Quoting Posts

If you have feedback about the site or the forum, leave it here

Moderator: moderators

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby Avenger » December 3rd, 2008, 11:22 am

Danthefan wrote:Even upping it to 4 quotes (on a trial basis) would help a lot I reckon.


I don't agree. Just quote from the post you wish to reply to and don't include any nested quotes. If people want to look at what was said previously they can refer to the quoted post.

If folks are too lazy to edit their posts then don't give them the opportunity to screw it up :twisted:
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
User avatar
Avenger
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3344
Joined: February 9th, 2006, 4:57 pm
Location: lost in thought; it's unfamiliar territory...

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby meinster » December 3rd, 2008, 12:41 pm

Avenger wrote:If people want to look at what was said previously they can refer to the quoted post.


Agreed, as per my earlier post. If there is a limit, it should be 1!
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
User avatar
meinster
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: June 4th, 2006, 1:21 pm
Location: Meinster, mainly

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby Danthefan » December 3rd, 2008, 8:43 pm

Avenger wrote:
Danthefan wrote:Even upping it to 4 quotes (on a trial basis) would help a lot I reckon.


I don't agree. Just quote from the post you wish to reply to and don't include any nested quotes. If people want to look at what was said previously they can refer to the quoted post.

If folks are too lazy to edit their posts then don't give them the opportunity to screw it up :twisted:


Like the have it on boards.ie? That would be ideal imo. I also agree that quoting an etire article then saying "good article" or something is very annoying.

And what % of people are reading the site on a Blackberry?
User avatar
Danthefan
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8073
Joined: April 7th, 2006, 12:09 pm
Location: Malahide

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby Eve » December 3rd, 2008, 8:47 pm

meinster wrote:Agreed, as per my earlier post. If there is a limit, it should be 1!


However, as Limer said - we specify how many quotes are allowed and then the user has to edit accordingly. If we said 1 then everytime someone quoted a post which had already quoted another post they would be prompted to edit and the problem of people editing incorrectly would be greatly increased. I have looked for a way to limit the size of quotes and haven't found one. I've increased the number of allowed quotes to 5. Let's give it a few days and see how it goes...

Edit: Dan you've posted since about boards.ie, different software - we can't do that (that I can see)
Summer is ready when you are

Image
User avatar
Eve
Mullet Moderator
 
Posts: 5085
Joined: January 25th, 2006, 1:06 pm

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby Avenger » December 4th, 2008, 12:04 am

Eve wrote:If we said 1 then everytime someone quoted a post which had already quoted another post they would be prompted to edit and the problem of people editing incorrectly would be greatly increased.


But the onus is on the user to correctly edit their post, which is surely the way to go. If the software you are using prohibits you from only including the quoted posts content and not exclude any quotes within then I can understand that you are slightly limited in your policy here but I do think allowing 5 nested quotes is only going to add to the problem.

IMO it would make a better user experience if there was only one quote per post and its then up to the poster to go and edit his/her post accordingly. However that is only one opinion and based on the number of posts with multiple quotes, I'm in the minority :(
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
User avatar
Avenger
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3344
Joined: February 9th, 2006, 4:57 pm
Location: lost in thought; it's unfamiliar territory...

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby Eve » December 4th, 2008, 9:23 pm

Avenger wrote:But the onus is on the user to correctly edit their post, which is surely the way to go.


The problem is that people aren't editing correctly
Summer is ready when you are

Image
User avatar
Eve
Mullet Moderator
 
Posts: 5085
Joined: January 25th, 2006, 1:06 pm

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby Avenger » December 4th, 2008, 11:30 pm

Eve wrote:
Avenger wrote:But the onus is on the user to correctly edit their post, which is surely the way to go.


The problem is that people aren't editing correctly


BAN THEM :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
User avatar
Avenger
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3344
Joined: February 9th, 2006, 4:57 pm
Location: lost in thought; it's unfamiliar territory...

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby Hickiefan » October 7th, 2009, 9:34 am

What's the deal with this again - it's all over the shop.

People sortyourselvesout!

Please!
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
User avatar
Hickiefan
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8650
Joined: August 21st, 2006, 10:48 am
Location: Behind Leinster all the way

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby Avenger » October 7th, 2009, 9:37 am

Hickiefan wrote:What's the deal with this again - it's all over the shop.

People sortyourselvesout!

