Carlow Rugby Course

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Ronbonjovi
Beginner

Carlow Rugby Course

Post by Ronbonjovi »

Hi I got a call on friday to attend the Leinster course in carlow on friday the 9th. Does anybody have any info on the course or skills test. Any info would be greatly appreciated,thanks.
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Carlow Rugby Course

Post by simonno6 »

my mate does it and is loving it. It seems to be tough work, a lot of the course is actual physical training (early morning gym sessions etc..) with a bit of marketing thrown in.
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
Ronbonjovi
Beginner

Post by Ronbonjovi »

Yeah i went down on Friday and it looks quality.They said there'd be practical(Playing,coaching,gym)training daily and only 9 hours lectures a week,sounds like a winning combination.I have my fingers crossed now :D :D
Xplosive
Learner

Post by Xplosive »

Job prospects = nil
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

yeah and it's run by a secret group of clongowes past pupils, who in cahoots with the kearney family, are going about systematically destroying first leinster rugby, then irish rugby and then finally taking over the world
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Mustapha
Knowledgeable

Post by Mustapha »

KOG - Kearney Ocuupation Government.
A little known fact about JC (not Jerry, the other one. The nice Jewish boy) was that he was a top-level statistician. Where does the bible tell us this? Mark 6:30-44

His Poisson distribution skills were miraculous.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Mustapha wrote:KOG - Kearney Ocuupation Government.
sssshhh, they'll hear us
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Xplosive wrote:Job prospects = nil
What do you actually get out of the course?
Ronbonjovi
Beginner

Post by Ronbonjovi »

Its a three year diploma course in 'Sport and Exercise,Rugby'.You do coaching,run to the same specs as the IRFU coaching course and all player development is to the same specs as the Leinster Academy.It is basically a sub-academy and a feeder to the higher level leinster academy.You also study communications or marketing and have the option of going on to a degree in marketing or communications afterwards.
Xplosive
Learner

Post by Xplosive »

Ok in all seriousness here.....I WOULD NOT recomend anyone take this course. The job prospects out of this course are effectively a YDO for a club or if your lucky a YDO for the Leinster Branch or a gym attendent (Presuming there is some sort of NCEF qualification). Yes the very lucky few might get called up to the leinster academy from this, but the chances of emerging from the leinster academy as a pro player are slimmer still.

The marketing modules mentioned by another poster may get you a job selling broadband over the phone!

Seriously I have serious issues with this course. If young players are good enough they will be snapped up by the Leinster academy. Yes a very small minority will slip through the net and make it at a later stage but that doesnt justify the vast majority of these students wasting 3 years of there lives in an unofficial 'sub academy'
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Xplosive wrote:Ok in all seriousness here.....I WOULD NOT recomend anyone take this course. The job prospects out of this course are effectively a YDO for a club or if your lucky a YDO for the Leinster Branch or a gym attendent (Presuming there is some sort of NCEF qualification). Yes the very lucky few might get called up to the leinster academy from this, but the chances of emerging from the leinster academy as a pro player are slimmer still.

The marketing modules mentioned by another poster may get you a job selling broadband over the phone!

Seriously I have serious issues with this course. If young players are good enough they will be snapped up by the Leinster academy. Yes a very small minority will slip through the net and make it at a later stage but that doesnt justify the vast majority of these students wasting 3 years of there lives in an unofficial 'sub academy'
I think your spot on. If you don't make the Academy you have little chance of playing with Leinster so you really are better off getting yourself a degree
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

Ronbonjovi wrote:Its a three year diploma course in 'Sport and Exercise,Rugby'.You do coaching,run to the same specs as the IRFU coaching course and all player development is to the same specs as the Leinster Academy.It is basically a sub-academy and a feeder to the higher level leinster academy.You also study communications or marketing and have the option of going on to a degree in marketing or communications afterwards.
Im 95% sure its a degree
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
jordanracer
Knowledgeable

Post by jordanracer »

http://web.itcarlow.ie/courses_detail.a ... d=itcarlow

Its a three year BA degree (Level 7)
bluerugbyrules
Learner

Post by bluerugbyrules »

The course might be good for someone who has no academic ability and has no points to get into a diploma / degree course. Even still, they might want to think about an alternate career outside of rugby first. I wouldn't knock it too much. it's in it's infancy and who knows - it could grow into a decent academy????
LeinsterGiant
Beginner

Post by LeinsterGiant »

so you get picked to do the course?
Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

Sounds like a class way to spend a couple of years!
Forget the naysayers! Go for it and enjoy it! :D
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Xplosive wrote:Ok in all seriousness here.....I WOULD NOT recomend anyone take this course. The job prospects out of this course are effectively a YDO for a club or if your lucky a YDO for the Leinster Branch or a gym attendent (Presuming there is some sort of NCEF qualification). Yes the very lucky few might get called up to the leinster academy from this, but the chances of emerging from the leinster academy as a pro player are slimmer still.

Wasting 3 years? If you really believe that you are dependant on the "quality" of your degree to springboard you into a long and successful career, either you're a neuro-surgeon or you don't have that much of a career so far yourself (no insult intended).

Ronbonjovi,

As xplosive and tcf point out, your chances of making it as a pro are small, but if you rate your own chances of progressing in the sport I can't think of a better way of going about it by participating in a programme that is monitored by the branch and gives you some other skills. If after 3 years it doesn't work out and you find the degree you did doesn't give you the skills you wanted, you can get another qualification or start work and figure out which route to take as you go. I could have studied Greek and Roman civilisation and still ended up doing OK thanks, as can anyone. My business degree had a minimal impact on my present career and skillset. Our preoccuaption with the calibre of degree is one of the things holding back our natural Irish predisposition towards entrepreneurship.

Rant over. If you think the rugby aspect of the course will help and you seriously rate your chances of improving dramatically (which will take a lot of effort) then go for it and best of luck. Somebody obviously rates you or you wouldn't have been invited. Go and prove that wearing the right tie isn't the sole means of entry into the elite pro circle!!
Durkah Durkah
Bookworm

Post by Durkah Durkah »

Stop knocking education. Just because it isn't Trinners or Collidge doesn't mean the course isn't of value to the right candidate. Half the country seem to be accountants these days and they don't all have B.Comms and BESS. The sensible people do the short, few hour courses (like Greek and Roman as already mentioned) which counts as the Prof 1 and just continue after that. How many of us have a job where our degree subjects were of any use? Just need a degree.
I hope you got into the course, I hope you enjoy it and let us know how you get on.
LeinsterGiant
Beginner

Post by LeinsterGiant »

I hear its a good course and very hard to get into..They arent picking useless people who are just going through the motions either, the whole "portfolio" process and skills session/interview is a good way of filtering the more commited and dare I say "talented" people into the course.

BA in sports and exercise, seems to be quite promosing for carlow, certainly got them some publicity anyway!!
LeinsterGiant
Beginner

Post by LeinsterGiant »

anyone hear of any new good young players heading into the it rugby course this year?

seems as though the course narly paid off fully when they won freshers, division two but lost out after extra time in the division one final.. surely can only go from strentgh to strentgh