U20s Rugby - What Club?

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Belvo Boy
Beginner

Re: U20s Rugby - What Club?

Post by Belvo Boy »

Who are the contenders this year for the Premier and the Pennant? UCD have to improve from last year probably the weakest College team at this level in years. Lansdowne have most of their team back however with their ones relegated alot of those guys will prob make the step up which will test the depth to their squad. Most of the Rock team are gone but they had a very good Pennant side alot of those guys will step up and should come into the premier team this year. Belvo will be dark horses. Naas had a reasonable side last year were very young but apparantly they have fallen to pieces in the off season. Will struggle big time in the Premier this year. If Wanderers end up in the Pennant again they will be very strong. Wesley should go well again although I believe they have lost their coach to Tarf. It's hard to know how the College teams will go in the Pennant it will depend on how their recruitment goes. Bective have most of their team back and after a good run of form after Xmas last year they will be up their. Newbridge could be dark horses I believe most of their squad are back plus they have picked up some players from Naas. Any other rumours worth talking about.....
msp
Beginner

Post by msp »

Belvo are overblown every year.
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

rock might be a bit weaker this year as their sct weren't gresat this year. i reckon old belvo will be good. they signed loads of the belvo sct and michaels lads, prob some clongowes players also. wanderers are putting a side in the premier this year and are planning for a pennant side also. lansdopwne have already lost some players to other clubs and other guys will spend the season on the firsts
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
Belvo Boy
Beginner

Post by Belvo Boy »

As I understand it Wanderers are not gauranteed getting into the premier they have to beat Seapoint. I hear alot of the Michaels lads are going to Wanderers the coach there is a teacher in Micheals mind you the SCT in Michaels were poor last year so I wouldn't be loosing any sleep over loosing them to the chaps. If Wanderers end up in the Pennant then their 2nd team will have to play in the Gael Cup I presume??
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

wfc won the pennant last year and thus qualified for the mc corry cup, i think playing in thtat more or less meant we would be playing in the premier, if the branch have any common sense thats where they'll put us because another season in the pennant would be a waste of time for wanderers. we didn't have a seconds team last year so i'd say we'll only have 2 teams if we have a premier side. was told lots of the michaels lads were going to belvo...also heard some would go to the chaps...yeah your right the coaches are ex-michaels lads and teachers there now. still reckon old belvo are a good bet for next year. i'm presuming most of the belvo 08 lads will join as i've noticed on the leinster website tom sexton has signed with them
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

jimmy the bone
Bookworm

Post by jimmy the bone »

I was at the meeting in O Belvo and it was decided that if Wanderers want to go up they have to win a playoff against Seapoint which is set for the 5th of Oct. The idea of this is to control teams going up and down between the leagues and to ring fence at 12 the number of teams in the premier. There has to be a play off you can't change the goal posts and relegate Seapoint now when there was no relegation in April. I also believe Seapoint have signed alot of the monksown team from last year which will make the play off especially difficult. Either way Wanderers will be in the Pennant whether its their 1st team or 2nd team.
Enter the Dragon
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

cheers jimmy, didn't know that was how it worked. so is that set to be a neutral venue do you know?
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

bunty85
Knowledgeable

Post by bunty85 »

Seapoint's 20s will be strong next year. i think that theres a few of Andrew S goin too, such as Eoin Cremin who was on the Leinster 19s. Mick Noone the Leinster 19s captain, not sure if he's goin but he played there when he was younger so he may go. They also seem to have got Nigel Osbourne and Kelvin Leahy from the Biraitz training camp yoke and who help coach in CBC, both are good coaches apparently. Is all of the Michaels S joining Wanderers, they had a couple of quality players like Reid and that flanker who i can't remember the name of right now.
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

i'd say a few will, but a good few will go to belvo as most michaels boys grow up playing for belvo
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

jimmy the bone
Bookworm

Post by jimmy the bone »

Not sure if it will be a neutral venue. But I'd say it would have to be in fairness.
Enter the Dragon
Belvo Boy
Beginner

Post by Belvo Boy »

With the Pennant and Premier set to start next week who are the form teams. Lansdowne for the Premier I reckon with Rock hot on their heels. I believe Naas have folded who will take their place. Rock or Wesley for the Pennant.
pulldownthemaul
Beginner

Post by pulldownthemaul »

We've basically lost our 20s in Naas in a matter of weeks. It's all gone pear shaped and there's been an exodus. Not even sure if we'll pull a team together now. I'd watch out for Barnhall who'll give a few of the big names some shocks. They have two props from last years leinster 19s and a sh!t load of ex-Leinster youths players. Plus some of our players now to add to their pannel. Their pack are HUGE !
Rogbyfan

Post by Rogbyfan »

pulldownthemaul wrote: I'd watch out for Barnhall who'll give a few of the big names some shocks. They have two props from last years leinster 19s and a sh!t load of ex-Leinster youths players. Plus some of our players now to add to their pannel. Their pack are HUGE !
First game of the league today. UCD 50 - 03 Barnhall.