The relegation of Lansdowne

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Re: The relegation of Lansdowne

Post by simonno6 »

Sure it even goes on in the uni's - the scholarship thing is a bit of a cover-up! They're basically paying them 2k to play for ucd, its no different to what the clubs are doing.

If you want to be successful then its neccesary... Sure even Wanderers 20's (Division 2) were paying some players 100 euro a game!
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

simonno6 wrote:Sure it even goes on in the uni's - the scholarship thing is a bit of a cover-up! They're basically paying them 2k to play for ucd, its no different to what the clubs are doing.

If you want to be successful then its neccesary... Sure even Wanderers 20's (Division 2) were paying some players 100 euro a game!

sure it worked, we won the league!it was only 2 players and in fairness both of them represented the A.I.L wfc team on a few occasions
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

true blue 06 wrote:
simonno6 wrote:Sure it even goes on in the uni's - the scholarship thing is a bit of a cover-up! They're basically paying them 2k to play for ucd, its no different to what the clubs are doing.

sure it worked, we won the league!it was only 2 players and in fairness both of them represented the A.I.L wfc team on a few occasions
Yeh it did work, can't begrudge you that! Best team in the division by a mile!

Both of them didnt represent the AIL team.. Pratt did, but Keevo didn't!
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

simonno6 wrote:
true blue 06 wrote:

Yeh it did work, can't begrudge you that! Best team in the division by a mile!

Both of them didnt represent the AIL team.. Pratt did, but Keevo didn't!

pretty sure keevo played one match and pratt about 3 and one other lad played one game but wasn't on the pay roll
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

Im sure PB was earning a fine crust anyway!
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

thecoolfreak wrote:
true blue 06 wrote:
I'm not going to argue semantics but the fact they are paying players to play u/20 is a complete and utter sham.
its not just lansdowne... when belvo heard these lads were joining lansdowne last summer, they effectively tried to buy them out of the contract , offering to pay for whatever lansdowne had paid and then more money on top of that if they joined belvo... some clubs give cars to their u20s players so maybe 2k isn't that big a deal
Its an unhealthy road for rugby to be taking if clubs are paying players to play U20's. Its not something I'd like to see continue[/quote]

I disagree, i means they dont have to take up part time jobs. Can continue to study, keeps them focused on hitting the gym and training. Makes perfect sense for these guys to be getting pocket money.
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

simonno6 wrote:Im sure PB was earning a fine crust anyway!
i'm sure he was, deserves it
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

leinsterlank
Knowledgeable

Post by leinsterlank »

This money argument is ridiculous. These players are entering into a professional sport.Granted the clubs aren't professional but if these players were in england or anywhere else in the world they'd all have full contracts by now, earning way bigger sums. The reality is that to get a big player you have to pay!!!thats life, thats rugby so saying that it shouldn't continue on this road is ridiculous.Lets just stop professionalism and make everybody amateur again. That sounds like a plan!
"It feels great. I've played for the team for 10 years and it was worth the wait. I love Leinster and I wanted to do it before the end of my career."

- BOD, Heineken Cup and Grand Slam Winner 2009
leinsterlank
Knowledgeable

Post by leinsterlank »

P.s. Wanderers are way better than UCD and were robbed by a talentless team with a bottler for a goalkicker!Just thought that needed to be said!
"It feels great. I've played for the team for 10 years and it was worth the wait. I love Leinster and I wanted to do it before the end of my career."

- BOD, Heineken Cup and Grand Slam Winner 2009
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

It was a corker of a match alright. How Wanderers props made it through 100 minutes + of rugby ill never know :lol: :lol:
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

great game yeah... most annoying thing was ucd beat marys pretty easily in the next round
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

Lads, reality check - Most Senior Clubs (AIL 1 - 3) pay their U20 players (Salary + Expenses + Kit Allowances + Gym ++++). I'd say €100k (possibly even more) would be about average for most of the bigger clubs.

wrt the pack. Stand by my comments 100%, saw Lansdowne a couple of weeks ago - nothing to write home about.
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

leinsterlank wrote:P.s. Wanderers are way better than UCD and were robbed by a talentless team with a bottler for a goalkicker!Just thought that needed to be said!
We're talking about underage club rugby here, do we need these personal insults about 20 year players. Don't forget that UCD have 4 of our 20's team playing with the AIL team plus our 1st choice outhalf and kicker out injured.

On the payment of players, these guys a 19 and 20 year olds. The vast majority of them will never make it as a pro rugby player and the few that do only a handful will be able to make a living from it. It would fit these guys a lot better to go out and get a taste of the real world. A lot of these guys think they a the all and the end all when they come out of school's rugby and paying them to play 20's does nothing but give them bigger heads. I wonder how many of these guys will still be playing rugby in 3 years time? You and I all know what the majority of this money is spent on and it doesn't help make these lads any better at rugby.

UCD's scholarship system is different to paying players to play. It covers the expenses of accomodation in Dublin for guys tfrom the country and I hope that we never go down the road of paying players.
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

thecoolfreak wrote:
leinsterlank wrote:P.s. Wanderers are way better than UCD and were robbed by a talentless team with a bottler for a goalkicker!Just thought that needed to be said!
We're talking about underage club rugby here, do we need these personal insults about 20 year players. Don't forget that UCD have 4 of our 20's team playing with the AIL team plus our 1st choice outhalf and kicker out injured.

On the payment of players, these guys a 19 and 20 year olds. The vast majority of them will never make it as a pro rugby player and the few that do only a handful will be able to make a living from it. It would fit these guys a lot better to go out and get a taste of the real world. A lot of these guys think they a the all and the end all when they come out of school's rugby and paying them to play 20's does nothing but give them bigger heads. I wonder how many of these guys will still be playing rugby in 3 years time? You and I all know what the majority of this money is spent on and it doesn't help make these lads any better at rugby.

UCD's scholarship system is different to paying players to play. It covers the expenses of accomodation in Dublin for guys tfrom the country and I hope that we never go down the road of paying players.

Sorry TCF but it just sounds like you are jealous.

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

epaddy wrote:
thecoolfreak wrote:

Sorry TCF but it just sounds like you are jealous.
Believe me, I'm not.
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

So its only the country lads that get scholarships to play for UCD? :roll:

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

epaddy wrote:So its only the country lads that get scholarships to play for UCD? :roll:
Here's the list of scholarships from this year.

Cian Aherne (Limerick), Vasily Artemiev (Russia), Ben Barclay (Dublin), Wesley Carter (Tipperary), Brian Cawley (Wicklow), Eoghan Conran (Kildare), Andrew Cummiskey (Dublin), Cailbhe Doherty (Wicklow), Cathal Doyle (Kildare), Mark Flanagan (Westmeath), David Gilchrist (Dublin), Robert Kearney (Louth), Killian Lett (Wexford), Fergus McFadden (Kildare), Gerard Moran (Dublin), David Nyhan (Dublin), Conor Quinn (Kildare), Robert Shanley (Dublin), Jonathan Slattery (Dublin) and Gavin Telford (Laois).

This list consists of players on the 20's, J1's and 1sts. There a few from Dublin but the majority our from outside Dublin. Anyway the scholarship doesn't consist of personal money for the respective players. It covers the cost of acomodation, any fees, access to the High Performance Unit, etc. Its not a personal kitty for players like some other clubs are offering. Anyway the scholarship is run by UCD Sport and not UCD rugby club.
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

Yes various bullshit reason's. When it comes down to it these gguys are getting money to play. The difference is minimal but the extent is far greater.

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
groundhog
Knowledgeable

Post by groundhog »

To be honest I think anyone that believes that that kind of investment in u20s rugby is a worthwhile investment and is sustainable really haven't a clue. The bottom line is Lansdowne got relegated, these kids are not entering the professional ranks they are entering the amateur game, just because other clubs are doing it doesn't make it right. What these kids need is a dose of reality and not pocket money that they piss up against the nearest tree...

People wonder why the senior club game is dying, this thread would give you plenty of reasons why...
The French pulled up the Scots' kilts and discovered they had no balls - Zinzan Brooke
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

thecoolfreak wrote:
epaddy wrote:So its only the country lads that get scholarships to play for UCD? :roll:
Here's the list of scholarships from this year.

Cian Aherne (Limerick), Vasily Artemiev (Russia), Ben Barclay (Dublin), Wesley Carter (Tipperary), Brian Cawley (Wicklow), Eoghan Conran (Kildare), Andrew Cummiskey (Dublin), Cailbhe Doherty (Wicklow), Cathal Doyle (Kildare), Mark Flanagan (Westmeath), David Gilchrist (Dublin), Robert Kearney (Louth), Killian Lett (Wexford), Fergus McFadden (Kildare), Gerard Moran (Dublin), David Nyhan (Dublin), Conor Quinn (Kildare), Robert Shanley (Dublin), Jonathan Slattery (Dublin) and Gavin Telford (Laois).

This list consists of players on the 20's, J1's and 1sts. There a few from Dublin but the majority our from outside Dublin. Anyway the scholarship doesn't consist of personal money for the respective players. It covers the cost of acomodation, any fees, access to the High Performance Unit, etc. Its not a personal kitty for players like some other clubs are offering. Anyway the scholarship is run by UCD Sport and not UCD rugby club.
so if the country lads get free accommodation, what do the dublin lads get.... how come they gave super rob a scholarship, he's a pro and hasn't played for ucd this year
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009