Senior J2 Counties Cup

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

gleesonisgod
Mullet

Re: Senior J2 Counties Cup

Post by gleesonisgod »

Not Releasing wrote:Great concept poorly run, play the early games under lights during the Autumn Internationals and play the semi and finals at Christmas.

Kildare, Louth and Meath if they were bothered and had full selection would probably put 40 points or more on any J2 selection from Dublin, likewise South Dublin if Monkstown and Seapoint committed. The Premier League clubs had no interest the last couple of seasons as most are involved in the AIB, Towns Cup or Metro Cup latter stages.
Rubbish. The Dublin seniors team was thrown together last minute. If you actually got all the best players available at Metro J2 they would be the strongest team in it. Junior clubs do well in the Metro but tend to struggle in the O'Connell cup and it's a J2 selection not J1.
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

Double post
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
Not Releasing
Bookworm

Post by Not Releasing »

It's a J1 competition for Counties, have no idea why the Senior Clubs J2s were included maybe to satisfy the usual moaning from the senior clubs. How you think a team combination of Dundalk and Boyne J1s wouldn't beat a J2 selection is beyond me ffs Kenny Dorian is a dual status prop from Dundalk starting for Clontarf, they would probably be at least 10 current or ex Leinster Juniors starting, perhaps you just don't realise how strong rugby is outside the M50. Tullamore, Navan, Cill Dara and Seapoint have regularly competed in the Leinster Senior Cup performing well against Div 1 and 2 clubs and beating Division 3 clubs. Most of their players have played senior and are now just to play with their local clubs.
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

Not Releasing wrote:It's a J1 competition for Counties, have no idea why the Senior Clubs J2s were included maybe to satisfy the usual moaning from the senior clubs. How you think a team combination of Dundalk and Boyne J1s wouldn't beat a J2 selection is beyond me ffs Kenny Dorian is a dual status prop from Dundalk starting for Clontarf, they would probably be at least 10 current or ex Leinster Juniors starting, perhaps you just don't realise how strong rugby is outside the M50. Tullamore, Navan, Cill Dara and Seapoint have regularly competed in the Leinster Senior Cup performing well against Div 1 and 2 clubs and beating Division 3 clubs. Most of their players have played senior and are now just to play with their local clubs.
What do senior clubs moan about?

Not being smart here but are you saying that the other counties teams are made up of(or are supposed to be made up of) firsts players? I thought the whole concept was that it was a J2 thing?

And there are probably 4 or 5 players in each Dublin Senior J2 team that have played AIL and always at least one that should currently be so I'm sure there's enough experience there to match the Leinster juniors lads.

Whoever yer man Dorian is isn't really a valid point. He's playing AIL so it's not like he's eligible. Shane Horgan is dual status for a Junior club too but I couldn't see him togging out.

Also Leinster Senior Cup group games don't count. Those(AIL) teams are always prodominantly made up of J1s players.
Not Releasing
Bookworm

Post by Not Releasing »

Pointless discussion as it's a pointless competition and can't be arsed to discuss the merits of J1 and J2.
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

Not Releasing wrote:Pointless discussion as it's a pointless competition and can't be arsed to discuss the merits of J1 and J2.
Begs the question why you started said pointless discussion then doesn't it smart arse?
Not Releasing
Bookworm

Post by Not Releasing »

I didn't start the discussion just offered an opinion but when someone who didn't even realise that it was J1 comp and feels Metro J2 players are better than Leinster League J1, well then what's there to discuss, and there's one wondering how Seapoint have won three I think of the last 5 metro cups, amazing really.
silly punt
Enlightened

Post by silly punt »

gleesonisgod wrote:
Not Releasing wrote:Great concept poorly run, play the early games under lights during the Autumn Internationals and play the semi and finals at Christmas.

Kildare, Louth and Meath if they were bothered and had full selection would probably put 40 points or more on any J2 selection from Dublin, likewise South Dublin if Monkstown and Seapoint committed. The Premier League clubs had no interest the last couple of seasons as most are involved in the AIB, Towns Cup or Metro Cup latter stages.
Rubbish. The Dublin seniors team was thrown together last minute. If you actually got all the best players available at Metro J2 they would be the strongest team in it. Junior clubs do well in the Metro but tend to struggle in the O'Connell cup and it's a J2 selection not J1.
Thats clearly a ridiculous statement, Seapoints record in the Metro disproves that straight away. The timing of this competition rules out most of the top clubs players, for example, Navan who won the League & got promoted to the AIL had none of their first team squad available to Meath, Tullamore who won the AIB Junior Cup had no players available to Offaly, Boyne who finished 3rd in the league & won the Towns Cup had no players first team players available to Louth & Cill Dara who finished 4th in the league had no players involved with Kildare.

And you also wrong, it is a J1 selection for provincial counties & J2 for Dublin purely because of numbers....
Experience is the name everyone gives to their failures
rughead
Beginner

Post by rughead »

silly punt wrote:
gleesonisgod wrote:

Thats clearly a ridiculous statement, Seapoints record in the Metro disproves that straight away. The timing of this competition rules out most of the top clubs players, for example, Navan who won the League & got promoted to the AIL had none of their first team squad available to Meath, Tullamore who won the AIB Junior Cup had no players available to Offaly, Boyne who finished 3rd in the league & won the Towns Cup had no players first team players available to Louth & Cill Dara who finished 4th in the league had no players involved with Kildare.

And you also wrong, it is a J1 selection for provincial counties & J2 for Dublin purely because of numbers....

There seemed to be a good few Navan socks out for Meath against the Dublin team when I was watching the game up at Templeville road! The standard of that game was very high good game to watch, who's in the final I think the dublin team made it who are they playing against?
Pure Rugby Head
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Think they play the winners of North Dublin v Westmeath
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

I see Dublin seniors won.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

gleesonisgod wrote:I see Dublin seniors won.

It'll be a hard task to convince the counties to take part next year in that case.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Soundgav2
Learner

Post by Soundgav2 »

Leinsterman wrote:

It'll be a hard task to convince the counties to take part next year in that case.
I'd hope that the senior clubs participation might make the Counties teams more eager to reclaim the title. A bit of rivalry/chip on the shoulder stuff might give the competition a shot in the arm. As a competition, I think it's a great idea and hopefully it can be timed better next year so teams don't suffer too much from unavailability/late withdrawals.
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

Soundgav2 wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:

I'd hope that the senior clubs participation might make the Counties teams more eager to reclaim the title. A bit of rivalry/chip on the shoulder stuff might give the competition a shot in the arm. As a competition, I think it's a great idea and hopefully it can be timed better next year so teams don't suffer too much from unavailability/late withdrawals.
+1
Not Releasing
Bookworm

Post by Not Releasing »

It's a very congested Calender next season and the top Junior Clubs Seapoint, Boyne, Cill Dara and Tullamore are looking at a 25 minimum game season. Ideally you need the Premier League Clubs and coaches to buy into it and appoint these coaches to coach the county teams, straight away South Dublin, Louth, Kildare, North Dublin, Laois and Offaly will take it a lot more serious. They could play the 1st two rounds over Chistmas, scheduled the semi-finals for Feb and the final before a Mangers League game in March.

It's only 4 games max for any county, the concept is great but just very poorly managed and run.
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

no.15
Beginner

Post by no.15 »

why is there now wicklow team???
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

They could have at least got the teamsheets up.... :roll:
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on