Please!


We'll have to organize a quote workshop ;)
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
User avatar
Avenger
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3344
Joined: February 9th, 2006, 4:57 pm
Location: lost in thought; it's unfamiliar territory...

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby Danthefan » December 11th, 2009, 10:59 am

Avenger wrote:
Hickiefan wrote:What's the deal with this again - it's all over the shop.

People sortyourselvesout!

Please!


We'll have to organize a quote workshop ;)


Please do. Seriously.
User avatar
Danthefan
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8073
Joined: April 7th, 2006, 12:09 pm
Location: Malahide

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby Danthefan » April 2nd, 2010, 9:59 am

The quote button seems to have vanished?
User avatar
Danthefan
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8073
Joined: April 7th, 2006, 12:09 pm
Location: Malahide

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby Avenger » April 2nd, 2010, 10:09 am

Danthefan wrote:The quote button seems to have vanished?


I can still see it.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
User avatar
Avenger
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3344
Joined: February 9th, 2006, 4:57 pm
Location: lost in thought; it's unfamiliar territory...

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby Danthefan » April 2nd, 2010, 10:14 am

This is very odd. Turns out the buttons are actually there for me, but seem to be invisible :?
User avatar
Danthefan
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8073
Joined: April 7th, 2006, 12:09 pm
Location: Malahide

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby Avenger » April 2nd, 2010, 10:17 am

Danthefan wrote:This is very odd. Turns out the buttons are actually there for me, but seem to be invisible :?


You must have special privileges. Congratulations.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
User avatar
Avenger
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3344
Joined: February 9th, 2006, 4:57 pm
Location: lost in thought; it's unfamiliar territory...

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby Danthefan » April 2nd, 2010, 10:19 am

Avenger wrote:
Danthefan wrote:This is very odd. Turns out the buttons are actually there for me, but seem to be invisible :?


You must have special privileges. Congratulations.


Can I have my unspecial privileges back please?
User avatar
Danthefan
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8073
Joined: April 7th, 2006, 12:09 pm
Location: Malahide

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby Fitzybobs » April 2nd, 2010, 10:30 am

Danthefan wrote:This is very odd. Turns out the buttons are actually there for me, but seem to be invisible :?



wouldn't believe it, except the it's the same for me :?
User avatar
Fitzybobs
Bookworm
 
Posts: 145
Joined: November 12th, 2009, 11:52 am
Location: Dublin2

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby johng » April 2nd, 2010, 10:33 am

Fitzybobs wrote:
Danthefan wrote:This is very odd. Turns out the buttons are actually there for me, but seem to be invisible :?



wouldn't believe it, except the it's the same for me :?

Bet you are both using the same browser and Style.
You can change the look in your control panel under "MY Board Style"
Might fix it
User avatar
johng
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 16657
Joined: March 23rd, 2009, 11:37 pm
Location: Behind You!!

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby Fitzybobs » April 2nd, 2010, 10:37 am

johng wrote:
Fitzybobs wrote:
Danthefan wrote:This is very odd. Turns out the buttons are actually there for me, but seem to be invisible :?



wouldn't believe it, except the it's the same for me :?

Bet you are both using the same browser and Style.
You can change the look in your control panel under "MY Board Style"
Might fix it



Genius.

Can you do anything about the weather, don't want to get soaked at the match?
User avatar
Fitzybobs
Bookworm
 
Posts: 145
Joined: November 12th, 2009, 11:52 am
Location: Dublin2

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby johng » April 2nd, 2010, 10:39 am

Fitzybobs wrote:
johng wrote:
Fitzybobs wrote:
wouldn't believe it, except the it's the same for me :?

Bet you are both using the same browser and Style.
You can change the look in your control panel under "MY Board Style"
Might fix it



Genius.

Can you do anything about the weather, don't want to get soaked at the match?

Hmmmm! I'll look into it.
User avatar
johng
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 16657
Joined: March 23rd, 2009, 11:37 pm
Location: Behind You!!

Re: Quoting Posts

Postby meinster » April 2nd, 2010, 12:23 pm

Many (all?) the icon_* images for the leinsterfans theme are 404ing ( /styles/leinsterfans/theme/styles/leinsterfans/imageset/en/icon_*).
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
User avatar
meinster
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: June 4th, 2006, 1:21 pm
Location: Meinster, mainly

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest