Senior J2 Counties Cup

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

tate
Shane Horgan

Senior J2 Counties Cup

Post by tate »

anybody have any idea what this is? Is it serious or a piss-up or a bit of both etc
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Re: Senior J2 Counties Cup

Post by Darce »

never heard of it.

Any links to fixtures/info etc?
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

i got an email about it, but cant find anything about it anywhere, i was hoping someone here would have heard about it before. Training tomorrow night should be interesting
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

apparently tis a new team/thing
rugby678
Learner

Post by rugby678 »

Its to do with the Counties Cup a combined team from all senior clubs is being allowed to enter,
but the players have to come from their j2 or below teams.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

rugby678 wrote:Its to do with the Counties Cup a combined team from all senior clubs is being allowed to enter,
So the Senior Clubs, from J2 down, play in a combined team against other senior teams in their county in a county championship? A la the GAA?

When does it begin?
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

That sounds AWESOME!!!!! Never heard of it though. I'd say they could struggle to get it up and running if it's this badly publicised.
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
Soundgav2
Learner

Post by Soundgav2 »

rugby678 wrote:Its to do with the Counties Cup a combined team from all senior clubs is being allowed to enter,
Correct except for the "or below" part. As I understand it (and I'm involved!), it's composite (by county e.g. Kildare, Fingal, South Dublin etc.) J1 teams from Junior clubs in the competition. This is the first year Senior clubs have been permitted entry and this was on the condition that their composite team was J2 level.

Senior clubs were asked to nominate J2 players (some did, some aren't taking part) and the first training session is tonight.

Senior Clubs J2 have been drawn at home to Kildare, to be played on/after 25th March. Competition begins at 1/4 final stage.
rugby678
Learner

Post by rugby678 »

Soundgav2 wrote:
Correct except for the "or below" part. As I understand it (and I'm involved!), it's composite (by county e.g. Kildare, Fingal, South Dublin etc.) J1 teams from Junior clubs in the competition. This is the first year Senior clubs have been permitted entry and this was on the condition that their composite team was J2 level.

Senior clubs were asked to nominate J2 players (some did, some aren't taking part) and the first training session is tonight.

Senior Clubs J2 have been drawn at home to Kildare, to be played on/after 25th March. Competition begins at 1/4 final stage.

No it is "below" anyone from a senior club is allowed take part once they hav'nt played above J2, The other teams can be made up of J1 and below, Meath's team will be and has been in the past made up of the 4 clubs in Meath and 2 of them only play J3.
Soundgav2
Learner

Post by Soundgav2 »

rugby678 wrote:
Soundgav2 wrote:

No it is "below" anyone from a senior club is allowed take part once they hav'nt played above J2, The other teams can be made up of J1 and below, Meath's team will be and has been in the past made up of the 4 clubs in Meath and 2 of them only play J3.
Fair enough. We're looking forward to be involved. It's a great format.
silly punt
Enlightened

Post by silly punt »

gleesonisgod wrote:That sounds AWESOME!!!!! Never heard of it though. I'd say they could struggle to get it up and running if it's this badly publicised.
This competition has been running for 2 years now iirc, Kildare won it the first year, I'm not sure who won it last year. A lot depnds on how clubs are doing in the area, eg Meath wont be to strong this year as Navan will be playing in the round robin & wont release their players.
Experience is the name everyone gives to their failures
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Fingal won it last year.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Soundgav2
Learner

Post by Soundgav2 »

Senior Dublin Clubs v Kildare, St. Mary's College RFC, Templeville Road, Tonight at 8.00
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Fingal were due to play Louth this Friday but Louth aren't ready to participate.
Also, there are players still involved in club competitions and this is affecting the South Dublin v Offaly match.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Soundgav2
Learner

Post by Soundgav2 »

Senior Dublin Clubs (or whatever we're called) beat Kildare 26-12 last night.

Good game with both sides playing at a very high level.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Leinsterman wrote:Fingal won it last year.
Who are they made up of though? Coolmine, Malahide, Balbriggan, Swords and who else?
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

Dublin senior beat Offaly fairly comprehensively. Don't know the score but it was around 40 odd to 13.
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
Soundgav2
Learner

Post by Soundgav2 »

Looks like Final will be on Wednesday 29th.
Not Releasing
Bookworm

Post by Not Releasing »

Great concept poorly run, play the early games under lights during the Autumn Internationals and play the semi and finals at Christmas.

Kildare, Louth and Meath if they were bothered and had full selection would probably put 40 points or more on any J2 selection from Dublin, likewise South Dublin if Monkstown and Seapoint committed. The Premier League clubs had no interest the last couple of seasons as most are involved in the AIB, Towns Cup or Metro Cup latter stages.
white
Bookworm

Post by white »

Which Kildare clubs were represented on the team? I assume it was backboned by Newbridge, Cill Dara & Clane?