U20s Rugby - What Club?

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

ccmunster
Beginner

U20s Rugby - What Club?

Post by ccmunster »

Im finishing school in cresent, i played on the senior for 2 years and am moving up to Dublin to work with my uncle for a year? I'll be in south Dublin. What clubs are there? Who are the coaches and how good are they? Where is it serious or isn't? Who is on the way up (improving sides)? as i think that would suit me.
Jibbly
Beginner

Re: U20s Rugby - What Club?

Post by Jibbly »

come to barnhall!
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

ccmunster wrote:Im finishing school in cresent, i played on the senior for 2 years and am moving up to Dublin to work with my uncle for a year? I'll be in south Dublin. What clubs are there? Who are the coaches and how good are they? Where is it serious or isn't? Who is on the way up (improving sides)? as i think that would suit me.
best u20s clubs in south dublin would be lansdowne, blackrock and trinity.

ucd were poor this year....... wanderers have made huge improvements this year.... old belvo will be good next year as some of the belvo sct will join
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
ccmunster
Beginner

Post by ccmunster »

i didnt play rep rugby, so a big club i might not start for. + I cant join a college as i wont be attending 1. Wanderers have a fair few cresent lads in the 1st team im told. who runs their 20s and what are they like, are they (the players) drawn locally or from around the country like the 1st team? Barnhall not in dublin is it. Any other info about lansdowne?
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

ccmunster wrote:i didnt play rep rugby, so a big club i might not start for. + I cant join a college as i wont be attending 1. Wanderers have a fair few cresent lads in the 1st team im told. who runs their 20s and what are they like, are they (the players) drawn locally or from around the country like the 1st team? Barnhall not in dublin is it. Any other info about lansdowne?
sent you a Private message about wanderers there, check your inbox.... yeah, huge group of lads on the wfc firsts are from limerick and went to cresent. all details are in the pm.

lansdowne 20s this year were brilliant, their strongest xv included 8 guys who had represented leinster u18s,19s and 20s. they had 3 guys who played for irelands in last years u19s world cup and 2 guys who started on the ireland u20s 6 nations team this year
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

bluerugbyrules
Learner

Post by bluerugbyrules »

Depending on what level you want to play at and how serious you are. lansdowne, terenure, wanderers, blackrock (the big names) have big budgets but will also have BIG squads, the majority of which would be representative standard. They mostly pay guys to join and look for players with a proven track record at provinsial level. They would look for the best of the 3 Leinster side - schools, 19s & youths. Chances are you could spend a season not even making the bench.
You got an invite from Barnhall there, it is virtually in Dublin. check out the map for Leixlip on "viamichelin.com". They were only promoted last year to the Premier and had a tough season but have a lot of good players coming through from their U18s who just won the leinster Cup and will be just an average side playing in a good league. I have heard they've got some very good coaches at 20s at the moment. Other options could be some of the clubs not in the premier - have a look at the leinster domestic web site at this years tables.
cud
Mullet

Post by cud »

Come and play for collidge. Aside from having the best facilities by a country mile its a very good club to be involved in.
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

[quote="cud"]Come and play for collidge. Aside from having the best facilities by a country mile its a very good club to be involved in.[/quo

can you play there if your not a student?
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

true blue 06 wrote:
ccmunster wrote:Im finishing school in cresent, i played on the senior for 2 years and am moving up to Dublin to work with my uncle for a year? I'll be in south Dublin. What clubs are there? Who are the coaches and how good are they? Where is it serious or isn't? Who is on the way up (improving sides)? as i think that would suit me.

ucd were poor this year....... wanderers have made huge improvements this year.... old belvo will be good next year as some of the belvo sct will join
Correction, most of them are in the "Clontarf Academy" as they hail from the darkside :twisted: :twisted: :wink:
T - 45
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

true blue 06 wrote:
cud wrote:Come and play for collidge. Aside from having the best facilities by a country mile its a very good club to be involved in.[/quo

can you play there if your not a student?
Not sure if you can play 20's if not in UCD but after that you don't have to be in UCD to play
ccmunster
Beginner

Post by ccmunster »

i will be u20, so i pretty much have to go to a club
ccmunster
Beginner

Post by ccmunster »

