Schools Rugby 2009-10 - SCT

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: Schools Rugby 2009-10 - SCT

Post by Donny B. »

the spoofer wrote:
Donny B. wrote:I've only seen him a couple of times but could CWC fullback Stephen MacAuley be the next Andrew Conway?
If Conway plays like he did against Wales then I hope not, otherwise Macauleys future is bleak.

By the way, he is an Ulster lad.
You seem very keen to write Conway off after one poor match. He played well in other other championship games (including two tries against England) and did well in his two appearances for Leinster. Statements like "I never want to see him playing fullback again" are a bit over the top for a 18 year old no?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Donny B. wrote:
the spoofer wrote:
Donny B. wrote:I've only seen him a couple of times but could CWC fullback Stephen MacAuley be the next Andrew Conway?
If Conway plays like he did against Wales then I hope not, otherwise Macauleys future is bleak.

You seem very keen to write Conway off after one poor match. He played well in other other championship games (including two tries against England) and did well in his two appearances for Leinster. Statements like "I never want to see him playing fullback again" are a bit over the top for a 18 year old no?
Macken had a drab game against Wales too.
But don't forget "Conway & Macken = God on Steroids" :P
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Donny B. wrote:
the spoofer wrote:

I saw his two tries against England, both run ins. I'm not writing him off but I have serious doubts about his ability to play fullback. His positioning was poor to the extent that the right wing told him where to stand on a number of occasions. He never challenged for a high ball. He missed tackles. In other words he had a shocker.

On the plus side, he is 18, talented and is lightening quick. But he does not look to be a fullback, more a wing and I think he would be better employed by the 20's in that position.

Then again, as I said, other than the scrum half and outhalf, none of the U20's backs did themselves any good against Wales.
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

the spoofer wrote: I saw his two tries against England, both run ins. I'm not writing him off but I have serious doubts about his ability to play fullback. His positioning was poor to the extent that the right wing told him where to stand on a number of occasions. He never challenged for a high ball. He missed tackles. In other words he had a shocker.

On the plus side, he is 18, talented and is lightening quick. But he does not look to be a fullback, more a wing and I think he would be better employed by the 20's in that position.

Then again, as I said, other than the scrum half and outhalf, none of the U20's backs did themselves any good against Wales.
I think he's a winger too. A natural flyer. It's only his first year out of school and most star players are thrown into either outhalf or fullback in school but don't necessarily end up there. Drico, Darce and Fitzgerald are good examples. Likewise with forewards playing number 8 in school.
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

er lads yez are drifting away from the SCT topic of this thread :?
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

Oh and by the way, word in Kielys last night is that McAuley is already signed up for Ulssssssster. So he might be the next Conway but he'll be their Conway.
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

backrower8 wrote:er lads yez are drifting away from the SCT topic of this thread :?
Sorry, so who do you think will win?
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

ronk wrote:
backrower8 wrote:er lads yez are drifting away from the SCT topic of this thread :?
Sorry, so who do you think will win?
Smart + Arse :mullet 4:
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

gleesonisgod wrote:Oh and by the way, word in Kielys last night is that McAuley is already signed up for Ulssssssster. So he might be the next Conway but he'll be their Conway.
Well as he's an Ulster lad, fair enough. Can we at least have Garret O Suilleabhain?
Eristic
Knowledgeable

Post by Eristic »

Donny B. wrote:
gleesonisgod wrote:Oh and by the way, word in Kielys last night is that McAuley is already signed up for Ulssssssster. So he might be the next Conway but he'll be their Conway.
Well as he's an Ulster lad, fair enough. Can we at least have Garret O Suilleabhain?
Its funny how a lad who couldnt hit a barn door in the semi's managed to get 6 from 7 and at least 4 of which from the touch line in the final, he looks a natural footballer though, did well for his try and offered alot in midfield. I dont know if he would be classy enough to make it through to the top level.

I think a few Michael's players should also be in with a shout for academy or sub academy spots. Kelly, Marsh and Dix had been outstanding in the cup so far, and I thought Marsh and Dix had good games in the final also but all three's impact on the game were limited by the excellent (all 5th year) clongowes back row.
Noel Reid and James Rodriguez were separated at birth.
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

Blue Steel wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote:I don't know how much of the above is true or not (and people connected with Michaels seem to be making an amount of noise about it), but I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two of the Michaels players getting up from the first ruck and doing a Nick Kennedy!
St Michaels operate under the Holy Ghosts' strict code of conduct - foul play of any kind is not tolerated (especially gouging) and if you get a straight red, you get expelled.

Would it were that the Jesuit schools had the same moral compass, the same inate decency.

If they had, any alledged gouger would be doing his leaving certificate on his own in some GAA club rented especially for the occasion and not lining out for the senior cup side.

The Jesuits famous motto is "give me the child until he is seven and I will give you the man" - clearly that senior counsel should have been more worried about the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980.
Just so you know, the Michaels 15 stamped on Gilsenan's head in the last play of the game. Linesman flagged it but the ref had already blown for full time. As far as I'm aware this resulted in a night in hospital for Gilsenan.

Will he be subject to some sort of punishment under the Holy Ghost's strict code of conduct?
jimmy the bone
Bookworm

Post by jimmy the bone »

Sure why bother I hear your allowed to gouge at schools level now I'm sure the Branch will have no problem with a little head stamping
Enter the Dragon
pulldownthemaul
Beginner

Post by pulldownthemaul »

gleesonisgod wrote:
Blue Steel wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote:I don't know how much of the above is true or not (and people connected with Michaels seem to be making an amount of noise about it), but I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two of the Michaels players getting up from the first ruck and doing
Just so you know, the Michaels 15 stamped on Gilsenan's head in the last play of the game. Linesman flagged it but the ref had already blown for full time. As far as I'm aware this resulted in a night in hospital for Gilsenan.

Will he be subject to some sort of punishment under the Holy Ghost's strict code of conduct?
If the touch judge flagged it, the referee would have (should have) given him a red card, even after the final whistle. A ref can issue cards up until 40 minutes after the final whistle. I didn't notice this flagging, is there a clip on youtube?
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

pulldownthemaul wrote: If the touch judge flagged it, the referee would have (should have) given him a red card, even after the final whistle. A ref can issue cards up until 40 minutes after the final whistle. I didn't notice this flagging, is there a clip on youtube?
Should be up on the Setanta site soon enough. Literally the last play of the game, ruck on the near side on the 22.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

gleesonisgod wrote:
pulldownthemaul wrote: If the touch judge flagged it, the referee would have (should have) given him a red card, even after the final whistle. A ref can issue cards up until 40 minutes after the final whistle. I didn't notice this flagging, is there a clip on youtube?
Should be up on the Setanta site soon enough. Literally the last play of the game, ruck on the near side on the 22.
That was a serious stamp but the one on Clongowes 4 by Michaels front row at 5.28 into the game is Clohesseyesq.

The branch should really come down hard on the perpetrator. At least a year ban is justified.