Problem with the forum today

If you have feedback about the site or the forum, leave it here

Moderator: moderators

Tara
Rhys Ruddock

Problem with the forum today

Post by Tara »

Eve/Limecat

I'm haveing a strange problem with the forum today. When I try to connect to the general forum index I get the following error message:

"Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'mysql.leinsterfans.com' (4) in /home/.marmelade/limecat/forum.leinsterfans.com/db/mysql4.php on line 48
Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/.marmelade/limecat/forum.leinsterfans.com/db/mysql4.php on line 330
Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/.marmelade/limecat/forum.leinsterfans.com/db/mysql4.php on line 331phpBB : Critical Error
Could not connect to the database"

I can get into individual sections and threads using the drop down "select a forum" box, but I can't get the main index without logging out.
"What is immediately striking is that as soon as an oval ball appears in a group of men there's an extraordinary release of heat." Robert Roy
D4 Dorce
Mullet

Post by D4 Dorce »

Also why was the site down for a couple of hours earlier today? I couldn't connect to it for quite a while...
IRISH BY BIRTH, LEINSTER BY THE GRACE OF B'OD

Leinster Magner's League Champions 07/08!
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Re: Problem with the forum today

Post by Slipper1 »

Tara wrote:Eve/Limecat

I'm haveing a strange problem with the forum today. When I try to connect to the general forum index I get the following error message:

"Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'mysql.leinsterfans.com' (4) in /home/.marmelade/limecat/forum.leinsterfans.com/db/mysql4.php on line 48
Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/.marmelade/limecat/forum.leinsterfans.com/db/mysql4.php on line 330
Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/.marmelade/limecat/forum.leinsterfans.com/db/mysql4.php on line 331phpBB : Critical Error
Could not connect to the database"

I can get into individual sections and threads using the drop down "select a forum" box, but I can't get the main index without logging out.
I got this on the homepage just now.

I also had issues logging on earlier today.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Tara
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Tara »

What's even odder is that I only get the error messages if I am logged in. If I "lurk" as a "guest" (easier way to browse on the blackberry unless you have something to post), I can get the index page no problem.
"What is immediately striking is that as soon as an oval ball appears in a group of men there's an extraordinary release of heat." Robert Roy
Tara
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Tara »

And now it's working absolutely fine. Maybe I just imagined it all.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

I couldn't access the forum/website at all earlier today. You weren't imagining anything Tara. The forum has been much slower and inaccessible ever since the server change recently for whatever reason.

Any idea what the problem is Limey?
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

I couldn't access it for a couple of hours late morning/early afternoon :?
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Leinsterman wrote:I couldn't access the forum/website at all earlier today. You weren't imagining anything Tara. The forum has been much slower and inaccessible ever since the server change recently for whatever reason.

Any idea what the problem is Limey?
The outage was caused the hosting company undertaking essential maintenance, which required a total power outage in their data centre. The reason that it affected us so much is that they're on the west coast of the US, so their undertaking such work on Saturday night /Sunday morning, means that for us it's Sunday morning / afternoon :(

Some of the general problems / slowness were caused by server problems. the hosting companys mailservers went down and that put a lot of extra pressure on all of their servers. This happened on Tuesday(all day) and again on Wednesday and Thursday for a short while. Hopefully these are now properly resolved and the general performance should be improved.

I am keeping a close eye on it, but the fact that the hosting is cheap and cheery means that it'll probably continue to be slightly slower than the old host...who ceased to exist and never told anybody :twisted:
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Dreamhost having routing issues as well today (infinite hops, edge timeouts and internal timeouts).
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

meinster wrote:Dreamhost having routing issues as well today (infinite hops, edge timeouts and internal timeouts).
yeah, after the outage yesterday, one of their main routers failed to come back up, so they've been working on trying to fix everything since then.
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

Forum has been driving me MAAADDD the last 30 minutes!!!! :evil: :evil:

When will this problem be fixed?
T.C.B.
Seán Cronin

Post by T.C.B. »

Leinster Zulu wrote:Forum has been driving me MAAADDD the last 30 minutes!!!! :evil: :evil:

When you buy some friends and stop spending EVERY WAKING MOMENT OF YOUR DAY on here!

:roll:

:wink:
"It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eye, then it's just fun you can't see" - James Hetfield
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

Well friend time is in the night, in the day i have nothing else to do! :wink:

Oh and btw, i don't hope you (the mods) don't think i think it's your fault, i know it isn't! 8)
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Leinster Zulu wrote:Forum has been driving me MAAADDD the last 30 minutes!!!! :evil: :evil:

when i start charging you for the privilege of using the forum
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

limecat wrote:

when i start charging you for the privilege of using the forum
And i was nice the message before! I take that back now! :twisted: