Senior Cup Draw 2009

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Senior Cup Draw 2009

Post by simonno6 »

Top Half

Belvo Vs Gerards

Kings Hospital Vs Gonzaga

Qualifier 3 Vs Michaels

CBC Monkstown Vs Blackrock College

Bottom Half

Terenure College Vs Castleknock

Newbridge College Vs Clongowes

Qualifier 1 Vs St.Marys

Qualifier 4 Vs Qualifier 2

Only one match involving two teams from the Big 8 (Castleknock vs Terenure). This should ensure a cracking set of 1/4 final matches including Belvo v Gonzaga (How many times have these sides met at this stage in the last few years?!), Michaels v Blackrock, Terenure v Clongowes.
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Re: Senior Cup Draw 2009

Post by gleesonisgod »

It was the big 6 in my day. :lol:
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
bunty85
Knowledgeable

Post by bunty85 »

'Big 8', GTFO haha. Zaga won't have it all their own way against KH going by some of KH's results in the league. Rock will win, Belvo will and Nure, i couldn't tell you the rest. According to someone here Newbridge are decent and with could pose a threat to CWC(who just lost to CBC). Michaels aren't the may west apparently either.
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

bunty85 wrote:'Big 8', GTFO haha. Zaga won't have it all their own way against KH going by some of KH's results in the league. Rock will win, Belvo will and Nure, i couldn't tell you the rest. According to someone here Newbridge are decent and with could pose a threat to CWC(who just lost to CBC). Michaels aren't the may west apparently either.
Well according to the Leinster Branch Castleknock and Gonzaga now rank amongst the top 8, hence they dont play in the league and qualify for the cup automatically.
bunty85
Knowledgeable

Post by bunty85 »

simonno6 wrote:
bunty85 wrote:'Big 8', GTFO haha. Zaga won't have it all their own way against KH going by some of KH's results in the league. Rock will win, Belvo will and Nure, i couldn't tell you the rest. According to someone here Newbridge are decent and with could pose a threat to CWC(who just lost to CBC). Michaels aren't the may west apparently either.
Well according to the Leinster Branch Castleknock and Gonzaga now rank amongst the top 8, hence they dont play in the league and qualify for the cup automatically.
Well personally speaking i find it hard to consider a school that has never won the cup, let alone even get to a semi final up there with the likes of Rock or Michaels. Gonzaga are there because it makes a nice even number for the Branch for qualifying. 8 automatic, 4 league semi finalists and the Vinny Murray too. Last year we had the farce of Zaga and Kilkenny playing each other 3 times in the same period, at the start their play off game for being 3rd in their league group, which went to a replay(won by KK). Zaga went into the Vinny Murray(qualifed) then played KK again, only this time beating them. This delayed the whole SC process and gave them a right headache about fixtures. Zaga were chosen based on the fact they had won the league twice in 5 years(cup record aside), the best record at the time-it being the only 'fair' way of deciding who gets the incredible advantage of automatic qualification. I'm guessing this will all change next year with the reformatting of the cup.
Phil
Beginner

Post by Phil »

gonzaga are have only been put as automatic qualifiers for a one year trial basis. It is mainly based on this years sct as opposed to their overall record. At junior level this years team won the league, and then made the final, with a virtual rerun of the league leading up to the final. They proved themselves twice to be the best league team and also got big victories over top 6 schools throughout the course of the year, that's why they have qualified auromatically this year.
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

Has the sectionB draw been made yet? Andrews, Bray, Roscrea etc.?
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

BlueArmyOriginal wrote:Has the sectionB draw been made yet? Andrews, Bray, Roscrea etc.?
Vinny Murray and the junior equivalent are both on the domestic main page along with the main cup draws. (Just wasnt bothered sticking them up here :-))
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

simonno6 wrote:
BlueArmyOriginal wrote:Has the sectionB draw been made yet? Andrews, Bray, Roscrea etc.?
Vinny Murray and the junior equivalent are both on the domestic main page along with the main cup draws. (Just wasnt bothered sticking them up here :-))
:roll: Well for those of us poor unfortunates who AREN'T in the old boys club:
Top Half-
Skerries play the winners of Templeogue and Pauls in the next round
} Qualifier 1
Templeogue College v St.Pauls

Newpark v Wesley College
} Qualifier 2
Mount Temple v De La Salle Churchtown

Bottom Half
St.Columbas v CUS
} Qualifier 3
Roscrea v High School

St.Andrews College v Pres Bray
} Qualifier 4
Kilkenny play the the winners of Andrews and Pres in the next round.

Nightmare draw for Andrews at least if they get thru they'll have a good draw in the main section but that's 2 horrible games to have to get there.
leinsternut
Beginner

Post by leinsternut »

IMHO Vinny Murray qualifiers will be 1. Tempelogue 2. Wesley 3. CUS & 4. Kilkenny.... Its a very uneven draw with the 5 strongest teams in CUS, Roscrea, Kilkenny, Andrews & Pres Bray in the bottom half.
skerrieslad
Beginner

Post by skerrieslad »

leinsternut wrote:IMHO Vinny Murray qualifiers will be 1. Tempelogue 2. Wesley 3. CUS & 4. Kilkenny.... Its a very uneven draw with the 5 strongest teams in CUS, Roscrea, Kilkenny, Andrews & Pres Bray in the bottom half.
id say it wil b 1. skerries 2. de la salle 3. roscrea 4. kilkenny , based on da league
kilkenny 2 win da vinnie murray cup outright den
Munki
Bookworm

Post by Munki »

Well, the gloves'll be off in my gaf come the new year. The old man's alma mater, Castleknock taking on the mighty Purple, Black and White!! (cue rounds of histerical abuse being thrown at me by everyone - except, possibly, Vagga).
"Holy Crip, he's a Crapple!" - Peter Griffin
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Munki wrote:Well, the gloves'll be off in my gaf come the new year. The old man's alma mater, Castleknock taking on the mighty Purple, Black and White!! (cue rounds of histerical abuse being thrown at me by everyone - except, possibly, Vagga).
Dont worry about it - CUS will kick all your asses.
Get in the f%~king bag.
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

skerrieslad wrote:
leinsternut wrote:IMHO Vinny Murray qualifiers will be 1. Tempelogue 2. Wesley 3. CUS & 4. Kilkenny.... Its a very uneven draw with the 5 strongest teams in CUS, Roscrea, Kilkenny, Andrews & Pres Bray in the bottom half.
id say it wil b 1. skerries 2. de la salle 3. roscrea 4. kilkenny , based on da league
kilkenny 2 win da vinnie murray cup outright den
De La Salle and Skerries????

Can you please refrain from writing text speak here, it makes baby Jesus cry, not to mention baby Combatlogo.

CUS had better get revenge for losing to Columba's, wouldn't have happened in my day!!!
northside
Beginner

Post by northside »

steamer
cus wnt get anywhere
jis4john
Beginner

Post by jis4john »

Tempelogue and Wesley are very weak this year and i say it will be close between CUS and Roscrea but i say Roscrea will win

Skerries De La Salle Roscrea and Kilkenny to get through
leinsternut
Beginner

Post by leinsternut »

jis4john wrote:
Tempelogue and Wesley are very weak this year and i say it will be close between CUS and Roscrea but i say Roscrea will win

Skerries De La Salle Roscrea and Kilkenny to get through
Top half very weak so anyone could get through, I suppose you would give Skerries and De La Salle a good chance there. CUS beat Roscrea away in league and have very strong pack so they would start favourites in a neutral venue. Tight game to call and will be tie of the tournament. Kilkenny to breeze past Andrews. You can be positive the winner will come from the bottom half!
Kickingking
Beginner

Post by Kickingking »

I agree that the bottom half of the Vinnie Murray draw is much stronger on paper. The CUS v Roscrea match looks a hard one to call although Roscrea often produce their best form in the cup. I think Andrews v Kilkenny will be a close game. I know that Andrews lost 19-5 at home to Kilkenny in the League but by all accounts the scoreline probably flattered Kilkenny. Andrews also didn't lose by very much to either Gerards (0-6) or CBC (3-15) so I would expect them to come out with all guns blazing - all this presupposes that they beat Pres Bray in the first round!
lebowski
Learner

Post by lebowski »

Kickingking wrote:I agree that the bottom half of the Vinnie Murray draw is much stronger on paper. The CUS v Roscrea match looks a hard one to call although Roscrea often produce their best form in the cup. I think Andrews v Kilkenny will be a close game. I know that Andrews lost 19-5 at home to Kilkenny in the League but by all accounts the scoreline probably flattered Kilkenny. Andrews also didn't lose by very much to either Gerards (0-6) or CBC (3-15) so I would expect them to come out with all guns blazing - all this presupposes that they beat Pres Bray in the first round!
That is a seriously big assumption. Read nothing into Pres' latest form. They have been riddled with injuries. They have basically played the 2nd half of the league more than half of their first choice 15 out injured. All bar one will be back by Christmas. They also beat St Andrews easily enought earlier in the year and lost to Gerards and Newbridge by less than a score, both times with 4 players missing. I would make them slight favorites to come through this quarter of the Vinnie Murray.
its about winning
Bookworm

Post by its about winning »

Anyone know how the schools are going in the lead up to the cup: Put your money on Rock I've been told by a teacher heavily involved in the school.

Belvo, Terenure all going well from what I hear.

Any news on Blackrock - I hear they beat Ireland Schools pre christmas
St Michaels ???
St. Marys???
Castleknock terrible this year - big front row and good full back but nothing else. Castelknock need to go down a level to the Leinster league standard.
North side living - south side educated