Towns cup draw

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Xplosive
Learner

Re: Towns cup draw

Post by Xplosive »

All Towns Cup games off as far as i know......
white
Bookworm

Post by white »

When have the round two games been rescheduled for?
jimmy the bone
Bookworm

Post by jimmy the bone »

As far as I know it has been rescheduled for the 8th of March
Enter the Dragon
silly punt
Enlightened

Post by silly punt »

jimmy the bone wrote:As far as I know it has been rescheduled for the 8th of March
Who said Newbridge's season would not reach the second week in March? :wink:
Experience is the name everyone gives to their failures
Celticfir
Beginner

Post by Celticfir »

It might be a very different draw than ye all expect...Navan are all over the place after losing ther big no 8 .... mix up over work permit i hear.. Newbridge have nothing to lose, and they have very unlucky in a lot of their games. in Rory Mcann and jonny Downey they have 2 of the best pack members in leinster.. bar none.. they only need belief ... and im far from a newbridge man.. have officated a bit over there in last few years... played there in Old Kilcullen days.. always found them sound enough. As for this sh!t squabling over who has braging rights ... every dog has its day and nows its Daras turn... not too long ago they were washing in a horse trough... through great foresight and a good buissness plan they are where they are today.... pity our crowd in Leinster house would have a little of there buissness brains..... sorry about the long rant... good luck to all out LOCAL CLUBS........... Will leave Naas out of that one though as they walk on water!!!!!!!!
white
Bookworm

Post by white »

What are peoples reactions to the games & quaterfinal draw over the weekend?

Tullamore & Athy looked pretty close, havent heard anything about it. Good wins for Enniscorthy, great win for Cill Dara in Portlaoise and another div 2 scalp for North Kildare.

The quater final draw looks good, great draws for both Clane & North Kildare. Clane had a good win at the weekend too but doesnt look like North Kildare is an easy place to go so all to play for and obviously the winner here will be the draw everybody else will want in the semi's! Boyne and Cill Dara looks too close to call, il say Boyne with home advantage. Navan to scrape past Dundalk, Tullamore to win and toss of a coin in the other one but Clane to shade it i think.

Absolute disgrace of the timing of the fixtures, junior clubs arent given a thought when the fixtures are being arranged, yet again being asked to play on a six nations weekend. Any chances the games will be moved to lunchtime Saturday kick offs?
jimmy the bone
Bookworm

Post by jimmy the bone »

silly punt wrote:
jimmy the bone wrote:As far as I know it has been rescheduled for the 8th of March
With our 20's scheduled to play Trinity in the cup the 5th of April we'll be playing in April too. Perhaps even the May bank holiday weekend should they make the cup final.
Enter the Dragon
silly punt
Enlightened

Post by silly punt »

jimmy the bone wrote:
silly punt wrote:
With our 20's scheduled to play Trinity in the cup the 5th of April we'll be playing in April too. Perhaps even the May bank holiday weekend should they make the cup final.
And if you do make the May Bank Holiday weekend Jim, I will be one of the first there... 8)
white
Bookworm

Post by white »

Dundalk, Tullamore, Boyne & Clane...i think its fair to say that its slightly unexpected not to have Navan there. Well done to Dundalk, excellent win & now the cup is wide open. Boyne will be favourites and rightly so but at the semi final stage anything can happen.

As a Kildare man, I didnt expect Clane to be the last Kildare team in the hat but well done to them and I hope they go all the way.

Any reports from any of the games yesterday? Enniscorthy musnt have showed up in Tullamore, good win for Boyne and huge victory for Dundalk.
Lillywhite

Post by Lillywhite »

Was present at the North Kildare V Clane quarter final. As a neutral Kildare rugby supporter my congrats to Clane and commiserations to North Kildare. As expected a tight cup game between two close rivals which finished 15 - 11. I wish Clane the very best of luck in the semis as a representative of Kildare Rugby I really do hope they go on to win it and have every chance of doing so. If there was anyone at the match maybe you might have some comments regarding what seemed to be some very harsh decisions towards the end of the match. There seemed to be quite a lot of penalties and free kicks awarded to the home side and from the side line I couldn't see what a lot of the infringements where for.
John Kinsella
Beginner

Post by John Kinsella »

I was also present at the Quarter final game with Clane against North Kildare.

I must say the Clane are definately the surprise package this year. Their attacking flare was there for all to see and were absolutely devastating in the first half and were in complete control of the match.
Big mentions must go to the Likes of Brian Conroy and David Doran who were both immense at the breakdown and in the loose.

The Ref had an absolute shocker in the second half and blew Clane off the pitch with penalties and free kicks for no apparant reason. And two sin binnings for very minor infringments.

A great win at the end of the day and only a foolish man would bet against an upset in the Semi's.
louthmouth

Post by louthmouth »

look lads clane are a mid table div. 2 side who beat a div 3 side. I actually fear for their safety.The only question here is who boyne play in the final and i think that will be our neighbours dundalk which should make a cracking final.
Not Releasing
Bookworm

Post by Not Releasing »

Here's the Boyne v Cill Dara match report, it's a fair call and we don't know how we won just more clinical on the day I suppose and unlike the mouth there will be no one in Boyne under-estimating Clane....

