Towns cup draw

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

jaybyrne
Bookworm

Towns cup draw

Post by jaybyrne »

The draws for the Newstalk Provincial Towns and Metropolitan Cup competitions were made in the RDS on Friday evening...
TOWNS CUP:

1st Round – Saturday, 24th January:
Skerries v Wicklow, New Ross v Arklow, Gorey v Boyne, Wexford v Dundalk, Ashbourne v Portarlington, Rathdrum v Carlow, Portlaoise v Clondalkin, Longford v Enniscorthy, North Kildare v Kilkenny, Tullow v Naas, Mullingar v Clane, Athy v Edenderry
(byes – Navan, Cill Dara, Tullamore)

2nd Round – Sunday, 8th February
3rd Round – Sunday 8th March
Semi Final – Sunday 5th April (tbc)
Final – Sunday 26th April (tbc)

METROPOLITAN CUP:

1st Round – Sunday, 1st February:
CYM v Coolmine, Garda v Clontarf, Terenure v Lansdowne, Malahide v Suttonians, Railway Union v Barnhall, DLSP v UCD

2nd Round – Sunday, 8th February:
Terenure / Lansdowne v Greystones, Bective Rangers v Seapoint, Old Belvedere v Dublin University, Old Wesley v St. Mary’s College, Wanderers v Blackrock College, Monkstown v Malahide / Suttonians

3rd Round – Sunday, 8th March
Semi Final – Sunday, 5th April
Final – Sunday, 19th April
white
Bookworm

Re: Towns cup draw

Post by white »

Not too many shocks after the first round...decent win for Newbridge, although they couldnt have got it much worse by drawing Navan in round two! There didnt seem to be too many shocks though, I think Athy beating Edenderry was always on the cards considering how Edenderry's season has gone to date. Clane had a good win in Mullingar, and now have New Ross who beat Arklow which was expected. thats about it!

With the remaining big guns coming in at round two, what are peoples reactions to round one & predictions for round 2?
Not Releasing
Bookworm

Post by Not Releasing »

The 1st round was a damp squip, even though Newbridge are the worst side in Divsion 1 it really shows you the gap that has developed between 1 and 2 as they won comfortably in Roscrea as did Boyne, Portlaoise and Dundalk although Enniscorthy looked like they struggled in Longford, long long trip in fairness. Not expecting any surprises in round 2 either.

Enniscorthy v Skerries - Skerries should win but it's a long trip and will be a close game.
Portlaoise v Cill Dara - Cill Dara are probably the form team in Leinster but this aint the league Portlaoise to win narrowly.
Rathdrum/Co Carlow v Dundalk - Will probably be Dundalk at home to Rathdrum, Dundalk with a big big win.
Navan v Newbridge - Newbridge would be better off staying at home, biggest win of the day for Navan.
Tullamore v Athy - For Athy read Newbridge
Naas/Tullow v Boyne - Will probably be Boyne at home to Tullow. Boyne owe Tullow for last year, home win.
Clane v New Ross - Clane to be the only Kildare team left.
North Kildare/Kilkenny v Ashbourne - Kilkenny to come through.
cdara
Beginner

Post by cdara »

I think my clubmate tries to rile Newbridge to much, the worst team in Division 1 will be judged when the League finishes as the best team last season was judged, A good win for the bridge boys who have most of their pack back and a very young and inexperienced back line as I have been told, totally agree that with their luck this season it was odds on they would draw Navan and so will end their cup run.

To say round 1 was a damp squid is disrespectful to all the teams that took part and is not a view shared by our club, I am sure our only concern is beating the Portlaoise boys next weekend, a tough battle in store for us no doubt but we will be favourites and should prevail but let's not take anything for granted as we did with tullow last season, darkhorses could be boyne for towns cup!
Not Releasing
Bookworm

Post by Not Releasing »

darkhorses could be boyne for towns cup!
I agree but that's my club ya knob and I doubt if Cill Dara is your club either. The 1st round was as predictable as it was boring, the only upset if you could call it that was Athy beating Edenderry. As I said months ago when Boyne hammered Newbridge they were the worst team I have ever seen at this level, their results have proved me right and the league doesn't lie, cold hard facts my internet friend.
groundhog
Knowledgeable

Post by groundhog »

Cdara is not a member of Cill Dara, although he might work in Kildare Village as the idiot...

As for the Towns Cup, interestingly enough if Cill Dara overcome Portlaoise and that's a big if they will be odds on to get a home quarter-final so a massive plus if they win. Very hard game to call...

Anyway I'm imagine the following 7 will join the winners of Portlaoise and Cill Dara in the semi' :- Boyne, Navan, Tullamore, Dundalk, Skerries, Clane and Kilkenny.

