Sunday Club Rugby

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Sunday Rugby Move it or leave it where it is?

Leave it be sunday is ok!
16%
move it to Saturdays, Fridays or Midweek!(under lights where needed)
71%
Anything but Sundays
13%

Total votes: 56

garr17
Knowledgeable

Sunday Club Rugby

Post by garr17 »

Sunday Club Rugby

The likes of J1 and J3 rugby should it be moved to saturday/firday nights or mid-week fixtures were possible to facilitate more players.

As you all might be aware a huge problem facing clubs at junior level is getting players for sunday rugby,

those of you who have/play sun rugby wwill know it can be a huge pain somtimes and can really affect your teams attendance.

I know for one in my club at least 15 players refused to play sunday rugby and dropped down a level to play saturday rugby is this the answer?

Blackrock for example have no j3 team!!!!!

Also because of this clontarf try to play all their home fixture's mid week or on friday under lights!!!

thoughts?
SEXTON IS A GOD!!!!!
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Re: Sunday Club Rugby

Post by Darce »

Midweek and or Firday night/saturday rugby really is the only way forward.

Infrastructurally though, its a huge ask. Not everyone has lights for example. I know Rock don't and if you have an AIL game, J2 and a J3 and or J4 game on a saturday you're snookered for pitch space
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

i'd like to see it moved. often i'll have a game on a sunday, meaning you can do nothing that weekend, can't go out friday or saturday...and even sunday after the game, with the new licensing laws it doesn't give you much time. i voted under lights on a wed/fri. problem is though, not every club has flood lights and they're very expensive to install
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
Xplosive
Learner

Post by Xplosive »

Lads Junior players should be playing their rugby on a saturday so they can go out saturday night and have a social life. The senior players are the ones who should be playing on a sunday and sacrificing their saturday night social life as they are the ones who take their rugby more seriously and in some cases are getting a few quid for it.

As for floodlights, at the moment your talking around €100k, the IRFU were doing interest free loans for floodlights. Anyone know if this is still going on. €100k for a club interest free over 10 years is not a huge amount of money.
Not Releasing
Bookworm

Post by Not Releasing »

The Leinster League Premier League J1 or the Top 8 will play there rugby on Saturdays next season. Division 1,2 and 3 will still play on a Sunday and will eventually move to Sunday if all goes well over the next few years. Those teams with lights Skerries, Portlaoise, Seapoint, Cill Dara, Tullamore, Dundalk can schedule games for Friday or Saturday nights if they so wish. Their J2 sides will all play on a Saturday as well.
garr17
Knowledgeable

Post by garr17 »

Xplosive wrote:Lads Junior players should be playing their rugby on a saturday so they can go out saturday night and have a social life. The senior players are the ones who should be playing on a sunday and sacrificing their saturday night social life as they are the ones who take their rugby more seriously and in some cases are getting a few quid for it.

As for floodlights, at the moment your talking around €100k, the IRFU were doing interest free loans for floodlights. Anyone know if this is still going on. €100k for a club interest free over 10 years is not a huge amount of money.
completely agree with this sunday rugby for senior/1st's would makemore sense I feel it might even draw more crowds. one thing is though I'd say the rugby clubs want them on a saturday to get the takings from a late bar after a club win.

a few years ago J3 rugby was played on saturdays it had great numbers!!!

bring on friday night lights were possible their is some issues around certain clubs and this but I am sure agreemtns can b sorted by LB or between clubs
SEXTON IS A GOD!!!!!
HUCKER RUCKER
Beginner

Post by HUCKER RUCKER »

J3 sunday metro league this year 2 groups, 15 teams I think (and country teams drafted in to make up numbers) J4 metro saturday league this year 4 groups, 30 teams I think. J3 moran cup this year 13 teams because played on a sunday. J4 winters cup 29 teams played on a saturday. Same clubs should be involved in both most club players want to play saturday, some lads in my club barnhall wont play J3 because its on a sunday and want a social life and J4 is just as good anyway. Tough one, but I dont think clubs would be able to field seperate AIL, J1, J2, J3 and J4 teams at the same time at different venues, the subs on one team usually start for the immediate lower team. At least players get to play with matches on different times and days.
garr17
Knowledgeable

Post by garr17 »

HUCKER RUCKER wrote:J3 sunday metro league this year 2 groups, 15 teams I think (and country teams drafted in to make up numbers) J4 metro saturday league this year 4 groups, 30 teams I think. J3 moran cup this year 13 teams because played on a sunday. J4 winters cup 29 teams played on a saturday. Same clubs should be involved in both most club players want to play saturday, some lads in my club barnhall wont play J3 because its on a sunday and want a social life and J4 is just as good anyway. Tough one, but I dont think clubs would be able to field seperate AIL, J1, J2, J3 and J4 teams at the same time at different venues, the subs on one team usually start for the immediate lower team. At least players get to play with matches on different times and days.
RUBBISH THATS ONLY the case with he 1'sts who will sub and play J1's

otherwise

j2's down to j4's/5's there is veryl ittle movement between the teams!

most clubs have 3 pitches minmun two! I thikn with a bit of organisation it would work
rememebr the firsts have some big breaks during their season and i think the stats you have above says it all thats sunday rugby is a dying breed!!!!

st. marys terenure clontarf all major dublin clubs struggling for J3's players

blackrock dont even ahve a team!

wesley trinity ucd monkstown skerries dont have what i would calll a team worth playing
SEXTON IS A GOD!!!!!
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

garr17 wrote:
HUCKER RUCKER wrote:J3 sunday metro league this year 2 groups, 15 teams I think (and country teams drafted in to make up numbers) J4 metro saturday league this year 4 groups, 30 teams I think. J3 moran cup this year 13 teams because played on a sunday. J4 winters cup 29 teams played on a saturday. Same clubs should be involved in both most club players want to play saturday, some lads in my club barnhall wont play J3 because its on a sunday and want a social life and J4 is just as good anyway. Tough one, but I dont think clubs would be able to field seperate AIL, J1, J2, J3 and J4 teams at the same time at different venues, the subs on one team usually start for the immediate lower team. At least players get to play with matches on different times and days.

otherwise

most clubs have 3 pitches minmun two! I thikn with a bit of organisation it would work
rememebr the firsts have some big breaks during their season and i think the stats you have above says it all thats sunday rugby is a dying breed!!!!

wesley trinity ucd monkstown skerries dont have what i would calll a team worth playing
I think it could work too, but you could be looking at games kicking off pre 12 o'clock and then maybe under lights at 4.30 after and AIL game...
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
garr17
Knowledgeable

Post by garr17 »

I would kick off at 10 on saturday just so i dont have to play on sunday
SEXTON IS A GOD!!!!!
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

garr17 wrote:I would kick off at 10 on saturday just so i dont have to play on sunday
me too
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
HUCKER RUCKER
Beginner

Post by HUCKER RUCKER »

garr17 wrote:

otherwise

we have movement between teams, J3 subs do play J4 on a regular basis for instance, they know they're only subbing the next day and want to play. I would love everyone to play Saturdays, would be a great night in the clubhouse but smaller clubs have to cater for their youths and minis as well, dont have pitches all the time available.
white
Bookworm

Post by white »

There is also the issue of referees. If all junior games were moved to Saturdays there wouldnt be enough refs to cater for them I presume? I am all for Saturday rugby, get the AIL games moved to Sundays, as somebody mentioned earlier, they take the game more seriously and so they should give up their weekend more so than junior players. I am speaking from a Leinster League prospective, I dont know much about the junior scene in Dublin leagues.
Helium54
Learner

Post by Helium54 »

I am all for Saturday rugby, get the AIL games moved to Sundays, as somebody mentioned earlier, they take the game more seriously and so they should give up their weekend more so than junior players.
All well and good in theory but at AIL level the amount of travelling is way more, the hits are harder and expecting a player to go to work after only getting back home late the previous evening with no recovery is a bit unfair.

The one thing about the plan next year to play Metro J1 and the Premier Division is that it will extremely limit the chances of subs at Senior clubs and more or less kil of Dual Status players - at least for the first half of the season.
garr17
Knowledgeable

Post by garr17 »

you could leave ail on saturdays and work other games around them

with regards to the refs i highly doubt refs would ref more then one game a weekend unless they are tryin to move up through the ranks

youth and mini rugby is played on a sunday in dublin so there's no problem with that at all

sure we'll see what happens you never know
SEXTON IS A GOD!!!!!
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

The other main problem is the number of referees available. There simply aren't enough of them. Hence why the matches are spread out over the weekend.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Not10
Beginner

Post by Not10 »

well your wish has come through....

from Next season..All J3 games will be played on friday nights where clubs have the facilities to do so....if not back to sundays!
garr17
Knowledgeable

Post by garr17 »

I dreamed about this day for so long cant beleive it has happened wooo1!!!
SEXTON IS A GOD!!!!!
Cheers
Beginner

Post by Cheers »

New move makes a huge amount of sense, playign u20's rugby on a Sunday suits as the majority of people playing are students.

I know of 2/3 clubs who have restarted their J3 teams because of this although it has been hard as many club's have formed a cosy clique within the club at J4 level so getting players aint that easy. Although I've heard training numbers across clubs has been very good so far
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

eh, whats with all the i dont play on sundays stuff? is there something on on sundays that im missing out on? its telly day in my house