Old Belvedere are coached by who? and who coaches Blackrock? and what are they like? would both these teams be just made up of ex schoolmates.
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

ccmunster wrote:Old Belvedere are coached by who? and who coaches Blackrock? and what are they like? would both these teams be just made up of ex schoolmates.
old belvo will have a mix of belvo heads and clongowes lads, possibly some michaels lads. rock will pretty much be all rock past pupils at 20s level, they're coached by greg mcwilliams , the sct coach in st michaels
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

CRAZYDAVE wrote:
true blue 06 wrote:

Correction, most of them are in the "Clontarf Academy" as they hail from the darkside :twisted: :twisted: :wink:
actually i remember reading something about that in the IT , that the belvo s were invited to an old belvo ail game for the pre match lunch and were reffered to as the clontarf academy by the opposing team president
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

true blue 06 wrote:

actually i remember reading something about that in the IT , that the belvo s were invited to an old belvo ail game for the pre match lunch and were reffered to as the clontarf academy by the opposing team president
yeh that was against lansdowne - funny story. But sure who had the last laugh!
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
vagga
Bookworm

Post by vagga »

Play for the club which is easiest to get to and from your home and your work..

No point in picking club x - and missing training as its a 2 hour commute from your work :)
cj
Graduate

Post by cj »

You can play for Trinity u20s if not a student there (or anywhere) and would be v welcome there. Excellent technical coaches who will improve you massively as a player - huge focus on skills and you can't but improve, plus a good social scene at that age-group. Again you will struggle to make the team if have not payed representative though. Bear in mind that if you're ambitious, you may as well aim for a v good club in south dublin which also has a good u20B team and if you get games for the u20 As you will have played a high level of rugby. In that regard, clubs like Blackrock, Trinity and Lansdowne would be a far better bet than Belvo, UCD, Wanderers etc etc -if you don't make the team at Wanderers for instance, there won't be much to fall back on. At Trinity you'd still be playing a good standard of rugby with the Bs. UCD also struggle with 2nd teams at senior and u20s level.
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

UCD have had a solid 2nds team for the whole season, one of my mates was hovering between the two and got a lot of game time for both... Lansdowne u20's dont have a 2nd's but if your in desperate need of a game they will send you to J2s' or J3's for a match.
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

cj wrote:You can play for Trinity u20s if not a student there (or anywhere) and would be v welcome there. Excellent technical coaches who will improve you massively as a player - huge focus on skills and you can't but improve, plus a good social scene at that age-group. Again you will struggle to make the team if have not payed representative though. Bear in mind that if you're ambitious, you may as well aim for a v good club in south dublin which also has a good u20B team and if you get games for the u20 As you will have played a high level of rugby. In that regard, clubs like Blackrock, Trinity and Lansdowne would be a far better bet than Belvo, UCD, Wanderers etc etc -if you don't make the team at Wanderers for instance, there won't be much to fall back on. At Trinity you'd still be playing a good standard of rugby with the Bs. UCD also struggle with 2nd teams at senior and u20s level.
wanderers will have an u20s b team next year so there is something to fall back on
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

cj
Graduate

Post by cj »

true blue 06 wrote:
cj wrote:You can play for Trinity u20s if not a student there (or anywhere) and would be v welcome there. Excellent technical coaches who will improve you massively as a player - huge focus on skills and you can't but improve, plus a good social scene at that age-group. Again you will struggle to make the team if have not payed representative though. Bear in mind that if you're ambitious, you may as well aim for a v good club in south dublin which also has a good u20B team and if you get games for the u20 As you will have played a high level of rugby. In that regard, clubs like Blackrock, Trinity and Lansdowne would be a far better bet than Belvo, UCD, Wanderers etc etc -if you don't make the team at Wanderers for instance, there won't be much to fall back on. At Trinity you'd still be playing a good standard of rugby with the Bs. UCD also struggle with 2nd teams at senior and u20s level.
wanderers will have an u20s b team next year so there is something to fall back on
That may be true but I'm talking about an established u20B side that can beat all but about 10 u20A teams in Leinster. Surprised Lansdowne still don't have an u20B side.