Latest odds from PP :- Both Navan and Dara have drifted, some money on Boyne bringing them into 2nd fav...

Navan 3 - 1
Boyne 9 - 2
Cill Dara 6 - 1
Skerries 7 - 1
Tullamore 7 - 1
Dundalk 11 - 1
Portlaoise 16 - 1
Tullow 20 - 1
Clane 20 - 1
Naas 20 - 1
Enniscorthy 25 - 1
Ashbourne 33 - 1
Kilkenny 50 - 1
Athy 50 - 1
New Ross 50 - 1
Carlow 50 - 1
Rathdrum 66 - 1
Newbridge 100 - 1
North Kildare 150 - 1
The French pulled up the Scots' kilts and discovered they had no balls - Zinzan Brooke
cdara
Beginner

Post by cdara »

Not releasing, internet friends we are not but sounds like you are into on line relationships, every one to their own I suppose as i said before we will wait till the league finishes to see who is the worst team in the the league, it is as you say the Newbridge lads at the moment but looking at their fixtures they have Enniscorthy at home and Wicklow to play yet so I wouldn't make them favourites to finish bottom but I could be wrong but the league table will prove it either way AT THE END OF THE SEASON you Knob and you to are entitled to your opinion
8M LEINSTAW
Bookworm

Post by 8M LEINSTAW »

Not Releasing wrote:
darkhorses could be boyne for towns cup!
I agree but that's my club ya knob and I doubt if Cill Dara is your club either. The 1st round was as predictable as it was boring, the only upset if you could call it that was Athy beating Edenderry. As I said months ago when Boyne hammered Newbridge they were the worst team I have ever seen at this level, their results have proved me right and the league doesn't lie, cold hard facts my internet friend.
Groudhog, opinions are like assholes - everyone has one. Also (and I don't think I'm alone on this one) Cill Dara is one of the most opinionated clubs out there - if you catch my drift....
Cubs fan, Bud man.
groundhog
Knowledgeable

Post by groundhog »

Groudhog, opinions are like assholes - everyone has one. Also (and I don't think I'm alone on this one) Cill Dara is one of the most opinionated clubs out there - if you catch my drift....
Eh? Are you dyslexic or just plain dumb, don't drag me into that petty squabble, it has nothing to do with me. Although perhaps two internet warriors arguing over how rubbish Newbridge are has upset you, Newbridge won a game now leave this asshole alone and go read your Eggs and Rashers, funny how they only get published when you win a game.......
The French pulled up the Scots' kilts and discovered they had no balls - Zinzan Brooke
its about winning
Bookworm

Post by its about winning »

Not Releasing wrote:The 1st round was a damp squip, even though Newbridge are the worst side in Divsion 1 it really shows you the gap that has developed between 1 and 2 as they won comfortably in Roscrea as did Boyne, Portlaoise and Dundalk although Enniscorthy looked like they struggled in Longford, long long trip in fairness. Not expecting any surprises in round 2 either.

Enniscorthy v Skerries - Skerries should win but it's a long trip and will be a close game.
Portlaoise v Cill Dara - Cill Dara are probably the form team in Leinster but this aint the league Portlaoise to win narrowly.
Rathdrum/Co Carlow v Dundalk - Will probably be Dundalk at home to Rathdrum, Dundalk with a big big win.
Navan v Newbridge - Newbridge would be better off staying at home, biggest win of the day for Navan.
Tullamore v Athy - For Athy read Newbridge
Naas/Tullow v Boyne - Will probably be Boyne at home to Tullow. Boyne owe Tullow for last year, home win.
Clane v New Ross - Clane to be the only Kildare team left.
North Kildare/Kilkenny v Ashbourne - Kilkenny to come through.

Skerries getting a few players back from injury. Tough trip but hopefully into the quarters. Skerries play Portlaoise on Sunday - I'd say the whole of Cill Dara will be at the match to check up on Portlaoise.
North side living - south side educated
8M LEINSTAW
Bookworm

Post by 8M LEINSTAW »

A hundred thousand apologies. Please replace 'Cill Dara' with 'Boyne & Cill Dara'.

The Eggs and Rashers scribe and the Newbridge RFC webmaster have had some family bereavements lately - hence the intermittant updates, but I'm sure they'll make an exttra special effort for complex characters like you in the future. Go back to your own website - it's as windswept and empty as your grounds - you'll like it there then.
Cubs fan, Bud man.
cdara
Beginner

Post by cdara »

Typical of the ignorance of the seniorr Cill Dara players and coaches when their coach thinks that parents with underage kids playing in Cill Dara are not members! My roots are in Dublin but I live in the kildare area but get dissillusioned by our arrogance towards other clubs and people on this forum. A little humility would go along way but I can't see it happening with some of the contributors!
groundhog
Knowledgeable

Post by groundhog »

:roll:
beechers
Learner

Post by beechers »

rest assured Cill Dara will not be arrogant for much longer the current old bunch are on the way out and Cill Dara can't field a 20's team able to compete so they have to join with Athy. The money will dry up and they wont have the foreign players such as scrum half and centers etc. there is not much of a back line left then. And no 20's to replace the pack!

