlessly quoting through the thread and making other people's brains bleed
Summer is ready when you are

Image
User avatar
Eve
Mullet Moderator
 
Posts: 5085
Joined: January 25th, 2006, 1:06 pm

Re: Leicester rugby club hits sponsorship jackpot

Postby Danthefan » June 2nd, 2008, 10:17 pm

Eve wrote:
Oscar wrote:And what's with the "You may only embed 3 quotes" business?


Stops people endlessly quoting through the thread and making other people's brains bleed


But now unclosed quote tags and not being immediately sure who's written what it making our brains bleed. :(
User avatar
Danthefan
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8073
Joined: April 7th, 2006, 12:09 pm
Location: Malahide

Re: Leicester rugby club hits sponsorship jackpot

Postby Eve » June 2nd, 2008, 10:25 pm

Danthefan wrote:
Eve wrote:
Oscar wrote:And what's with the "You may only embed 3 quotes" business?


Stops people endlessly quoting through the thread and making other people's brains bleed


But now unclosed quote tags and not being immediately sure who's written what it making our brains bleed. :(


Not sure there's much we can do about that - except maybe run a posting tutorial. Perhaps people should prove they've mastered the basics in the test forum before they're let loose on the rest of the board :lol:
Summer is ready when you are

Image
User avatar
Eve
Mullet Moderator
 
Posts: 5085
Joined: January 25th, 2006, 1:06 pm

Re: Leicester rugby club hits sponsorship jackpot

Postby Oscar » June 2nd, 2008, 10:34 pm

Eve wrote:
Danthefan wrote:
Eve wrote:
Stops people endlessly quoting through the thread and making other people's brains bleed


But now unclosed quote tags and not being immediately sure who's written what it making our brains bleed. :(


Not sure there's much we can do about that - except maybe run a posting tutorial. Perhaps people should prove they've mastered the basics in the test forum before they're let loose on the rest of the board :lol:



If it's a choice between too many quotes, and unclosed quote tags, I'd pick the former every time. i'm no web-designer, but there must be a way of setting the forum to delete the 4th quote itself as the post is created, mustn't there?

Anyway, I'm very happy with my Bank of Ireland Leinster jersey, and I hope Canterbury keep making our jerseys for many years to come.
Oscar
Mullet
 
Posts: 1763
Joined: February 21st, 2006, 11:59 pm

Re: Leicester rugby club hits sponsorship jackpot

Postby Danthefan » June 3rd, 2008, 7:55 pm

To continue the quotes discussion, the quote function on boards.ie does not seem to nest quotes at all. When you quote a message it quotes that message only and will not quote anything quoted in that message (if you get me). I've no idea how hard that would be to do but it's a good system.
User avatar
Danthefan
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8073
Joined: April 7th, 2006, 12:09 pm
Location: Malahide

Re: Leicester rugby club hits sponsorship jackpot

Postby RuggieBear » June 4th, 2008, 8:07 am

Danthefan wrote:To continue the quotes discussion, the quote function on boards.ie does not seem to nest quotes at all. When you quote a message it quotes that message only and will not quote anything quoted in that message (if you get me). I've no idea how hard that would be to do but it's a good system.

boards.ie uses vBulletin while Lf.com uses phpBB...not sure if phpBB allows you to modify the quotes in the admin cp but i'm sure at worst there is a hack/mod to allow you to do it.
Image
Image
RuggieBear
Bookworm
 
Posts: 221
Joined: April 4th, 2006, 3:46 pm
Location: Dublin 4

temp

Postby Danthefan » June 4th, 2008, 9:25 am

Case in point here:

What is the story with this sites obsession with discussing the ramifications of things that have not yet happened... Danthefan last week - Munster will win the HEC because Heymans has a shocker but no one will be allowed to point this out. Post above - so you think Carter and some of the NZ back-row will expose O' Gara's defense? Fair enough. But then this stuff about the reaction against the Leinster players for something that has not yet happened... well it's just bizarre. Particularly, in this instance, because ROG's defense was exposed the last time he was in NZ and nobody (correctly) pointed the finger at our 12 on the day - Leisnter's Gordon D'arcy.