1st XV 23 Cill Dara 13 (Newstalk Provincial Towns Cup)
Mon, 03/16/2009 - 07:49 — Seamie Briscoe
This was the second meeting of these sides this season at Shamrock Lodge. They met earlier in the season in the league and the supporters of Boyne reckoned that this was the best match seen at the Lodge this season. However, last Sundays game turned that on its head and there could be little doubt that this game had all the ingredients a rugby purist could possibly need. Those who turned out to see this game, and they were considerable, enjoyed a top class display of football that saw the two sides out on their feet at the end of the game. This was because they had given their all in the 80 minutes plus the 10 minutes, in total, added on for injury time at the end of each half.
The scoreline of 23pts to 13pts is somewhat flattering to Boyne because their opponents certainly had chances to reduce this scoreline significantly. In fact they had clear runs to the line on two occasions and messed up each time with a knock on and forward pass. That said, the home team deserved their win because they took three opportunities that produced tries of excellent quality.
The game opened with Cill Dara taking the lead with a Houlihan penalty with just two minutes on the clock. This score resulted from a Boyne player playing the ball in an offside position. Full back Kerby collected the ball just outside his own 22’ and took the ball up before he chipped the Cill Dara advancing players. However, a team mate gathered from in an offside position and gave Cill Dara the penalty. This score stung the home side into action and from the drop out they won the ball and the forwards took it through a series of phases before McGrath released his backs out wide on the right. Incisive running from out half Collins and second centre Duffy released winger Sherrard who streaked away to score in the corner. Kerby missed with the conversion attempt. Cill Dara had the slight breeze in their backs in this half but, like Boyne, they chose to keep ball in hand to make advances. With the two sides intent on similar styles of playing running rugby, this made for a smashing encounter. The frenetic pace of the game was sure to throw up mistakes but again, this added to the excitement. Aligned to this sustained passages of very skilful rugby. Both sets of backs were moving the ball at every opportunity and Cill Dara had the first of their gilt edge chances of going in for a try. Their impressive centre, Va’ Enuku made a telling break up the middle. The Boyne backs were drawn in and Cill Dara had numbers out wide. Having done all the hard work, they managed to mess it up with the line at their mercy. A lineout was the result to Boyne who cleared the danger. Cill Dara did manage to regain the lead from the resultant lineout, when Houlahan landed his second penalty on the 20th minute. This came from a ruck that saw Boyne enter from the side in midfield 20mts out.
From the drop out Boyne again went on the attack and brought play almost up to the Cill Dara 22’. Kerby had a good run halted just short of the Cill Dara 22’ and was adjudged to have held on after the tackle. His difference of opinion with the official earned him a yellow card. Cill Dara cleared from the penalty and brought play into the Boyne half. The visitors failed to capitalise on their numerical advantage for the ten minutes and Kerby arrived back on the pitch just in time to land another Boyne penalty on the 33rd minute. The home side regained the lead on 8pts to 6pts. With their full complement back on the field Boyne were still under pressure with Cill Dara driving them into their own 22’. They lost the ball and McGrath ran wide before giving a long pass to centre Bevan Duffy. He streaked leaving the Cill Dara winger and centre in his wake. He got as far as the opponents 22’ before he was confronted by the covering opposite Cill Dara winger who knocked down his infield pass. The ball went loose and the referee allowed the advantage when Ritchie Downey picked up and ran the rest of the way to the line for a breakaway try. Kerby missed with the conversion. This score must have broken Cill Dara hearts who now trailed 13pts to 6pts. This was the half time score.
Cill Dara restarted the second half and their drop out failed to cross the 10 metre line. Despite this it was clear that they meant business in the opening minutes. Boyne’s defence stood resilient and weathered the early threat posed by the determined Cill Dara. The crucial score of the game came on the 9th minute of the second half. Boyne took play into the visitors 22’ and forced a scrum. Their outstanding No. 8, Eoin Collins, picked from the base. With the Cill Dara back row duped into thinking that he would offload to his scrum half, McGrath who peeled off the scrum, he chose the direct route and went through the gap to cross for the try. Kerby converted. This score left a mountain to climb for Cill Dara and was decisive for Boyne. However, the men from Kildare are made of stern stuff and they did not succumb and brought themselves right back into the game with a superb try. This came from good work by their forwards who were patient in controlling the ball through the phases. They finally made the breakthrough when they found a way through the Boyne defence. Houlahan converted to leave only a converted try between the sides. Another crucial turning point for Cill Dara was the ten minute needless sin binning incurred by their No. 8, Chris Moore, midway through the second half. With 15 minutes to go, Cill Dara found another chink in Boyne’s defence and again streaked away to what seemed an inevitable score. Another dreadful pass saw the chance evaporate and Boyne breathed yet another sigh of relief. A Kerby penalty 2 minutes later effectively ended the visitors aspirations.
This was a stirring encounter between two sides who finished in the top four in the league. Sportsmanship was at a premium as was the standard of rugby played by both teams.
Boyne XV & Repls: Cillian Duffy, Brendan Muldowney, Paddy Cooney (Laurence McEvoy 50th min); Paddy Muldowney, Ian O’Reilly; Nico Vorster (John O’Callaghan 70th min), Eoin Collins; Craig McGrath (Captain & Coach), Brian Collins; Brian Howell, Ritchie Downey, Bevan Duffy, Adam Sherrard (Paul Rice 70th min); Niall Kerby. Not used, Patrick Shuttleworth, George Kennedy.
white
Bookworm

