Improving the Site & Forum

If you have feedback about the site or the forum, leave it here

Moderator: moderators

limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Improving the Site & Forum

Post by limecat »

Right...there's been a fair amount of comment on the site recently, with people saying what they think is wrong with the site and what they don't like about it.

So, reply on this thread saying:

1. What you don't like / what you think is wrong.
2. How you think it can be improved / fixed.

I'm looking for constructive criticism here, so that I can improve the site for all users.
Last edited by limecat on December 28th, 2007, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
T.C.B.
Seán Cronin

Post by T.C.B. »

My only real issue is the number of posts being deleted for no reason. I've no issue with anything being deleted because it could cause legal issues but there seems to be posts being deleted purely because people either had an argument online or made a tit of themselves.

I just think posts should only be deleted when there's a major issue with them legally or are obviously offensive, racist, etc. not at the behest of a poster who made an arse of themself.
"It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eye, then it's just fun you can't see" - James Hetfield
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

I'm going to make a constructive suggestion/ pose a question. <hold onto your hats everyone>

Is it possible to get a patch for the forum so people can turn off viewing avatars, signatures, pictures, smilies etc so just text appears on the screen?

Also - is an "ignore" option viable?

I'd also echo Digger's suggestion about deletion. People can take arguments to PM if they want. There's no justification for deleting arguments or if people make an idiot of themselves. FFS Ruck is a moderator on Turnipfans and he never deleted his post about the flags.... even though he made an eejit of himself.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Muriel
Seán Cronin

Post by Muriel »

Ditto what TCB and LM said... Deletion is ok if it causes legal problems for the site or for you, but if someone said something in the heat of the arguement and regrets it now either they should edit their post and apologise or leave it.
When I pulled my hamstring, I went to a misogynist. - Brittany (Glee)
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

The constant splitting of threads can get hard to follow. Also a couple of more neutral moderators wouldn’t be a bad idea. Someone like LM, Beer Baron or even that TCB wan up there would be my suggestions and me and Duff obviously. Someone with a different point of view. Also as Duff said some of the stickys are unnecessary. Stuff like the tries, the Jack Wakefield stuff and supporters club are all obviously appropriate but some tags teams 10 page banter or where they are training is nothing to do with Leinster rugby and if it is to be a thread should be in other sports or General chat or just kept to email, I mean how hard can it be to create an email list for your tag team?
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

I have an "ignore" query as well.

When I log on, I use the "view posts since last visit" button to keep up with whats recent - however I have no interest in Eircom League, Liverpool, towns cup etc but these come up in my search as well.

Before anyone suggests, I know I can ignore them, but is it / could it be possible for me to tell my computer to ignore them as well.
Get in the f%~king bag.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

It's a difficult one - because things can be construed as facilitating bullying/harassment. This too could have consequences.
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

If some people want to make suggestions but don't want to post them publicly, send me a PM instead.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Chat room has been mentioned. Does anyone know if this works well on MF.com?
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

sarah_lennon wrote:Chat room has been mentioned. Does anyone know if this works well on MF.com?
Technically not so well, it keeps breaking apparently.

I don't like it in the following sense. The running match commentaries on mf used to be very good, and they were posted in the particular forum. Now they're in the chatroom and they are gone once you shut the window down. I preferred the old way.
I have Bumbleflex
D4 Dorce
Mullet

Post by D4 Dorce »

Can we have a button where you can delete the last post you have just written??
IRISH BY BIRTH, LEINSTER BY THE GRACE OF B'OD

Leinster Magner's League Champions 07/08!
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Leinsterman wrote:I'm going to make a constructive suggestion/ pose a question. <hold onto your hats everyone>

Is it possible to get a patch for the forum so people can turn off viewing avatars, signatures, pictures, smilies etc so just text appears on the screen?

Also - is an "ignore" option viable?

I'd also echo Digger's suggestion about deletion. People can take arguments to PM if they want. There's no justification for deleting arguments or if people make an idiot of themselves. FFS Ruck is a moderator on Turnipfans and he never deleted his post about the flags.... even though he made an eejit of himself.
you can do that with FireFox
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Three suggestions:

MODERATION
Can't say, despite a heated discussion with Limey on this, that the moderation is too heavy handed as has been suggested. Two suggestions (that help in my experience of various fora moderation):

+ Have a dirty big "Recycle Bin" thread to which all posts that would otherwise be deleted are moved to instead. Obviously posts deleted for legal reasons have to be deleted, not moved.
+ Explain the moderation decision. "Moved to the bin because it was personally abusive" or "way off topic, thread split".

Both help with moderation transparency.

BLOCK AVATAR/SIGNATURE
Limey is/was looking in to plugin/modules to allow a user disable all avatars and all signatures. Although, as Darce points out, if you're really troubled by the avatars (like, your boss sits behind your screen), you can easily do this in Firefox and the common AdBlock Plus extension.

OFF TOPICNESS
The other suggestion has nothing at all to do with the forum software or moderators, and that's to ask people stick to the topic. Most interesting threads are ruined by slagging Munster or talking about the social aftermath of a match. I'm not suggesting that either be stopped, just that it belongs in its own thread. I think that has contributed to a lower quality of rugby-related postings.
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

GENERAL CHAT is General Chat. The rest of the forum is rugby orientated, and I think people should appreciate that prior to taking rugby threads off topic.

THE HATE MUNSTER THREAD. I don't hate them, but a number here do. I honestly think Munster has nothing to do with Leinster rugby and too many threads degenerate into us v them shoite. Keep it all in 1 thread.

PERSONAL ABUSE needs to be stopped, or dealt with. WUM's get banned, but people who continually personally abuse other posters don't. If the mods see abuse, I think they should deal with it irrespective of whether the post was reported or not. More often than not, people won't report the post, but will just stop posting entirely.

MODERATORS are IMHO doing a great job, but maybe 1 or 2 more active independent mods could be appointed to share the load?
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

harryp wrote: MODERATORS are IMHO doing a great job, but maybe 1 or 2 more active independent mods could be appointed to share the load?
Everyone seems to have forgotten about Ronnie. He's a moderator too you know.

Thanks for the tip regarding Firefox. However, I can't use it in work because the vast majority of the internal links on our intranet will only operate through IE.
I don't mind what flashes up on my screen at home - I use Firefox on my own laptop.
Guess I'll have to continue using the monitor shield I nicked in work....
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Leinsterman wrote:
harryp wrote: MODERATORS are IMHO doing a great job, but maybe 1 or 2 more active independent mods could be appointed to share the load?
Everyone seems to have forgotten about Ronnie. He's a moderator too you know.

Thanks for the tip regarding Firefox. However, I can't use it in work because the vast majority of the internal links on our intranet will only operate through IE.
I don't mind what flashes up on my screen at home - I use Firefox on my own laptop.
Guess I'll have to continue using the monitor shield I nicked in work....
I should probably split this as it's in danger of going off topic... ;)

download the IE Tab extension for Firefox...allows you to have tabs in Firefox running IE. You can set in your preferences for certain sites to always open in an IE Tab...
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

What about a section for AIL rugby?

You can't really put it in the 'Leinster addict's' section, or in the 'other teams' section as some of the players have played for Leinster/will play for Leinster...
Smokey&theBandit
Bookworm

Post by Smokey&theBandit »

Leinster Zulu wrote:What about a section for AIL rugby?

You can't really put it in the 'Leinster addict's' section, or in the 'other teams' section as some of the players have played for Leinster/will play for Leinster...
I think this is a great idea, would be nice to be kept up to date with the goings on of the AIL, there's a schools section after all
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

limecat wrote: download the IE Tab extension for Firefox...allows you to have tabs in Firefox running IE. You can set in your preferences for certain sites to always open in an IE Tab...
Main problem is the security features on my work laptop - not sure how it'll react to having Firefox installed on it.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Quick Update

Post by limecat »

Right...I don't think that I've missed any of the suggestions

* Thread deletion

Point taken. There have been threads deleted without there being WUMming / libel issues. They were generally removed at a particular posters request. So from now on we'll not remove threads where a person has simply made an arse of themselves.

* Hide Avatars / Signatures / Smilies

Over the weekend I'll be installing an add-on to enable avatars and signatures to be hidden. The option will appear under each users profile. (if everything goes to plan). I've not yet been able to find an existing MOD to remove smilies. If I do, I'll consider installing it.

* Splitting of Threads

There have been contradictory suggestions made about thread splitting. The fact is that there are maybe two thread split a week at most. There used to be more split. From now on, when threads are split, we will be putting up a post on the original thread saying why the thread was split and where the "unrelated" conversation has been split to. Hopefully that'll make things easier to follow.

* New Moderators

This is under consideration. It won't be implemented in the very short term as if new moderators are brought on board, I think that we will need to have a well defined set of rules for moderators.

* Ignore Option

This was suggested for particular threads. I don't think that this is an option. I'm not see any existing add-ons for the forum software.

I know that somebody previously (a year or so ago) suggested that a feature to ignore particular users should be considered. I'm still not convinced that this is a good idea.

* Overuse of Stickies

This is something that we'll take on board. I have to admit that I sometimes find the number of stickied posts, particularly in the Leinster Addicts section too much. :oops:

* Chatroom

This is not going to be considered at the moment but may be in the future.

* Delete own posts

This is not going to be implemented.

* AIL / Club Section

Over the Summer, I'll be looking at adding more "club" oriented stuff to the site and this may entail the addition of a Clubs section to the forum...possibly as part of an overhaul of the overall structure of the forum.
Last edited by limecat on May 4th, 2007, 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.