Can the moderators please stop people turning threads into Munster v Leinster.[/quote]
This is a Munster Messageboard isn't??????????????????[/quote]


i think sin a bhfuil makes a very valid point.. lads whats the obsession with munster and fantastic conspiracies?
User avatar
Danthefan
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8073
Joined: April 7th, 2006, 12:09 pm
Location: Malahide

Re: Leicester rugby club hits sponsorship jackpot

Postby limecat » June 4th, 2008, 9:34 am

RuggieBear wrote:
Danthefan wrote:To continue the quotes discussion, the quote function on boards.ie does not seem to nest quotes at all. When you quote a message it quotes that message only and will not quote anything quoted in that message (if you get me). I've no idea how hard that would be to do but it's a good system.

boards.ie uses vBulletin while Lf.com uses phpBB...not sure if phpBB allows you to modify the quotes in the admin cp but i'm sure at worst there is a hack/mod to allow you to do it.


phpBB 3 allows me to specify the maximum number of quoted posts allowed, but puts the responsibililty on the poster to make sure that they don't exceed that number.

Also, because phpBB 3 is still fairly new, there are very few hacks out there for anything at all and I'm not sure that I could be bothered to hack the code myslef.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on twitter.

Image
User avatar
limecat
Lazy totalitarian
 
Posts: 5097
Joined: February 17th, 2005, 11:25 pm
Location: a strangely isolated place

Re: Leicester rugby club hits sponsorship jackpot

Postby Danthefan » June 4th, 2008, 9:49 am

limecat wrote:
...puts the responsibililty on the poster....



There's your problem!
User avatar
Danthefan
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8073
Joined: April 7th, 2006, 12:09 pm
Location: Malahide

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby RuggieBear » June 4th, 2008, 8:14 pm

ah grand... TBH i'm more used to the one quote box from Boards but i see the usefulness of the quote upon quote system utilised here
Image
Image
RuggieBear
Bookworm
 
Posts: 221
Joined: April 4th, 2006, 3:46 pm
Location: Dublin 4

Re: temp

Postby Eve » June 4th, 2008, 9:42 pm

Danthefan wrote:Case in point here:

What is the story with this sites obsession with discussing the ramifications of things that have not yet happened... Danthefan last week - Munster will win the HEC because Heymans has a shocker but no one will be allowed to point this out. Post above - so you think Carter and some of the NZ back-row will expose O' Gara's defense? Fair enough. But then this stuff about the reaction against the Leinster players for something that has not yet happened... well it's just bizarre. Particularly, in this instance, because ROG's defense was exposed the last time he was in NZ and nobody (correctly) pointed the finger at our 12 on the day - Leisnter's Gordon D'arcy.

Can the moderators please stop people turning threads into Munster v Leinster.[/quote
This is a Munster Messageboard isn't??????????????????[/quote


i think sin a bhfuil makes a very valid point.. lads whats the obsession with munster and fantastic conspiracies?


:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ok - you've made your point :lol:

We'll take a look at this again. I don't think we should remove the quote limit altogether (do you not remember Zulu and D4's 'conversations' last year) but perhaps we could increase the number of quotes allowed so that brain bleed inducing moments such as that above happen less frequently.....
Summer is ready when you are

Image
User avatar
Eve
Mullet Moderator
 
Posts: 5085
Joined: January 25th, 2006, 1:06 pm

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby meinster » June 5th, 2008, 12:30 am

It's a threaded forum, so surely a given thread is contextual enough to realise the flow of the conversation? If so, then you shouldn't need to quote more than 1 person. Why? Because you're either replying directly to one opinion/point (using 'quote' for targeted context), or more generally to the thread (with no quote). If there's a running theme through the thread, then those reading the thread will be aware of it, so there should be no need to reply to A who was replying to B (as that, by definition has now evolved in the thread context, rather than an individual point being addressed). Etiquette on BBS (them were the days), extremely busy forums and mailing lists (where anyone bothers to define the etiquette) all seem to follow that principle.
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
User avatar
meinster
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: June 4th, 2006, 1:21 pm
Location: Meinster, mainly