Post by white »

Thats a very arrogant view louthmouth. Boyne are clearly favourites for semi-final and probably the cup over all, but Clane beat too good div 2 sides and a decent div 3 side on the way to the semi's and do deserve credit. They can only beat whats put in front of them. It will obviously be difficult for Boyne players not to get giddy and start thinking about finals but if they beat Clane, whether by 1 or 50 points, they will get a good test from the Kildare men who are in the semi's on merit.

In relation to the Dundalk Tullamore game, that promises to be a very good game, and one which I see Dundalk shading I think.

Any idea for the venues for the 2 games yet? Ashbourne & Cill Dara maybe?
louthmouth

Post by louthmouth »

I tell it like it is white,we both agree its a boyne dundalk final I just didnt bother patronising clane
silly punt
Enlightened

Post by silly punt »

white wrote:Thats a very arrogant view louthmouth. Boyne are clearly favourites for semi-final and probably the cup over all, but Clane beat too good div 2 sides and a decent div 3 side on the way to the semi's and do deserve credit. They can only beat whats put in front of them. It will obviously be difficult for Boyne players not to get giddy and start thinking about finals but if they beat Clane, whether by 1 or 50 points, they will get a good test from the Kildare men who are in the semi's on merit.

In relation to the Dundalk Tullamore game, that promises to be a very good game, and one which I see Dundalk shading I think.

Any idea for the venues for the 2 games yet? Ashbourne & Cill Dara maybe?
The rumour is a double header in Navan on the 29th.
white
Bookworm

Post by white »

louthmouth wrote:I tell it like it is white,we both agree its a boyne dundalk final I just didnt bother patronising clane
Thats fair enough but Clane are a small club with a small player base and my point is, credit where it is due, they are in the semi's on merit and I feel they will give a good account of themselves.
silly punt
Enlightened

Post by silly punt »

Super Sunday" announced for Towns Cup Semi Finals...

This is a unique occasion when both the crucial Magners League Leinster v Ulster tie as well as one of the highlights of the Domestic rugby season, the Towns Cup Semi Finals, were scheduled to overlap...
Normally the Towns Cup semi finals are held at Provincial venues but the overlap posed scheduling problems.

Leinster Rugby has decided to combine both events at nearby locations in order to showcase the best that Domestic Rugby has to offer to a wider, and maybe a new audience.

Patrons that attend the Towns Cup Semi Finals will be encouraged to go to the RDS afterwards with discounted tickets.

All four teams will be introduced at half time in the RDS and there will be various forms of entertainment laid on during the Donnybrook double header with some of Leinster's Irish internationals in attendance.

"Super Sunday" promises to be a tremendous day of rugby on Sunday, March 29th, showcasing side-by-side all that is best in both the Professional and Domestic game in Leinster.

Admission Special -
€30 for all 3 games (save €10)
€10 for Donnybrook doubleheader
"SUPER SUNDAY"

NEWSTALK PROVINCIAL TOWNS CUP - SEMI FINALS (Donnybrook)

BOYNE v CLANE (1.30pm)
TULLAMORE v DUNDALK (3:30pm)

&

MAGNERS LEAGUE (RDS)

LEINSTER v ULSTER (5.30pm)

Parking available nearby in Merrion Cricket Club (from 1pm) and Old Belvedere RFC (from 2:30pm)
Xplosive
Learner

Post by Xplosive »

silly punt wrote:Leinster Rugby has decided to combine both events at nearby locations in order to showcase the best that Domestic Rugby has to offer to a wider, and maybe a new audience.
In other words the branch now gets the gate money that would have gone to two provincial clubs.......sounds like a great way to support provincial rugby. Hosting a semi final like this could be the difference between a club being in the red or the black for a season.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Xplosive wrote:
silly punt wrote:Leinster Rugby has decided to combine both events at nearby locations in order to showcase the best that Domestic Rugby has to offer to a wider, and maybe a new audience.
In other words the branch now gets the gate money that would have gone to two provincial clubs.......sounds like a great way to support provincial rugby. Hosting a semi final like this could be the difference between a club being in the red or the black for a season.
I dont think they would have got the gate money though would they. Is is not practise that all rounds up to and including Q/F go to host clubs and S/F & F go to the organising authority.

I could be wrong but it makes sense as that is how the competition pays for itself.
Get in the f%~king bag.