The public knows the attitude and arrogance in Cill dara and kids will and are joining Nass and Newbridge under their parents influence as a result,
Look at the Nass and Newbridge 20's they would hammer the Cill Dara 20's.....These 2 other south kildare clubs are the future in that locality

wait and see.
Not Releasing
Bookworm

Post by Not Releasing »

Golly you're all very insecure down in Kildare. Groundhog your attracting some right eejits to this forum although to be honest despite winding up Newbridge posters you generally talk a lot sense. It all just sounds a bit like.....

silly punt
Enlightened

Post by silly punt »

cdara wrote:Typical of the ignorance of the seniorr Cill Dara players and coaches when their coach thinks that parents with underage kids playing in Cill Dara are not members! My roots are in Dublin but I live in the kildare area but get dissillusioned by our arrogance towards other clubs and people on this forum. A little humility would go along way but I can't see it happening with some of the contributors!
Where to start?

1) You are not a member if your children are members of the club, your children are, however if you would like to become a member please feel free to contact the secretary or any other member of the executive.

2) You hide behind an internet forum to make these remarks, please make yourself known, come forward and get involved in the running of the club. Volunteers are alway required.

3) The senior players & coaches of Cill Dara you accuse of ignorance are all home grown people who have given years of service to the club & have helped make the club what it is now.

4) If you would like to PM me with your complaints & some examples I will make sure they are dealt with.

Beechers, your comments are so inaccurate they don't warrant a response....
Experience is the name everyone gives to their failures
white
Bookworm

Post by white »

This started off as an interesting chat about the towns cup. Cill Dara are a better side than Newbridge this season, league table doesnt lie...end of story, so would ye leave this petty arguement behind and talk rugby which is what the forum is for. I am not attached to either of these clubs, just basing my opinion on the league table. But the rest of leinster couldnt care less who is a member of what club and who has a better womens under 11 team so leave it out.
8M LEINSTAW
Bookworm

Post by 8M LEINSTAW »

White - we are talking rugby related matters. Nothing wrong with a little rant and excursion every so often. Most of it is in jest, all of mine is at any rate, and brightens up what would otherwise be a pretty dull forum if we were to toe your line.

This kind of thing happens all over Leinsterfans and Munsterfans & makes good reading and usually rights itself pretty quickly to get back to the topic. Just chill and go with the flow. Would I swap my allegience from Newbridge to any other club? No. Would I expect others to switch theirs to Newbridge? No. Is Newbridge, Cill Dara, Boyne, Leinster etc.. the most perfect or most unperfect clubs in the world. Absolutely not - but we're all proud of our clubs and know how to enjoy ourselves on and off the field and winding up each other on forums like these is all part of the process.

Wouldn't you agree Groundhog - you sheep stinking windswept chromosone challenged baxtard? :shock:
Cubs fan, Bud man.
Durkah Durkah
Bookworm

Post by Durkah Durkah »

8M LEINSTAW wrote:
Wouldn't you agree Groundhog - you sheep stinking windswept chromosone challenged baxtard? :shock:
What's a chromosone? Are they the things in Gemetics?

Anywho, what is exciting about this years Towns Cup is that there are a number of possible winners. The last couple of years were boring. It could be a return to the likes of Tullamore v Wicklow in '06. Navan are looking a bit nervous and need to concentrate on the league. Going senior must be the priority (and I hope they are successful). Cill Dara, Tullamore, Boyne, Skerries or Dundalk could all do it, draw depending obviously. Portlaoise can never be discounted either due to their annual influx/return of players for the cup (shame they are not interested in the league). Exciting stuff.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Long time viewer first time contributor! Have to agree with 8mm everybody on here will always defend and stick up for their own club, each club over the years will have its ups and downs and neighbouring clubs be it in Dublin, Louth. Meath, Kildare, Laois or Carlow all love to have bragging rights on each other that is the nature of sport. This is a very entertaining forum and I have to say it is at its best when the Kildare lads are involved always good for a laugh in these depressing times, so as long as it doesn't get to personal keep it up lads,!! we all love it secretly !! maybe a few more of us outside kildare should bash our neighbours in a friendly way of course!! :happy clapper: :happy clapper: