Personal Messages

If you have feedback about the site or the forum, leave it here

Moderator: moderators

Is it OK to post Personal Messages on the forum??

Yes
6%
No
94%

Total votes: 48

harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Personal Messages

Post by harryp »

As a matter of etiquette, should one post personal messages received from another poster??

I can't help but notice this evening that a poster has decided to post a PM conversation to which I was a party. Is this a breach of privacy & confidence? Personally, I would have thought so, but.........?
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

It's a gross breach of confidence - particularly whenthe PM can be manipulated and edited.

If that's what's going to happen with PMs - perhaps they should be disabled on the forum.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Personal Messages

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

harryp wrote:As a matter of etiquette, should one post personal messages received from another poster??

I can't help but notice this evening that a poster has decided to post a PM conversation to which I was a party. Is this a breach of privacy & confidence? Personally, I would have thought so, but.........?
It's right up there with "What goes on tour, stays on tour"

Totally irresponsible to post what someone sends in a PM. One could say a suspension offence ! (10 weeks in the bin)
T - 45
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

In my opinion there is no way PM's should be posted. I thought the whole point of a PM was that they are private
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

thecoolfreak wrote:In my opinion there is no way PM's should be posted. I thought the whole point of a PM was that they are private
Spot on there. And anyone who does decide to post a PM they should have serious action taken against them (a ban of some sorts?) to sort them out...
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

Poor old Lord Voldemort gets in one row and everyone is turning on him. Does no one rememeber all he has done for us?
Last edited by epaddy on July 17th, 2007, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

epaddy wrote:Poor old Flash Gordan gets in one row and everyone is turning on him. Does no one rememeber all he has done for us?
Hold on there bald eagle... This doesn't relate or refer to any one individual. It's a non-personal thread on general ethics regarding the publication of PM's :!: :!:
T - 45
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

CRAZYDAVE wrote:
epaddy wrote:Poor old Lord Voldemort gets in one row and everyone is turning on him. Does no one rememeber all he has done for us?
Hold on there bald eagle... This doesn't relate or refer to any one individual. It's a non-personal thread on general ethics regarding the publication of PM's :!: :!:
Oh right. I will edit.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

2 people say yes??? :?

Will be very careful who I PM in future.
Last edited by sarah_lennon on July 17th, 2007, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Maybe it was one person voting twice.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Leinsterman wrote:Maybe it was one person voting twice.
Can you do that? it would call into question the validity of all previous polls so.

I demand a recount. please.
Get in the f%~king bag.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Slipper1 wrote:
Can you do that? it would call into question the validity of all previous polls so.

you can only do it if you have two log-ins.
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
T.C.B.
Seán Cronin

Post by T.C.B. »

harryp wrote:As a matter of etiquette, should one post personal messages received from another poster??

No they shouldn't. If someone receives an abusive pm, you report it to Eve or Limer. Otherwise personal sh!t should be kept off the forum and dealt with like a focking adult.
"It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eye, then it's just fun you can't see" - James Hetfield
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

sarah_lennon wrote:
Slipper1 wrote:

sorry, perhaps I should have put one of these :D or these :wink: in my post to indicate that I was joking. While not including you in this Sarah, there are some people around here recently who are just toooooo serious.
Get in the f%~king bag.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Slipper1 wrote:
sarah_lennon wrote:
Slipper1 wrote: Can you do that? it would call into question the validity of all previous polls so.

sorry, perhaps I should have put one of these :D or these :wink: in my post to indicate that I was joking. While not including you in this Sarah, there are some people around here recently who are just toooooo serious.
Sorry Slipper. You're just not the type of guy who normally cracks jokes!! (putting in a :wink: for clarity)
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Sook
Knowledgeable

Post by Sook »

I voted no but I would add one exception... If both parties agree to it being put on the public forum ie.
joe soap wrote:
joe bloggs wrote: Hey joe, I think you've raised a really interesting point there... do you mind if I share these pms on the public forum?
Joe blogs: Not at all joe; go for it!
Or something along those lines :lol:
Disco tells it as it is:
“I’ve always been a Leinster player. My dad [Tony] played for Leinster, my uncle [Denis] played for Leinster, my cousin [Gavin] played for Leinster. I’m a Leinster guy. I don’t make any apologies for it. That’s my team."
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

Looks like a landslide no so. I think the clue is in the name 'private'. As Sook has said if both parties agree then that's different.
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
Pootle
Beginner

Post by Pootle »

While I've never sent or received any PMs on this site I have on others and while most woud bore the pants off anyone else I'd still hate to think that they could be posted publically.
Why have those who voted yes not argued their viewpoints or is it just people stirring :?
Tara
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Tara »

Pootle wrote:Why have those who voted yes not argued their viewpoints or is it just people stirring :?
Pootle, I understand that at least one of the yes votes was accidental, ie the poster meant to vote no. :oops: Of course in the spirit of respect for privacy which pervades this thread I couldn't possibly post the muppet's name publicly. :roll:
"What is immediately striking is that as soon as an oval ball appears in a group of men there's an extraordinary release of heat." Robert Roy
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

In general, I'd agree with this. However, I'd also point out that people who throw out wild accusations or plain stupid comments, shouldn't be surprised if they get PMs about their posts. Surely the idea is to "take something to PM" rather than flailing about publicly on a thread.

I think your poll on this specific occasion is a red herring. You deliberately misconstrued Flash Gordon's mild attempt to throw a bit of humour into the Tag thread, and your comments were stupid and provocative.

Not everyone on the Tag team sees eye to eye - but people taking their personal likes and dislikes to extremes does us all a disservice. You should look at your own actions before you get on your moral trip.