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby Eve » June 5th, 2008, 8:35 am

We thought 3 would be plenty but it's become obvious it isn't.......
Summer is ready when you are

Image
User avatar
Eve
Mullet Moderator
 
Posts: 5085
Joined: January 25th, 2006, 1:06 pm

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby meinster » June 5th, 2008, 5:14 pm

Well, one quick fix that could delay the etiquette debate would be to add a newline after each opening and closing tag (which should be easily done).. that way, it's much harder to screw nested quotes up. Still possible, no doubt, but less likely now, at least.
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
User avatar
meinster
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: June 4th, 2006, 1:21 pm
Location: Meinster, mainly

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby Danthefan » December 2nd, 2008, 4:11 pm

I don't mean to be a pain in the ass I know you guys have better things to do with your time but is this being looked at again at all? It's happenening so often now, you start reading something to find [/quote] at the end of the sentance.
User avatar
Danthefan
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8073
Joined: April 7th, 2006, 12:09 pm
Location: Malahide

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby Eve » December 2nd, 2008, 10:54 pm

Danthefan wrote:I don't mean to be a pain in the ass I know you guys have better things to do with your time but is this being looked at again at all? It's happenening so often now, you start reading something to find "/quote" at the end of the sentance.


It's fairly annoying alright but we need to get a balance between not having ridiculous amounts of quotes which people have done in the past (and which is particularly annoying on Blackberrys and such like I'm told) and forcing people to edit multiple quotes which is causing the errors. I may try and up the limit for a while and see how we get on.......
Summer is ready when you are

Image
User avatar
Eve
Mullet Moderator
 
Posts: 5085
Joined: January 25th, 2006, 1:06 pm

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby Danthefan » December 3rd, 2008, 10:05 am

Eve wrote:
Danthefan wrote:I don't mean to be a pain in the ass I know you guys have better things to do with your time but is this being looked at again at all? It's happenening so often now, you start reading something to find "/quote" at the end of the sentance.


It's fairly annoying alright but we need to get a balance between not having ridiculous amounts of quotes which people have done in the past (and which is particularly annoying on Blackberrys and such like I'm told) and forcing people to edit multiple quotes which is causing the errors. I may try and up the limit for a while and see how we get on.......


Even upping it to 4 quotes (on a trial basis) would help a lot I reckon.
User avatar
Danthefan
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8073
Joined: April 7th, 2006, 12:09 pm
Location: Malahide

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby Broken Wing » December 3rd, 2008, 10:50 am

I'd be more in favour of going the other way and limiting the size and number of quotes. I know it's a minor complaint but when reading the boards on a balckberry (rather than have them appear on the internet log in work) it's a pain when someone quotes an entire lengthy post just to applaud or say "exactly" or even address just one point in the post.

Of course intelligent quoting from intelligent users would remove the problem and would also remove the multiple embedded quotes issue.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Broken Wing
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 5144
Joined: April 3rd, 2006, 11:06 am
Location: South Stand, Baby!

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby Grumpy Old Man » December 3rd, 2008, 10:57 am

Broken Wing wrote:
Of course intelligent quoting from intelligent users would remove the problem and would also remove the multiple embedded quotes issue.


Exactly :clap: :clap: :clap:
A proud Winsome Fluter
User avatar
Grumpy Old Man
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 6521
Joined: February 22nd, 2006, 4:22 pm
Location: Home for the Slightly Bewildered

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby sarah_lennon » December 3rd, 2008, 11:03 am

Certainly it would help if people didn't quote entire articles and selected the parts they wished to reference. If anyone's unsure of how to do it try it out in the test area
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
User avatar
sarah_lennon
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 15361
Joined: April 19th, 2006, 4:14 pm

Next

Return to Feedback

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests